Teacher Participation......

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you probably wouldn't have been there to begin with!!

:sad2: WOW! I wouldn't have been at a school dance, unless they needed me as a chaperone, but you have no way of knowing if people are involved in different parts of the school.

Teacher here. Let me tell you about my week. FYI that I am in every AM at 7.

Monday: Stay late (about 5/ I can leave at 4)
Tuesday: Grade level meeting (leave about 4:30)
Wednesday: all hands meeting (leave about 4:40). I have to switch with hubby to pick up dd for ballet
Thursday: Set up for book fair. Have to leave around 4 to get DD to ballet
Friday: Will probably work until 5 to prepare for next week.

That doesn't count the stuff I take home. I have excellent parent support but there are still things I must do. I do try & go to a few things every year but it really is, as others have said, more time being 'on' as a teacher.

You people just can't handle a challenge! Period!

I'm signing off too......to those of you genuine posters, who took the time to post, thank you. I got some great ideas, about ways to perhaps increase teacher participation. I certainly don't want it to be a "job" for them to come.....and hopefully will put some of your ideas to work. :)

To the rest.....nice playing with you!!:lmao::rotfl2::banana::crazy2::hyper:

So, the only responses you appreciate are the ones giving you ideas for increasing teacher participation, and you don't appreciate the ones who tried in vain to explain to you why teacher's have valid reasons for not participating. Got it, troll.

I have been lurking all day, wondering if I should post.

I became a teacher later in life than most. I had several jobs, before I chose to teach. I cannot believe, how many of my peers complain about the work they have to do. It is a job. We are supposed to work hard. Sometimes we are asked to attend activities outside of our classrooms, that we would rather not attend. I choose to go because I have a great job. I make 3 times as much money, as I did working 12 hour (physically demanding) shifts. I have summers and holidays off with my kids. I have a great pension when I retire. I have top notch benefits. My building, is cool when it is hot and warm when it is cold. Why would I complain? If all my PTO asks of me, is to go and attend a couple of activities throughout the year, then I will. I think, if more of us in the teaching profession, had to work a 12 hour shift at most jobs, we wouldn't make it!

You are correct they have. I just always assumed, that teachers love children! But, maybe you're right, it's not fun for them. Perhaps the pay, benefits, pension, holidays are what entice them, as with any other job. But with any job, sometimes "extras" are asked of you and depending on the type of person you are, you will do it because you are asked, or you won't.

I was a teacher for many years and now am involved in the educational system in a different role. I went into teaching and continue within education because I love children. Some of the most joyful moments of my life have been with children while I was working with them as part of my job. I laugh with them; I cry with them. I work my butt off to be the best educator I can possibly be.

But, when I'm done with work I'm done. I want to spend time with my family. I want to play around on the DIS. I want to watch The Big Bang Theory. I have absolutely no desire to have social time with the students I work with or their families. We are not friends. We do not have a social relationship. That doesn't mean I have never attended these events. I have, many times. Most of my time would be spent with a parent or two bending my ear about their child or a particular issue. It almost never ends up being fun. It ends up being a bit of a chore. Now, I put on a happy face and fake it for the sake of the kids (who I love, did I mention that??).

I became a teacher later in life than most. I had several jobs, before I chose to teach. I cannot believe, how many of my peers complain about the work they have to do. It is a job. We are supposed to work hard. Sometimes we are asked to attend activities outside of our classrooms, that we would rather not attend. I choose to go because I have a great job. I make 3 times as much money, as I did working 12 hour (physically demanding) shifts. I have summers and holidays off with my kids. I have a great pension when I retire. I have top notch benefits. My building, is cool when it is hot and warm when it is cold. Why would I complain? If all my PTO asks of me, is to go and attend a couple of activities throughout the year, then I will. I think, if more of us in the teaching profession, had to work a 12 hour shift at most jobs, we wouldn't make it!

Everyone complains about the work they do. And you sounds like you are in one of those union areas in the north. I make little money, have o.k. benefits, and no pension because i teach at a private school in order to give my child the best education possible in our area. It is a choice I am happy with, but I just want to point out that not all teachers are paid on the same scale with great benefits. Our teachers are required to attend all PTO meetings, and we go, if not cheerfully. Frequently, our PTO meetings last until 8:30 or 9:00 on a Monday night. I'm wiped out the next day. And I truly don't enjoy the impromptu parent meetings late at night when I am already tired and honestly can't remember what Johnny or anybody else did in school that day.

You probably didn't mean it the way it comes across, but there ar quite a few of us teachers who worked other jobs before becoming teachers. I worked a at publishing company and had insane hours when our major deadlines approched. However, I could come home and have down time. As a teacher, I frequently work at night on lesson plans and grading. I also communicate with parents often by phone and email. Oh, and I help studnts who email me questions too. Sometimes, I feel like I have no real family time at all because my job has no set hours.

I'm a teacher. I try and attend at least two sporting events per team per season. I also volunteer to help at the dances. I'm not much of a dancer though.

I do have two children of my own and they have activities that keep us from doing everything. I hope that parents are not holding it against me because I was not at a recent event, because I was at a soccer game for my own children.

Also just to point out, at many recent conferences I have attended, the legal sessions usually cover how teachers should not participate in events that they are not paid to be at. Now, I don't take that as seriously yet, but they really have started stressing it. Which is sad for many students that would love to see their teachers at those events.

I won't comment more, because this thread seems to be a bash against teachers not caring. I have seen quite a few threads that are down on teachers lately. Sad, because most people don't understand that many complaints should go higher up than just the teacher.

Mrsdennison( Who loves her job!)

WOO-HOO - love that you take time and do it and would never hold it against a teacher for not being there. If I had even a quarter of the 40 or so teachers at our school who are like you - I would never even had to comment on this thread.

Unfortunately we don't even have 1 out of 40 who attend events like you do!

I am glad that there are some out there like you. Wanna change districts?

I don't think that's a fair assumption. The fact that some teachers don't gladly give up their free time to attend these optional events doesn't mean that they couldn't handle a job with more demanding hours. It just means that, when given a choice, they choose to spend their free time doing something else. Teachers put in plenty of time when they are supposed to be "off the clock". As a teacher, you know there are plenty of things that aren't optional which take place outside of normal school hours that teachers do attend. But there will always be people who want even more of their time - like the OP for example. The teachers have the right to draw the line somewhere, and for some that means not attending optional social events like Halloween parties and dances.

I don't think that's a fair assumption. The fact that some teachers don't gladly give up their free time to attend these optional events doesn't mean that they couldn't handle a job with more demanding hours. It just means that, when given a choice, they choose to spend their free time doing something else. Teachers put in plenty of time when they are supposed to be "off the clock". As a teacher, you know there are plenty of things that aren't optional which take place outside of normal school hours that teachers do attend. But there will always be people who want even more of their time - like the OP for example. The teachers have the right to draw the line somewhere, and for some that means not attending optional social events like Halloween parties and dances.

I can't recall, saying that the reason I felt that my peers and I couldn't handle a 12 hour workday at many jobs, was because teachers wouldn't attend PTO events? Sorry, if you got that impression.

I am just tired of my peers, complaining about things that are irrelevant. So, if these hard working parents need 2-3 hours of my time every now and again, than I am happy to do it.

I'll give you an example. I have a widowed Dad with a son in my class. He has a boy and a girl both under 7. His Mom helps him with childcare (great Grandma;)) so he can go to work for 6am. He came to see me a few weeks ago, for a parent/teacher conference. He drove 45 mins for a 15 minute conversation with me. (I offered to meet him on the weekend, or chat on the phone with him if that was easier. He insisted, on coming in like all other parents though.) He arrived filthy, stinky, covered in black tar and with a huge smile on his face. He works for a paving company and has been working in dangerous, 100 degree conditions on the highway, all day. After our interview, he was headed back to finish the job, before he was out of daylight. I was in my air conditioned classroom all day, with the person he would most like to be spending time with. As a teacher it makes me try harder.

So, after meeting with him, I head into the staff room and listen to 2 co-workers complain for 10 minutes, about how the coffee maker is on the fritz and the school should be buying us a new one. Should they? Probably. I told them next time I was passing by a yard sale, I would pick them one up for 3 bucks. Really?:confused3

I have had great educational opportunities in my life. Have I worked hard? Without a doubt! I also know, not everyone has been so lucky and I have been in a work environment, without all the "perks" I have now. I don't forget that and I don't judge. This man's situation isn't unique. Our PTO is made up of lots of hard working parents, just like me. If they can find the time to make their kids school career more interesting, than I'm on board with my support. A few hours here and there won't kill me. (And my kids, or a least a couple of them, tag along 99% of the time and they love it!)

For the record I have 5 kids of my own. I can't even tell you how much we run in a week. :cheer2: Boggles my mind sometimes! Some people in life, just get out there and do it though and are happy to.........

Everyone complains about the work they do. And you sounds like you are in one of those union areas in the north. I make little money, have o.k. benefits, and no pension because i teach at a private school in order to give my child the best education possible in our area. It is a choice I am happy with, but I just want to point out that not all teachers are paid on the same scale with great benefits.
(snipped)

Are you including tuition in that assessment of little money and ok benefits? Tuition is a huge benefit, and an easy way to make more and not be taxed on it.

That said, teachers need to be able to lead their own lives. Some seem to see it as a calling, others as a job. Both can be excellent teachers.

I can't recall, saying that the reason I felt that my peers and I couldn't handle a 12 hour workday at many jobs, was because teachers wouldn't attend PTO events? Sorry, if you got that impression.

I am just tired of my peers, complaining about things that are irrelevant. So, if these hard working parents need 2-3 hours of my time every now and again, than I am happy to do it.

I'll give you an example. I have a widowed Dad with a son in my class. He has a boy and a girl both under 7. His Mom helps him with childcare (great Grandma;)) so he can go to work for 6am. He came to see me a few weeks ago, for a parent/teacher conference. He drove 45 mins for a 15 minute conversation with me. (I offered to meet him on the weekend, or chat on the phone with him if that was easier. He insisted, on coming in like all other parents though.) He arrived filthy, stinky, covered in black tar and with a huge smile on his face. He works for a paving company and has been working in dangerous, 100 degree conditions on the highway, all day. After our interview, he was headed back to finish the job, before he was out of daylight. I was in my air conditioned classroom all day, with the person he would most like to be spending time with. As a teacher it makes me try harder.

So, after meeting with him, I head into the staff room and listen to 2 co-workers complain for 10 minutes, about how the coffee maker is on the fritz and the school should be buying us a new one. Should they? Probably. I told them next time I was passing by a yard sale, I would pick them one up for 3 bucks. Really?:confused3

I have had great educational opportunities in my life. Have I worked hard? Without a doubt! I also know, not everyone has been so lucky and I have been in a work environment, without all the "perks" I have now. I don't forget that and I don't judge. This man's situation isn't unique. Our PTO is made up of lots of hard working parents, just like me. If they can find the time to make their kids school career more interesting, than I'm on board with my support. A few hours here and there won't kill me. (And my kids, or a least a couple of them, tag along 99% of the time and they love it!)

For the record I have 5 kids of my own. I can't even tell you how much we run in a week. :cheer2: Boggles my mind sometimes! Some people in life, just get out there and do it though and are happy to.........

Wow you sure found out a lot about the dad in that short interview! Welcome I see that you are new here yet you found a teacher thread right away. Congrats.

Wow you sure found out a lot about the dad in that short interview! Welcome I see that you are new here yet you found a teacher thread right away. Congrats.

We live in a fairly small town. You know how that goes......

I have been here for awhile. I just never take the time to post! Thanks for the welcome. Gotta go, my darlings will be arriving soon;)

We live in a fairly small town. You know how that goes......

I have been here for awhile. I just never take the time to post! Thanks for the welcome. Gotta go, my darlings will be arriving soon;)

Hmmm, wonder if you joined about the same time that jackjack08 left the thread. :rolleyes1

I want to extend my wishes for a good day to classroom teachers.

On a daily basis, teachers do so much more than just teach reading or math to your children. They comfort children that come in crying because of bad situations at home, try to buy little things for those children that at poorer and then find ways to give it to them so they aren't accused of favoritism by parents of the 'haves' and sometimes find ways to help them and their families with new clothing. They deal with issues of children of drug users and comfort children of prostitutes. They wipe away tears of children whose parents are too drunk to show up for a special event at school.

Teachers work very hard to build self esteem and try to help each child find his special talents. Sure they have a curriculum, but the job doesn't stop there or with meetings or paper work. Anyone who thinks a teacher can leave the school building and leave behind the emotions and hardships that she/he sees on a daily basis ( and, yes, even in the supposed best of schools) is lacking in understanding of what actually happens in a classroom. If the job were simply about reading, writing and arithmetic, it would be a snap.

Sometimes, a teacher just needs to be away for a while to deal with and think about all the issues that occur in a classroom in addition to finding new and better ways to reach all the children he/she teaches.

And I can keep posting but I thought some people were on the verge of a heart attack so I had better quit.:rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter