• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

teacher myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myth*

Papers should be graded within a day or two being turned in...

DW teaches HS English and when she assigns a 10-page research paper, that means she ends up with 1,200+ pages to grade. Sorry, that's not getting graded overnight...
That's so funny. I love when kids hand me a test before lunch and then after lunch ask me if I'm handing them back. :rotfl:
Yes, I put them in the magic grading machine and they are all done now.

I understand the step IS the raise. So why, during contract years, do the Teachers and the Unions try and play the martyr, saying they are taking a 0% raise, when they just is not true. Certainly the 0% means that the entire amount of salary available is not increasing, but it does not freeze the steps. Someone going from Step 9 to Step 10 IS still getting a raise, usually in a % range that is more than what most people are getting.

A PP mentioned about the contracts being in place prior to the economic collapse. That is true, but TWO districts in my area went on strike in each of the past 2 years, WHILE the crisis has been going on. They still sought increases in the realm of 8%-9% (total salary schedule increases :eek: ). This would have put some of the step increases, that are already 5%-12% as high as 18%. How can you honestly say that taking an 18% raise, just because you worked an extra year is fine? Especially when that 9% salary increase would have been placed on the shoulders of the taxpayers, who, themselves were ACTUALLY taking 0% raises and even pay cuts!

I've never been in the situation of taking a 0% raise, so I can't answer that for you. The union in my district voted against a pay freeze this year because when the Superintendent was questioned, he said people were still going to be laid off regardless. What people don't understand is that in order to do a pay freeze, the entire contract needs to be reopened and then anything in the contract could be changed. So we did not opt for that. We are going into the last year of our contract this year, so it will be interesting to see what happens or how long negotiations take.

I never said anything about an 18% raise. Those step increases are not something we see in my district. The highest percentage I ever got was when I moved from a BS to an MEd degree, which moved me over to the next column on the pay scale, but believe me, even that wasn't that high.

I love my job. I wouldn't do it if I didn't. The thing that bothers me is that there are so many people that say whatever they please about teachers because they pay taxes. While you (the collective YOU, not anyone in particular) can say what you want, I think people need to understand that if what they say is not accurate, there are going to be people that step up and tell you how it really is.

I don't think my job is better than anyone else's, but if people are given wrong information, I have no problem correcting that. Do I think anyone can teach? Nope. I've had a few student teachers that have proven that.

I love my job. I wouldn't do it if I didn't. The thing that bothers me is that there are so many people that say whatever they please about teachers because they pay taxes. While you (the collective YOU, not anyone in particular) can say what you want, I think people need to understand that if what they say is not accurate, there are going to be people that step up and tell you how it really is.

I don't think my job is better than anyone else's, but if people are given wrong information, I have no problem correcting that. Do I think anyone can teach? Nope. I've had a few student teachers that have proven that.

:worship:

Isn't it funny that some people perceive stating facts as complaining? Until they have taught in a classroom for a few weeks, they'll never understand. :sad2:

I've also had a couple of student teachers who didn't pass their internship. Like you said, not everyone has the ability to be a teacher.

Okay, first I love teachers. I really do. But when I find a "teachers only" board thats titled the "Vent board", I get very upset.

All they do is bash parents and kids who have problems. Didn't anyone tell you teachers that you weren't going to teach perfect kids?

Don't the teachers know that parents lurk??? That board is what really gives teachers a bad name. There are a few who get it, and respond to the thread but they are ignored. Only a few though!

After reading I have to do a mantra and repeat.... all teachers are not like this... all teachers are not like this.....

As for pay, the excellent teachers I have had in my life with my kids deserve a million dollars a year. I can't count how many times I tried to get thru to my dd about her grades or that she is so smart that she can do whatever she wants.... and find out a teacher talked to her after school and repeated the same thing, and I was so grateful. She is now in nursing school and making great grades!

But then I had two other children who have disabilities and there behavior wasn't perfect, and then I get treated differently. According to them, It was basically was due to my parenting. Many teachers don't understand about invisible disabilities and just want to blame us. It's an easy way out.

So although the wonderful teachers who "get it" should be paid so much more, the other idiots should be kicked to the curb.

I am just tired of being bashed because I am a parent. I am also tired of my kids being bashed because they are not perfect Suzie, or perfect Johnny who have no issues.

I'm just tired.
BTW I have to restrain my kids too.

Teachers are always complaining, though. Geez. Even here, compare the teacher complaints with any other field. If you don't like the field, don't like dealing with the parents and administrators, don't like the pay, get another job. Never has a group strung out the martyr behavior like teachers.

They want to be treated like professionals but will strike if they don't get their way. What kind of professional does that?

Eeyore's, bless you for what you do. Restraints are one of the hardest procedures out there.

If you read the thread carefully, you will find that teachers are not complaining about their jobs or salary for the most part. The reason that i posted this thread was to dispel myths that are stated as facts by those not in the teaching profession.

I happen to love my job as a teacher. I love the daily interaction with students. And, while I would like to make more money, I think that is how most people feel about their jobs. It certainly isn't only a problem in the education field.

One of the teacher myths being stated as fact is right here in this post. While teacher's unions may be strong in some parts of the country, they are practically non-existent in the South. Teacher strikes are pretty much unheard of here.

Okay, first I love teachers. I really do. But when I find a "teachers only" board thats titled the "Vent board", I get very upset.

All they do is bash parents and kids who have problems. Didn't anyone tell you teachers that you weren't going to teach perfect kids?

Don't the teachers know that parents lurk??? That board is what really gives teachers a bad name. There are a few who get it, and respond to the thread but they are ignored. Only a few though!

After reading I have to do a mantra and repeat.... all teachers are not like this... all teachers are not like this.....

As for pay, the excellent teachers I have had in my life with my kids deserve a million dollars a year. I can't count how many times I tried to get thru to my dd about her grades or that she is so smart that she can do whatever she wants.... and find out a teacher talked to her after school and repeated the same thing, and I was so grateful. She is now in nursing school and making great grades!

But then I had two other children who have disabilities and there behavior wasn't perfect, and then I get treated differently. According to them, It was basically was due to my parenting. Many teachers don't understand about invisible disabilities and just want to blame us. It's an easy way out.

So although the wonderful teachers who "get it" should be paid so much more, the other idiots should be kicked to the curb.

I am just tired of being bashed because I am a parent. I am also tired of my kids being bashed because they are not perfect Suzie, or perfect Johnny who have no issues.

I'm just tired.

No one is bashing you as a parent. We are trying to share information about teaching because it is obvious that there are a lot of misconceptions out there.

BTW, I'm a parent too. And the parent of a child with ADHD at that. Last year, her teacher moved her desk to wall and told her she couldn't interact with the other kids because she bothered them. Of course, I immediately asked for a conference and took care of the situation.

I've been in your situation where one of her teachers implied that my daughter's behavior was my fault. It does happen. And I'm very sorry that it has happened to you.

On the other hand, I've also had parents try to accuse me of all manner of things because their child told them about an incident at school while leaving out a few "facts." What is need is mutual respect. It is wonderful when teachers and parents work together for the good of the students instead of acting as adversaries.

I don't know one single teacher that acts "Godlike" or has a superiority complex. The only time I see teachers "complain" about pay is when people post on websites how over paid and underworked teachers are and how teachers should be available 24/7 to accommodate everyone elses' work schedule.

ITA! I have never seen a thread here where a teacher starts out "complaining". It is usually a thread about community supplies, a teacher who did something a parent did not like, or pulling a child out of school. Somehow it turns into a thread where non-teachers keep pointing out how teachers get paid too much according to the months they work and how they get so much time off, how they could easily do what the teachers does, etc. etc. Or someone starts talking about how teachers make $100K a year, which is not a reality for most teachers. That is when teachers react and tell the facts of their job to point out that its not an easy job, even if we do love teaching. If someone was bashing your chosen career or your personal choice, you would probably react too. That's why some types of threads have been banned(political, etc).

:worship:

Isn't it funny that some people perceive stating facts as complaining? Until they have taught in a classroom for a few weeks, they'll never understand. :sad2:

I've also had a couple of student teachers who didn't pass their internship. Like you said, not everyone has the ability to be a teacher.

It definitely is not easy. I can't find the information right now, but at a conference, I was told that around 20% of teachers in NC do not make it through their third year, and about half of those quit after the first year. It can be really stressful to be thrust into a classroom and expected to be able to manage the classroom, assess each child, meet each child's individual need, deal with parents, etc. You learn these things from a book and have a few months as a student teacher, but nothing prepares you for that initial shock. You either rise to the occasion or you choose another career. One lady I know from church went to school and got her teaching degree. She started teaching in August and lasted until November. She is a smart, determined person, but she couldn't handle the stress. Even after years of teaching, the students with behavior problems, the parent complaints, and the endless assessments make me want to scream. Luckily, I have great support from other teachers and my principal, and I know in my heart this is what I am meant to do.

I'm just tired.

Is that vent board here on the Dis? And if it is a teachers only board, why is it accessible by parents?

I do need to vent sometimes, but it is usually done in private, with someone I know I can trust. If I didn't get these feelings off my chest, I would probably be in the loony bin, LOL.

I wouldn't say MANY teachers are like you describe, but there are some out there in every school. As the mom of a child with an invisible disability, I feel your pain. I've learned I have to be the squeaky wheel when I go up against teachers like that, even though that is not comfortable for me. I always worried I would turn them against my child, but if you stay calm and logical, they will respect you for it, and hopefully not make that same mistake with the next child.

As for restraining a child, IMHO it is a totally different beast when it is not your child you are restraining. You have to worry about hurting the child, the child saying you hurt them(when you didn't), or even being sued by the parent. We only have certain teachers who are trained. The rest are told to protect the other students and call the principal.

I can tell you I have almost been fired for a parent saying I did something I did not do. If I did not have witnesses, I would probably be in another career right now.

On the other hand, I've also had parents try to accuse me of all manner of things because their child told them about an incident at school while leaving out a few "facts." What is need is mutual respect. It is wonderful when teachers and parents work together for the good of the students instead of acting as adversaries.

This. Most of my parents have this attitude(mutual respect) and it really is best for the child. I think most teachers have it too. We tend to hear mostly the exceptions on this type of board, because it is a place where people post about things that are troubling.

My son has a writing disability and has an accommodation to use the computer for writing. One day he came home and told me he didn't get to use the computer. I was not happy because I thought the teacher was refusing to do what was in his IEP. I calmed down before I talked to her, thank God. Turns out, my sweet little boy had neglected to tell me that he was typing up and printing out invitations to a Bey Blade tournament for his friends instead of doing his work:lmao: I think he had done 10 before the teacher caught on. So, his removal from the computer for that morning was perfectly acceptable. He was asked to do his other assignments and had to do his writing as homework that night.

Oh, and one more thing--for those who always harp on how much time teachers get off; believe me, you would not want your child in my class if I didn't get that time off. It is decompression time. I worked summer school ONCE, and the next year, I came close to losing it quite a few times in the classroom. Haven't worked summer school since. We all have that type of day as parents, but multiply it by how many kids are in a classroom, and it is definitely stressful. Kids can do some really annoying stuff ;-). I can't lose it in the classroom like I can at home either.

Marsha

Of course you don't.:rolleyes: They are all over the place and in fact, there are several right here on the DIS. You just choose not to see it, and that is your right. But it does exist.

I guess it is all in how you look at it. You have your undies in a wad because your child's teacher wants the kids to come in for an hour before school starts to get everyone on the right track, you see it as them being "Godlike" and 'overstepping their boundaries". I see it as being efficient and looking out for the best interest of the children. Yes, it appears it is inconvenient for you but, news flash, kids are NOT convenient. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I guess it is all in how you look at it. You have your undies in a wad because your child's teacher wants the kids to come in for an hour before school starts to get everyone on the right track, you see it as them being "Godlike" and 'overstepping their boundaries". I see it as being efficient and looking out for the best interest of the children. Yes, it appears it is inconvenient for you but, news flash, kids are NOT convenient. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

You said it! Nothing about having a kid is convenient!

I have to asses 11 kindergarteners somehow by September 10th. They start Monday and are only there 2 1/2 hours through Tuesday. During this time, I have to go over rules, give a tour of the building, introduce them to the classroom materials and show them how to use them, etc. On Wednesday, the PreK's that were there W-F this week will join us and we will start full days. Those first few days will be crazy and I may be able to start assessing by next Friday. I have 4 language assessments to do with each child, along with determining their reading level. Takes about 35-40 minutes per child. We have the next Monday off for Labor Day and then an early release day that Wednesday:confused3. I really don't know how I will get it done, but I don't have a choice. I may. be doing it on the playground while the other children play.

I have already suggested to the principal that we assess in the afternoons after staggered entry next year. Hopefully, we can get at least 1/2 the assessments done early that way.

Someone mentioned assessments later in the year and how the first one should be done the same way. The difference is that the kids have settled, and have had experience with the assessment process. Not all kids need every assessment after the first time, and it goes much quicker.

I have to asses 11 kindergarteners somehow by September 10th. They start Monday and are only there 2 1/2 hours through Tuesday. During this time, I have to go over rules, give a tour of the building, introduce them to the classroom materials and show them how to use them, etc. On Wednesday, the PreK's that were there W-F this week will join us and we will start full days. Those first few days will be crazy and I may be able to start assessing by next Friday. I have 4 language assessments to do with each child, along with determining their reading level. Takes about 35-40 minutes per child. We have the next Monday off for Labor Day and then an early release day that Wednesday:confused3. I really don't know how I will get it done, but I don't have a choice. I may. be doing it on the playground while the other children play.

I have already suggested to the principal that we assess in the afternoons after staggered entry next year. Hopefully, we can get at least 1/2 the assessments done early that way.

Someone mentioned assessments later in the year and how the first one should be done the same way. The difference is that the kids have settled, and have had experience with the assessment process. Not all kids need every assessment after the first time, and it goes much quicker.

When our kids were in kindergarten the kindergarten kids started a week after the rest of the school. The teachers used that week to do their initial assessments. I remember DD wouldn't say the alphabet for the teachers-but was singing it in the car on the way home:lmao:. The teacher knew her and knew that she knew it but she was just being a stinker that day. There were some kids that wouldn't say a WORD during the assessment so that takes even longer.

Their kindergarten teacher had a fun activity to show them around the school-she read them the story of the Gingerbread man and then they had to go "find" him around the school. They would look all over (meeting the principal, secretary, music teacher, gym teacher, lunch ladies, etc. along the way). They came back to the classroom to find gingerbread men cookies waiting for them. I headed up a fundraiser at the beginning of the school year so I was at school a lot then. It always amazed me how much time it takes to teach kindergartners to walk in a line quietly in the hallway :lmao:. Something that seems so simple for us, but not for them. People forget that.

When our kids were in kindergarten the kindergarten kids started a week after the rest of the school. The teachers used that week to do their initial assessments. I remember DD wouldn't say the alphabet for the teachers-but was singing it in the car on the way home:lmao:. The teacher knew her and knew that she knew it but she was just being a stinker that day. There were some kids that wouldn't say a WORD during the assessment so that takes even longer.

Their kindergarten teacher had a fun activity to show them around the school-she read them the story of the Gingerbread man and then they had to go "find" him around the school. They would look all over (meeting the principal, secretary, music teacher, gym teacher, lunch ladies, etc. along the way). They came back to the classroom to find gingerbread men cookies waiting for them. I headed up a fundraiser at the beginning of the school year so I was at school a lot then. It always amazed me how much time it takes to teach kindergartners to walk in a line quietly in the hallway :lmao:. Something that seems so simple for us, but not for them. People forget that.

Ah, yes, we have those who will not even speak to use during the assessment, or just pretend they don't know anything. Luckily, this is just a baseline and we have to assess at the end of first quarter as well. By then, the kids should be comfortable showing me what they know.

Marsha

Exactly. As I said before, if a parent chooses not to take theri child so be it but no whining if tht child misses recess or specials to be assesed. And please don't get all persnickety if teh teacher places the child in the group that seemed most appropriate based on the childs progress the prior year. As much as I want all children to succeed in school, as much as I want as many children to be accomodated as ppossible and as many times I vote yes, (along with the majority of our town) on the budget, i do not want my DGD or any other child killing time during class because a parent did not want to make time for a test prior to school starting. I do not believe all of the responsibility for education should be placed on teachers.

Respectfully, I do not think ilovesugar's complaint was that she has to go in early. It was that she not aware that assessments would be happening before school began, was given a week's notice for her appointment, was assigned a date/time that didn't work with her schedule, and was not given any other reasonable options.

I think torinsmom's suggestion is excellent. I hope that if the school decides to do that, they notify the parents during kindergarten registration that these assessments will be happening in the afternoons after staggered entry. Even if they can't tell parents exactly what dates/times will be available, at least parents will know that the child will be needed on one of those afternoons and can make plans for it. Hopefully when it comes time to assign actual times, the school will be able to give more than a weeks notice and/or offer a way for the parents to choose the most convenient time (from the times available) for them.

Respectfully, I do not think ilovesugar's complaint was that she has to go in early. It was that she was given a week's notice, assigned a date/time that didn't work with her schedule, and not given any other reasonable options.

I think torinsmom's suggestion is excellent. I hope that if the school decides to do that, they notify the parents during kindergarten registration that these assessments will be happening in the afternoons after staggered entry. Even if they can't tell parents exactly what dates/times will be available, at least parents will know that the child will be needed on one of those afternoons and can make plans for it. Hopefully when it comes time to assign actual times, the school will be able to give more than a weeks notice and/or offer a way for the parents to choose the most convenient time (from the times available) for them.

So how is this any different then getting a week's notice to come in for an hour?? You may only get a days notice in this case.

So how is this any different then getting a week's notice to come in for an hour?? You may only get a days notice in this case.

Actually, if you read my next sentence, you'll see that I said that I hoped the school would be able to give more than a week's notice for the actual appointment times. At our school, kindergarten registration is in February. School starts in August. Tell the parents in February that assessments will be happening on August 25-27 in the afternoon. They might not receive their actual appointment time until July, but at least they'll be aware that they'll be receiving one. (But I also think the school should be able to assign the appointment times farther than 1 week in advance!)

If I knew that my child would be needed on one of three afternoons, I would do my best to make sure that I didn't schedule any critical meetings, business trips, etc for those days until I knew which day my appointment was on, or that I had a "back-up plan" in place for those afternoons. It's not unreasonable to ask parents to bring their children in for an assessment. It is unreasonable to give them a week's notice and assign a time without consulting them.

I don't know about your school, but our kindergarten registration is in the spring, so 4-5 months before the assessments would be. Most of our K's are returning students(they come back to the same class), so I am thinking we could have parents sign up the last week of school for a time that first week. The problem will be them remembering their appointment, but I guess I could call a week before to remind them. I don't know when parents of our new kindergarteners could sign up. Classes are not assigned until sometime in the summer for new students, and teachers are expected to assess their own students.

I do give my parents a choice of when to come in for conferences. I send home a sign up sheet several weeks in advance with all the available times and have parents list their first, second and third choices. Most get their first or second choice.

Marsha

The Myth - "Teachers don't make any money"

I know a 3rd grade teacher who makes almost $80 grand a year. She has a masters, but Puleeez - why are we hiring people with Masters degrees to teach 3rd grade for $80 grand. Sounds like a living wage to me! Plus the time off all summer, tenure, plus the pensions and retirement package...I wish I had become a teacher. Is this the exception?

My daughter just started teaching full time in the Orlando area. She is teaching at a private school because there are no teaching jobs available in this area with the public school systems. She is making $22k for ten months. She gets no benefits. I also work at that school. I am supposed to work half days. I never put in less than six hours. I ususally do all my planning in the evenings, because there is never time to do it during the day. I get paid $13k for ten months. I teach computer, art and do private tutoring in English. I also do most of the administrative functions. I also maintain the school website. Although I did not start getting paid until 8/19, I worked most of the summer enrolling new students, ordering materials, setting up computer records.

Teachers must be at the school by 8:30 am. School starts at 9:00 am and gets out at 3:30 pm. Teachers cannot leave before 4:30 pm. We have 30 minutes for lunch. We cannot leave the building during this time. We eat with the kids. There are no teacher aides. We are responsible for the kids from the minute the enter the building until they leave.

Although my daughter is only making $22k, she teaches 5th Grade through 8th Grade all in one classroom. She teaches all core subjects as well as PE.

I realize that our situation is different than most public schools, but not all teachers make a great living. We are just glad to have teaching jobs. So many teachers in Florida are out of work.

I have never seen a profession say "if spend you a week (day, hours) in my class you would know how hard I have it", "you would never make it a day doing what I do" all things along these lines more than I see teachers say it. That is what I mean by acting godlike.

There are tons of professions where if someone spend a day in that field they would be exhausted, not just teachers. But yet those are the lines I see all the time as if their jobs are SOOOO much harder than everyones. I bet if they spend a day in the life of a accountant, engineer, heck even a receptionist, they would see that those jobs are all difficult as well. Every job has it difficult times and lots of jobs are extremely stressful.

I am not going to continue to go over this with you. You know that once again your not giving the facts of the issue, You are making things up to suit your argument and it is getting really old. If you cannot read and comprehend what my issue is with the asesment, I don't know what to do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter