Teacher Discounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

catzle

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if the Atlantis offers teachers discounts on a room. We are thinking of booking the room for the day so we can hang out at the atlantis. Thought it might be cheaper than booking through the cruise? Anyone know, I can't seem to find prices for day passes at the Atlantis.
Or do they offer Teacher Discounts at the Comfort Hotel.

No discount I know of for teachers.
With all due respect, and not knowing where you live, and what teacher salaries are there, but where I live, teachers salaries are decent enough that they shouldn't need a discount. Starting salary for a teacher here is.....well......more than I make with 34 years experience in my job.

I am a teacher so I've searched as well and I haven't found any discount for teachers for Atlantis.

As to the previous post, it doesn't matter how much money you make as a teacher. To say that you don't deserve a some sort of teacher discount because you make more money than some is ridiculous. You might as well have said that police officers don't deserve the occasional travel perk either. If there is a discount out there that I can take advantage of, I’ll take it.

Ummm...not a moderator here, but a request from a fellow dis-er. Could we maybe stick to a response to a question and not a personal opinion on who does or does not deserve a discount or other perk? Each job has it's own good and bad aspects, and some have some "perks" attached. Some people get discounts based on where they live. It is the right of the person giving a perk or discount to decide who should or should not get one, and it's not my place to criticize their decision.

Ummm...not a moderator here, but a request from a fellow dis-er. Could we maybe stick to a response to a question and not a personal opinion on who does or does not deserve a discount or other perk? Each job has it's own good and bad aspects, and some have some "perks" attached. Some people get discounts based on where they live. It is the right of the person giving a perk or discount to decide who should or should not get one, and it's not my place to criticize their decision.

Very well said.

I am a teacher so I've searched as well and I haven't found any discount for teachers for Atlantis.

As to the previous post, it doesn't matter how much money you make as a teacher. To say that you don't deserve a some sort of teacher discount because you make more money than some is ridiculous. You might as well have said that police officers don't deserve the occasional travel perk either. If there is a discount out there that I can take advantage of, I’ll take it.

As a former member of the law enforcement community, I should point out that a perk like that, if accepted, is grounds for termination.
Sorry if an honest answer upset some folks. Honesty is always the best policy.

As a former member of the law enforcement community, I should point out that a perk like that, if accepted, is grounds for termination.

:confused3

I am with you Junebuggy...

The question was if there was a discount for teachers. Your "honesty" was your opinion, not an answer. Your certainly entitled to your opinion but that doesn't make it an "answer", honest or not.

Okay, another honest question to better explain the basis for my comments.

Do any of your employers put restrictions on gifts or discounts you can receive because of your profession/job ?
As I mentioned, when I was law enforcement in the 1970's it was forbidden. We always paid for our coffee, and all doughnut jokes asside, we always paid for our doughnuts.

I have been in TV for 30 years now, and my current employer forbids us from taking any gift or discount worth more than $25. My previous employer limited gifts and discounts to $50. DW works in TV, and her employer limits gifts/discounts to $35.

I can see a Florida resident discount, or a Southern California resident discount, but anything other than a token discount based on what you do for a living is something that has always been forbidden by my employers.

I can see a Florida resident discount, or a Southern California resident discount, but anything other than a token discount based on what you do for a living is something that has always been forbidden by my employers.

...and therefore the original poster shouldn't have asked about the possibility of a teacher's discount :confused3

Here is my opinion. First, there is a difference between accepting individual gifts from clients and receiving group discounts based on your employment from organizations and companies that provide services. In my company we are not allowed to receive personal gifts above $25, but based on my work status, employees do receive discounts which include things such as discounted gym memberships. There are telephone companies that discount services if you belong to a union. Many occupations and groups receive discounts. If you belong to a group your health insurance may cost less than an individual buying insurance. And whether or not you have received or been allowed to receive a discount in your employment does not have any bearing on whether people should or shouldn't receive one.

...and therefore the original poster shouldn't have asked about the possibility of a teacher's discount :confused3

You certainly can ask.....but, I'm in California, and yes things can be far different here. State workers were required to take furlough days this year. Some stores were offering discounts to state workers on furlough Fridays. Turns out that is illegal in California on two fronts. First, state workers aren't supposed to take ANY gifts related to them being state workers. Second, the discount did not apply to private sector workers who also were forced to take furloughs.
Sorry, but based on where I live, and the jobs I have had over the past 30 years, it did seem a little out of left field to be asking for a profession based discount.

I think it's funny in a sad way that the OP's simple question prompted this sort of "morality" debate about discounts. Why would anyone think that the OP was looking for something that is not allowed?:confused3
I am a member of the Massachusetts Teacher's Association. As such, I have many discounts available to me from a variety of vendors in and out of state. The OP's question made perfect sense to me.

Since the original question has been answered this thread is being closed since it is becoming a debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter