Teach me everything I need to know for November!

PrincessSarah314

Mouseketeer
My husband is a school teacher and so we have always gone to the parks during peak season, specifically the summer and 1 time during Easter.

This year we are doing something crazy and going in the off-season, 11/17-11/20. We will be attending MVMCP (yay!) and have never been to a hard ticket event!

I know the crowds won't be as big but have noticed that the park hours are significantly shorter than we are used to. I'm wondering if we will still be able to ride everything in most parks even with the shorter hours?

What is the weather like? Will it be warm enough for us to swim? We are from Chicago and not sure what to expect. Should we still pack ponchos?

What else do we need to take into consideration when devising our touring plan that may differ from the peak-season/summer touring?!?

I'd be interested in learning more about what to expect in November also. We're scheduled Nov. 19-26 at the WL and WLV. MVMCP date for us is November 20th. Veterans of November please give us some hints as to what to expect. :tink:

The most important tip I can give you is to pack a variety of clothing options. We were there in November 2013 and, while it was hot and sunny for the most part, our long pants and sweatshirts did get worn. Mostly it was the mornings that were coolest, so if you're a RD kind of person, have those sweatshirts handy.

Not sure where goopysolelady is from but, as a fellow Northerner, I can assure PrincessSarah314 that she'll get some good chuckles out of what some people consider "cold". There were many days where we were in shorts and tank tops, surrounded by people in long pants/sweatshirts/jackets. :rotfl:

Bring ponchos, though we only got one day of rain, they were worth it. It's not like summer with the 15 minute downpour and blazing sun immediately afterwards, it was much more like a crappy rainy day back home. Still went on the rides, though!

For swimming, unless you get a really bad time, you'll be swimming. We spent a number of days at the waterparks and we were hardly alone. Some brilliantly hot days during our stay and, I hope, during yours as well.

Park hours will change as you get closer to your trip. We did water parks, not hoppers last time, so had to adjust once or twice to get to the park with the longest hours. In our final day, MK was open until 3AM (this was during Thanksgiving week). Parks were never packed, though there were some crowds from time-to-time. Didn't make any touring plan and never had any waits that stand out in my mind.

We're also going down in November this year as it was just so nice last time.

The weather will vary from hot to cold. Take a light jacket. Our last trip was in November (2012) and we always had enough time to do what we wanted. We hit rope drop and usually left the parks by 8 or 9 pm.

We go November every year, for 15+ years (other times too when we can, but November is our annual trip). I agree completely with PPs about being sure you have some heavier clothes in case it is chilly. We often do shorts during the days, pants and light jacket or sweatshirt at night, but it varies. We never have trouble getting in all the rides. You'll need to rely on FP+ a bit. We've always done some pool time, and waterparks. Things to consider - have a fantastic trip!!:
  • The park hours allow you to plan a great dinner later in the evening, and you aren't missing park time.
  • MK often has later hours on non-party days, because they know guest options are limited.
  • Osborne lights are awesome. MVMCP is awesome (study the planning threads on this before you go, particularly if there are specific characters you want to meet).
  • You'll be amazed how much more energy you have than in summer, since the sun had less chance to suck it out of you all day.
  • We try to do quick service or on the go breakfast and lunches to avoid cutting into prime park time.
  • Mornings can be a little chilly, but it warms up quickly, so I always bring a sweatshirt for layering.

The park hours allow you to plan a great dinner later in the evening, and you aren't missing park time.

This! In my youth, we always went in the summer when the MK (the only park at the time) was open until midnight and we loved spending the nights there. And Epcot, after it opened, was always open until 9:00. It wasn't until many years later that I first went in the "off season" when parks closed at 5:00 (AK), 7:00 (MK), or 8:00 (DHS). I thought I would hate it. But I found that the lower crowds allowed me to have "full days" in the parks even if we left at 4:00 or 5:00. And this freed up time to go back to the resort, shower, change into some nice clothes, and have terrific meals that were far beyond amusement park food. And, of course, there was Pleasure Island where we would hang out for hours. (RIP). I really, really loved it. So take advantage of the evenings and get out of the parks and do stuff. Signature dining. Bowling. Disney Springs. Cocktail Lounges. City Walk at Universal. It isn't until you start to do "non-park stuff" regularly that you fully appreciate what makes WDW a vacation destination instead of a collection of amusement parks.

Check accuweather a day or so before you leave. While accuweather's 10 day forecast isn't exactly what I would call accurate, it is generally pretty close on the general temperature range. Plan for a +/- 5 degree swing on the forecasted highs and lows, i.e if they say it will be 80 for a high and 65 for a low, prepare for it to be anywhere from 75 to 85 and 60 to 70.

My husband is a school teacher and so we have always gone to the parks during peak season, specifically the summer and 1 time during Easter.

This year we are doing something crazy and going in the off-season, 11/17-11/20. We will be attending MVMCP (yay!) and have never been to a hard ticket event!

I know the crowds won't be as big but have noticed that the park hours are significantly shorter than we are used to. I'm wondering if we will still be able to ride everything in most parks even with the shorter hours? You will be able to ride everything even with the shorter hours. Your touring plan may have to change a bit but use your FP! Keep in mind MK closes early on party days and no MSEP or regular wishes...Do you have another MK day planned? If so and it is a non-party day you should see it then BUT it will be busy and get a spot early...I will say this... I LOVE the fireworks for the party. Party advice: you will not be able to do everything the party offers... Rare character take a lot of party time waiting in line.. lines will be shorter for rides and the dance parties are fun.

What is the weather like? Will it be warm enough for us to swim? We are from Chicago and not sure what to expect. Should we still pack ponchos? Weather for our last 2 nov trips was great! high 80s during the day..cool 70s at night.. Light jacket and pants for this girl (I think last year they got a cold spell after we left). If your going to swim, during the day will be your best bet but the pools are heated so a night swim might be ok.

What else do we need to take into consideration when devising our touring plan that may differ from the peak-season/summer touring?!?
Plan your days ahead of time. Also you can get into the party at 4pm (if you are just using the ticket for that day) and you can get a lot of stuff done.., you can schedule fast passes from 4-7 but none after 7. Do not waste party time eating at a sit down. Eat before or snack during.. Caseys STAYS OPEN to like 1am if you need it!

The truth is, there is no way to predict the weather. That being said, being from Chicago I suspect you will find it to be much warmer than expected! We are from Milwaukee and were there the week after Thanksgiving last year. Everyone told us to bring layers. Well, we didn't use our sweatshirts or jackets once! We were in shorts and t-shirts the whole time, even at night. It stays pretty warm in the parks with all that concrete.

As just about everyone has said, weather can fluctuate. The things we found the most helpful on our November trip was bringing warm hats and gloves. They came in handy on cold mornings and nights (especially our MVMCP night), and they don't take up much room. I lost track of how many people offered to buy the hats off our heads (of course, they were cute Disney ones I found on Etsy, so that certainly played a part)!

The truth is, there is no way to predict the weather. That being said, being from Chicago I suspect you will find it to be much warmer than expected! We are from Milwaukee and were there the week after Thanksgiving last year. Everyone told us to bring layers. Well, we didn't use our sweatshirts or jackets once! We were in shorts and t-shirts the whole time, even at night. It stays pretty warm in the parks with all that concrete.

It really is luck of the draw for weather. We are from a very cold winter climate in Canada and the last few winters have been especially brutal temperature wise. That said, our first trip was in November and we still used our hoodies and long pants at night. However, our December trip was much warmer and we didn't need them until nearing the end of our trip.

Just one thing to keep an eye on, but not over worry about is that November is still considered hurricane season in Florida. The good thing is that hurricanes have advanced warning and the experts are predicting a very tame hurricane season for Florida this year.

The weather will be all over the place, as everyone has said! Most mornings will require long sleeves, sometimes more like a jacket, but by mid day you should be able to wear short sleeves. If you have gloves, bring them for the evenings when it does get cold - you don't want to be stood watching fireworks with freezing cold hands! If you're used to a colder climate, you'll probably be fine swimming on at least a couple of the days. When it is hot, it's not humid, so it's really very pleasant, nothing like summer weather at all. If it does rain, it won't be like a summer shower, it will be cold and wet, so ponchos are probably a good idea.

Check out all the Christmassy stuff! MVMCP, Osbourne Lights, Candlelight Processional, go see the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian, etc. November is great because it's not too busy, but you still get to see the Christmas stuff.

Yes, bring ponchos. Bring swimsuits and sweatshirts/hats/pants. It is so unpredictable! It got down to 40s at night last year the week before Thanksgiving and then we were swimming 3 days later.

It's a great time of year to visit the parks! Low crowds, colder weather beats that summer heat BIG TIME. I spent most of the MVMCP holding our spot on the parade route while DH and kids rode rides. So that stinks. Not sure how to get around it, though. It was packed!

We've been in November a few times. As others have said, the weather can be anywhere from the 40's to high 80's so you'll want to pack a bit of everything, including your swimsuits & ponchos. One year, it was in the high 80's at the beginning of our trip and the 50's at the end. You really won't know until right before you leave for your trip. Early mornings & evenings can be a bit chilly so bring a sweatshirt or lightweight windbreaker with you to the parks.

As for park hours, the hours are shorter but the crowds are lighter, so you'll get more done in less time.

The most important tip I can give you is to pack a variety of clothing options. We were there in November 2013 and, while it was hot and sunny for the most part, our long pants and sweatshirts did get worn. Mostly it was the mornings that were coolest, so if you're a RD kind of person, have those sweatshirts handy.

Not sure where goopysolelady is from but, as a fellow Northerner, I can assure PrincessSarah314 that she'll get some good chuckles out of what some people consider "cold". There were many days where we were in shorts and tank tops, surrounded by people in long pants/sweatshirts/jackets. :rotfl:

Bring ponchos, though we only got one day of rain, they were worth it. It's not like summer with the 15 minute downpour and blazing sun immediately afterwards, it was much more like a crappy rainy day back home. Still went on the rides, though!

For swimming, unless you get a really bad time, you'll be swimming. We spent a number of days at the waterparks and we were hardly alone. Some brilliantly hot days during our stay and, I hope, during yours as well.

Park hours will change as you get closer to your trip. We did water parks, not hoppers last time, so had to adjust once or twice to get to the park with the longest hours. In our final day, MK was open until 3AM (this was during Thanksgiving week). Parks were never packed, though there were some crowds from time-to-time. Didn't make any touring plan and never had any waits that stand out in my mind.

We're also going down in November this year as it was just so nice last time.

We're from South Central Texas and this is our forecast for next week :crazy::

...a sweet friend of mine on another thread even sent me a picture of some of her NH snowfall to make me feel cooler :lmao:! With that said, we'll be prepared for any type of weather. We actually do have more of a "winter" than Florida but nothing compared to those of you in Canada and the eastern US. I already have a light jacket packed :goodvibes. The "cold" doesn't bother me to much unless there's wind with it; 1 DD is "cold sensitive" but the rest of us will be fine with the various temps. DGD even ran a track meet last February in those "skimpy" track uniforms when the wind chill was below freezing. :rolleyes: This will be a girls only trip with DD's and DGD's, our first ever since DD's job didn't allow her to travel in November or December. She's now an "at home Mom" and we're anxious to take advantage of DW in November. :yay:
THANK YOU ALL for the great advice. Our first Christmas party; 1st time to see the Osborne lights and we're super excited to be staying at the WL and Villas, known for their beautiful decorations....and can't WAIT to see the GF Gingerbread House! :dogdance: I know the Christmas activities won't be in "full swing" so I do have 1 question...does anyone know if the campers at Ft. Wilderness will have their decorations up the week before Thanksgiving. Our trip dates are Nov. 19-26 and I'm really hoping to make a boat trip to the campgrounds to enjoy these decorations. (I'm a huge decorator for Christmas...our house is one of the favorites in our small town and I'm looking for more ideas. :goodvibes) Thanks again for all the tips and advice! :thumbsup2 :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter