Tea at the GF

zipuzee

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done tea at the GF? Not the kid's version, but the one for the grown-ups. I'm curious if it's any good.

Thanks!!

I loved it and so did the kids. They thought it was great having a proper tea with china. The tea is loose leaf in the pot and they put the little strainer across your cup. They have a great assortment of teas to choose from.

It's so good, I'm taking my sister there when we go in May. The scones are the best. Not dry like they usually are. The tea sandwiches are good, but I had to order seconds on the scones (with devonshire cream & preserves :thumbsup2 ). My kids loved picking their pastries from the tiered pastry tray.

The triffle was the best and we also had strawberries and cream.

I think it's a must. Especially if you enjoy afternoon tea.

We did it last vacation and it didn't really work for us.

We went at 2:00 on an EMH morning at M.K. By the time we got there we were hot, tired and ready for something really cold to drink, and "real" food. They were nice and brought us ice water when we asked, but they obviously weren't expecting to have to refill our glasses over and over when that was what we wanted at that point.

If I was having a "non-park" day I can see how this would be a fun choice, but after a morning in the park it wasn't the best choice.

You can make ADR's for this, but it's not on the dining plan.

Depending on time of year and day of week it may be necessary to have ADRs to get in or it may be a walk-up. There is limited seating and sometimes people do linger, sice it is supposed to be leisurely.

Here is a menu you can look at to see both the offereings and prices.

It really makes a great late lunch.

My Mom, DD and I have done this several times and we always enjoy it very much!! The teas are good (my favorite is the Garden Bouquet) and the food is delish! I second what another poster said about the scones, devonshire cream and preserves, they are terrific!!

Yes, we loved this! I went with my partner and my mother outlaw. I was afraid that I was going to feel like a bull in a china shop, but I was quite comfortable. The experience was unforgettable. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Maggie

my husband and I have turned afternoon tea into one our WDW traditions. We always go on our last day at the resort - it's very relaxing and as someone else already stated...it makes a great late lunch.

I love the chamomile tea! And I think I just spelled it wrong, too... :rotfl:

For an extra treat order the Cinderella slipper dessert from the Grand Floridian bakery a few days in advance...it's a divine way to top off your tea.

We loved it! We did it on our day off and I think that's the best way to go - not on a park day. My mom and I did it together but there were LOTS of men in there as well; next time DH might just join us.

We had an ADR, this was in October, but we really didn't need one. There were lots of tables available and they were taking walkups. Always better to be safe then sorry though.

oybolshoi said:
For an extra treat order the Cinderella slipper dessert from the Grand Floridian bakery a few days in advance...it's a divine way to top off your tea.

wow, i didn't know you could do this-- we are going in oct. and first time tea experience at GF. this would really make it special. thanks for the idea.

BTW--oybolshoi-- i am in the st. louis area too. (way too far from WDW though) :rolleyes:

It is fantastic. I do it EVERY year. Do not miss the scones. They are simple little things, but better than any scone I have had here in the U.S.

It is our new must-do! An earlier post said they needed more substancial food - tea can be very filling. And we also found it very relaxing after a morning in the park - a great get away. We ordered several a-la-carte items as well as afternoon tea - we were a party of 9, with 4 children in the group, who LOVED it. They were offered pots of chocolate and several ladies had iced tea - I loved the garden bouquet as someone mentioned, the scones and cream were great, we also got the cheese and fruit tray which was really wonderful - and the sandwiches were above average - by the time we had the dessert trays we were stuffed (but stuffed in even more :) ) and we topped it off because of 2 birthdays with cinderella slippers!! yummy!!!

If you can work it in - DO IT, you will not be disappointed. Very pampering experience for tired feet...

zipuzee said:
Okay - so what is this slipper thing?

It's a white chocolate slipper filled with vanilla creme mousse and topped off with fresh raspberries. The last time we had it they brought it out on a plate that had a chocolate etching of Cinderella's castle on it and there was also a chocolate heart shaped dessert with dark chocolate mousse.

I liked the slipper the best! :teeth:

I don't have a picture that I can share but I'm sure someone around the DIS has posted pictures of it in another thread.

oybolshoi said:

do you know how i can get in touch with the GF bakery--is it thru main dining ressie's? also how far in advance can you order the slipper?

p.s. notice above post--fellow st. louis'er' :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter