TDR Oct 2023 suggestions?

Happy99

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. We are planning our first visit to Japan. We have travelled to the Caribbean and Europe a few times but never to Asia.

Planning on three nights at Tokyo Disney Resort, four or five nights in Tokyo then off to Kyoto for four nights.
Travel dates mid October 2023.

I have read up on the parks, hotels, park tickets, etc.
We are planning on staying at one of the three deluxe hotels on property. Hoping to use DVC points but if that does not work we are ok with paying for the hotels since it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for us.

We will be four adults, me, my husband, my adult son and his girlfriend. My son is the Japan culture lover and my Disney loving child. This trip is all his planning and his graduate school graduation gift.

Questions:
Anything anyone can share about TDR that you wish you knew before you got there?
Must do's?
Restaurants: any which should not be missed? Whether in the parks, hotels or Ikspiari area.
Anything else anyone wants to share would be wonderful.
Ikspiari similar to Downtown Disney area?

Tokyo and Kyoto - will take any suggestions here as well.
Planning on staying either at the Tokyo Station Hotel or the HIlton Tokyo.
Kyoto - Hyatt Regency

Thank you

For a first visit to TDR, check which shows are have a Entry Request lottery. Pre-pandemic, some shows had either the first or last showing of the day be open to all guests without a lottery but I don't know if that'll be the case when you visit. Waiting standby for a show is possible if you lose the lottery but you probably won't want to use up your time doing that.

For must dos, probably Beauty and the Beast, Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Monsters Inc and pretty much everything at Disneysea except maybe Midway Mania, Turtle Talk and the Magic Lamp Theater Show (assuming you don't understand Japanese). All the major shows are must dos but if they're lottery for all showings on the day you visit, you may have to skip them.

For restaurants, I highly recommend Ristorante di Canaletto at Disneysea. October weather should be comfortable so I recommend a lunch where you can by the Venetian Gondolas. Sitting inside is good too but then you may not get the "I'm in Italy but this is only costing a fraction as much" feeling. A lot of people like Magellan's at Disneysea which is probably within your budget if you're considering the Tokyo Station Hotel. Cape Cod Cook Off has two short shows featuring Duffy and friends. While the food is just burgers you'll have to eat there if you want to see the shows.

If you want Japanese food at Disneyland, then visit Hokusai. I liked it a lot like 8 years ago but when I had my annual pass 4 years ago, I started preferring to have Japanese food outside of the park.

Ikspiari is a bit more like a traditional mall than Downtown Disney. Not something that you must spend a lot of time at.

I haven't stayed at the Tokyo Station Hotel but it's supposedly very nice in a traditional European luxury type of way. Definitely more interesting than the more cookie cutter Hilton and better located too with the caveat that it's easy to get lost in Tokyo station.

Questions:
Anything anyone can share about TDR that you wish you knew before you got there?
Must do's?
Restaurants: any which should not be missed? Whether in the parks, hotels or Ikspiari area.
Anything else anyone wants to share would be wonderful.
Ikspiari similar to Downtown Disney area?

Tokyo and Kyoto - will take any suggestions here as well.
Planning on staying either at the Tokyo Station Hotel or the HIlton Tokyo.
Kyoto - Hyatt Regency

Thank you

Tokyo Disney is not really big on food like WDW. We just usually eat wherever. Most restaurants in the park are quick service. If you're big on character dining, Chef Mickey in the Ambassador Hotel features the fab five. In Ikspiari, Ippudo Ramen is our go to restaurant although it's on the expensive side compared to ramen restaurants in Central Tokyo. It is their Downtown Disney / Disney Springs but it's set up like a multi story shopping mall.

The must do's in Tokyo Disneyland is obviously the new Beauty and The Beast Ride. Although I find it a bit overrated, it's worth riding it once. Also, Monsters Inc. Hide and Go Seek is unique to Tokyo and has long line. The best ride in Tokyo Disneyland, in my opinion, is Pooh's Hunny Hunt. Once you ride it, you'll never want to ride Many Advantures of Winnie the Pooh again. The difference is night and day.

In Tokyo DisneySea, the Tower of Terror has a different theming which is interesting but the ride is not as intense as the one in WDW. Their signature ride is Journey to the Center of the Earth which uses Test Track ride system. It has a great storyline and cool animatronics. They also have a unique submarine ride which is worth riding as the queue is usually not long.

Currently there is no fastpass and it's probably not coming back. They have a paid premier access similar to lightning lane for the most crowded attractions. Currently, it's available for Beauty and The Beast, Baymax and Splash Mountain in TDL, Soaring and Toy Story Mania in TDS. For Americans, it's probably not worth getting it for Splash Mountain, Soaring and Toy Story Mania as they're mostly the same.

In Tokyo Station, there's an area called Ramen Street where several Ramen restaurants are lined up. The longer the queue, the better the food but they're all generally pretty good. Must visits for first timers are: Sensoji temple in Asakusa, Akihabara, and Shibuya Crossing

In Kyoto, their matcha ice cream and matcha based desserts are very good due to its proximity to Uji, the country's number one matcha producer.

For Americans, it's probably not worth getting it for Splash Mountain, Soaring and Toy Story Mania as they're mostly the same.

In Tokyo Station, there's an area called Ramen Street where several Ramen restaurants are lined up. The longer the queue, the better the food but they're all generally pretty good. Must visits for first timers are: Sensoji temple in Asakusa, Akihabara, and Shibuya Crossing

In Kyoto, their matcha ice cream and matcha based desserts are very good due to its proximity to Uji, the country's number one matcha producer.
TDL - Monsters Inc, Baymax, Pooh's Hunny Hunt & Beauty/Beast are not to be missed.
TDS - Journey, Sinbad, Nautilus, Aquatopia are all unique - and Raging Spirits with the worlds slowest looping coaster.

I'd definitely do Soaring - the theming and pre-show are way beyond the two US versions of the ride and more coherent that Shanghai IMHO. The 'ending' of the Tokyo show is definately much improved - no spoilers.

With Splash being rethemed in the US, this is probably a good time to ride in Tokyo.

We love Tokyo Station - we usually stay at the Four Seasons Marunouchi post-Disney and just pop down there to eat, or over to the top floor of Daimaru. Character Street is a great place to spend money. Also head over to Sunshine City for the Pokemon Tokyo Mega Store (as well as a mini version of World of Color).

Kyoto - matcha! From there two day trips (Shinkansen) to 1. Osaka (Castle), 2. Hiroshima and Itsukushima/Miyajima for the torii of Itsukushima Shrine.

I disagree with a previous poster. We think the food at TDR is amazing and so adorable. We’ve been DVC owners at WDW for over 23 years and we have never found the food to even come close to Tokyo Disney. There is so much amazing food everywhere in Japan.

Just a warning, October is one of the busiest times of the year for TDR because of Halloween. If possible avoid the weekend or else it'll be hard to ride what you want. Enjoy all of the awesome costumes though!

Following as we are going just before you late Sept to early Oct. We will be doing TDR mid week days to avoid the crowds.

Following as we are going just before you late Sept to early Oct. We will be doing TDR mid week days to avoid the crowds.
Also visiting late September. We will be there Sun-Wed, hoping it's not too busy. Doing two days at each with possibility of a third visit to one of them as our flight doesn't leave until late on the Thursday.

We are planning two days in each park just to be safe. Hoping to stay at one of the Disney resorts but booked Hilton just in case. It looks like the Disney hotels book up very quickly and most have twin beds or triples.

We are planning two days in each park just to be safe. Hoping to stay at one of the Disney resorts but booked Hilton just in case. It looks like the Disney hotels book up very quickly and most have twin beds or triples.
I’ve done the exact same thing LOL
I’m hoping for the ambassador but booked Hilton in case I can’t get it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter