TCD's Pre-Halloween 2010 Weekend Warrior Trip Report

The Holloween Party is my favorite Disney Party! Love the pictures, they brought back some really good memories and made me want to go again!
Thank You Great TR

As always, love your report...I just have one question, not really for you as much as just putting it out there...but how do cat liver 5 and others stay for so long? I've read other reports where it's mentioned people stay for months. Does Disney offer a discount for those that stay longer or is it fairly cheap to camp there? When I grow up and retire I think I want to spend months at FW too! :)

Yeah, the "PI" on the survey wooden post means, Point of Inflection/Intersection. that was probably the "Line of Sight" used, and there probably is another wooden post within the site line going another direction. and those straight lines are called the traverse... the areas between each PI is what they are surveying. The wooden posts are usually the setup area. AND, this is old school. The most current technology uses satellites and backpack transmitters and such.

HTH or even makes sense, i just finished my morning coffee.

Heck yes, that helps! Not bad for having just finished your morning coffee. How about the CM on the stake, does that refer to Corner Monument, or something like that? Also, do you have any idea what the red, white and blue ribbons in the trees signify?

The Holloween Party is my favorite Disney Party! Love the pictures, they brought back some really good memories and made me want to go again!
Thank You Great TR

Yes, I love the MNSSHP. The last two times we have gone, we have gone very close to Halloween, like around October 29, and it has been very crowded. This time, I made a point to go early in the month, and we enjoyed it much more.

As always, love your report...I just have one question, not really for you as much as just putting it out there...but how do cat liver 5 and others stay for so long? I've read other reports where it's mentioned people stay for months. Does Disney offer a discount for those that stay longer or is it fairly cheap to camp there? When I grow up and retire I think I want to spend months at FW too! :)

They used to offer long term campers a discounted rate. But, the Fort has become a very popular destination, and they now longer offer those discounts. The long timers pay the going rate. Which surely adds up. These folks drop major $$ for the privilege of staying long term. It is not fairly cheap to camp at the Fort.

TCD

Continuing on . . .

It is still Saturday afternoon.

And we are looping.

There were two LSU fans camping at the Fort this past weekend.

Just two.

This one:

FWOctober2010314.jpg

TCD

Our neighbors for the past two nights. I didn't see them much though.

We received a tip that there was a good night-time Halloween display on the 400 loop.

We found it.

This fellow has created a synchronized light display to the song Thriller.

So, it lasts for what, 18 minutes?

It's pretty good.

I got the pleasure of visiting this guy's site Tuesday night. It was pretty cool, but I think hearing Thriller over and over for a month would make me a delirious.

It's worth a visit.

But, I am not sure how much this guy's neighbors are going to like this. I am predicting nightly traffic problems in the 400 loop for the rest of this month. In the future, please refer to this as the Cat Liver 5 display, so we will all know what you are talking about.

He had to turn it down this week due to your point above. Apparently the neighbors read your TR :)

I had noticed a lot of surveying type markers around.

And, these needed to be documented.

These were all around the wooded area between Pioneer Hall and the 100 loop (yes, you may have already seen some of these on another thread, but there are more here, along with some from another place, so pay attention):

Those made me sad indeed. Did you happen to notice all the little white flags along some of the fenced in areas by the Settlement area? I did not take pictures but there were several around.

TCD

I think I'm caught up now carry on sir.

Moving on with our report . . .

We are still snooping around the beach area East of the marina.

There is quite a bit of space here along the edge of the lake. Here we are looking back toward the marina:

FWOctober2010482.jpg

Do you know that you can see the Grand Floridian Resort from Fort Wilderness?

Well, you can.

And, do you know that you can see the Magic Kingdom monorail from Fort Wilderness?

Well, you can.

Look in the far background of these photos.

You can see the monorail track, and some of the spires from the GF:

FWOctober2010483.jpg

FWOctober2010484.jpg

Can you see them?

How about now?:

FWOctober20104841.jpg
(this is a zoom of the second photo, above-you can see the monorail on the track).

Here we are a bit closer to the marina:

FWOctober2010486.jpg

There's the resort launch, and Discovery Island and BLT in the background:

FWOctober2010487.jpg

I think the marina building looks perfect here:

FWOctober2010488.jpg

I love to see the boats come and go:

FWOctober2010489.jpg

Things like this make the Fort unbeatable.

One more marina shot:

FWOctober2010491.jpg

The Settlement Trading Post, as seen from the beach:

FWOctober2010492.jpg

Looking toward Pioneer Hall from the corner of the golf cart parking area on the beach:

FWOctober2010493.jpg

From here, we will travel back to the River Country area.

From everything that I hear, this is all going to be torn down in the next year.

I want to get as many photos of this area as I can.

Here we are just inside the old River Country entrance, looking toward what is left of the old Pop's Place restaurant. This is the area that you would first see when entering River Country back when it was in operation. There were always lots of people walking around here, having fun. It is always weird to see how it looks now:

FWOctober2010494.jpg

FWOctober2010495.jpg

Here are some photos of the Fort Wilderness pavilion. I haven't ever taken many photos of this pavilion, but since it is rumored to be on the way out, I will share some now:

FWOctober2010496.jpg

FWOctober2010498.jpg

FWOctober2010499.jpg

This is the old River Country fence:

FWOctober2010500.jpg

For those of you who don't remember, this pavilion was part of River Country, and was used as a dining area for the Pop's place restaurant, as well as those bringing their own food in to River Country. The currently popular Backyard BBQ did not begin until after River Country closed. It was a genius move on Disney's part to use this abandoned structure as a venue to extract cash from WDW guests. It must be quite profitable, as the word on the street is that they are going to invest in a new pavilion.

This pavilion is quite large:

FWOctober2010503.jpg

Here are a couple of props up on the stage:

FWOctober2010504.jpg

FWOctober2010507.jpg

Yes, that is a giant ear of corn with a bite take out of it.

No, I don't know why it is here.

I have never been to the Backyard BBQ. As I said, it is a relatively new offering. When they first started operating it, it was seasonal only, and on odd nights of the week. It never worked out for us to go. And now, my DD's aren't all that in to dancing with characters, so it wouldn't be worth the price for us to go.

From the stage:

FWOctober2010508.jpg

FWOctober2010509.jpg

This is where the River Country water tower used to be:

FWOctober2010510.jpg

FWOctober2010511.jpg

It's weird to think that this is all going to disappear in the next year.

For you survey marker fans, this stake was way out by the Settlement Bus Stop. You can see the old petting zoo area just past the stake:

FWOctober2010512.jpg

Next up, we visit the horse barn again.

I wanted to see if I could play the calliope.

TCD

Here we are over by the Blacksmith shop. There is a bus stop here that used to be the River Country bus stop. Looking across the road, we see the beginning of the path that heads over to Wilderness Lodge:

FWOctober2010515.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the bus stop, including the sign telling guests that the Haunted Carriage Rides will be departing from a different location in 2011:

FWOctober2010516.jpg

FWOctober2010517.jpg

Here we are at the calliope display in the barn. You see those speakers up there near the ceiling?:

FWOctober2010518.jpg

Well, if you push the button (during daylight hours only), you will hear a very poor tape recorded version of the calliope playing "When You Wish Upon A Star." Very poor. Sorry, Fort management, but you get an F- on this display. What a waste of space and money. Plus, this apparently is going to be torn down in the next year. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Speaking of Fort improvements, this garage door is new:

FWOctober2010519.jpg

Who says the Fort is neglected?

I will let you in on a little secret.

I love the old petting zoo area.

What memories I have of this place.

In fact, the petting zoo was the very first place I ever visited at the Fort. It was back in 1994. Mrs. TCD and I took our oldest DD on her second visit to WDW. She was our only child at the time. We stayed at the brand new Wilderness Lodge. One day, I rented a bike with a baby seat, and followed the path over to Fort Wilderness. We arrived at the petting zoo. My DD loved it. I loved it. I remember riding over to the 100 loop, to see what the campsites looked like. I was amazed. I had never seen such a nice campground. The rest, as they say, is history. After our twins were born in 1995, Fort Wilderness became our home away from home. And, I'm happy to say that my DD's practically grew up here. Until they were too big to ride, no trip to the Fort was complete without pony rides. And, we were on a first name basis with most of the petting zoo animals, until they moved on.

In case you ever wondered why my Dis-name is TCD, well, now you know.

And, now all of this is going to be ripped out!

Ah, progress!

But, they can't take my memories.

Here is what we will no longer get to see:

FWOctober2010520.jpg

FWOctober2010521.jpg

FWOctober2010522.jpg

FWOctober2010523.jpg

FWOctober2010524.jpg

FWOctober2010525.jpg

FWOctober2010529.jpg

FWOctober2010530.jpg

Not many people notice the old, vine-covered, tower that stands watch over this area. But I do:

FWOctober2010531.jpg

FWOctober2010533.jpg

FWOctober2010539.jpg

I wonder is Sean and Heather know that their tribute is about to be destroyed?:

FWOctober2010544.jpg

How old to you think these vines are?:

FWOctober2010546.jpg

This sign may look familiar to you. It is where the famous TCD avatar came from:

FWOctober2010552.jpg

It could use a little TLC:

FWOctober2010558.jpg

I know this big field is seldom used (I believe it is used for triathlons and Easter Egg Hunts), but I will hate to see it go:

FWOctober2010559.jpg

Here we are leaving the area:

FWOctober2010560.jpg

FWOctober2010564.jpg

The Settlement area is not my only favorite area of the Fort. I love the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post, and that's where we are now. I ate my first SSHD right at that table down there:

FWOctober2010565.jpg

They ought to put a commemorative plaque on it.

Here we are looking from the bridge toward the 600 loop. The 600 loop extension that you see on the lake bank is another dumb thing brought to us by Fort management:

FWOctober2010567.jpg

And that completes this post.

I hate to break this to you.

But, this TR is already almost done.

Like my trip, it is short.

But sweet.

TCD

Say it isn't so!!

Another stellar TR, TCD. Looking forward to the final installment.

I must say that last year was the first time we explored the petting zoo/pony area and barns. I loved it and now wish I'd spent more time.

I will definitely be doing more exploring/picture taking there next month.

By the time we come down in 2011, it's likely to be a very different place.

I love the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post, and that's where we are now. I ate my first SSHD right at that table down there:

FWOctober2010565.jpg
In your next post, are you going to show us stall #2 where that SSHD met its inglorious demise?

Seriously, great pics and great report TCD. I sure wish I owned an RV right now so I could make another trip to the Fort before the TCD Farm disappears. Like a lot of things in life, I took it for granted I guess. and I never imagined on our last trip that I may never see it again.

Say it isn't so!!

Another stellar TR, TCD. Looking forward to the final installment.

I must say that last year was the first time we explored the petting zoo/pony area and barns. I loved it and now wish I'd spent more time.

I will definitely be doing more exploring/picture taking there next month.

By the time we come down in 2011, it's likely to be a very different place.

Monique- All good things must come to an end. This trip report. And, the TCD Farm, too.

I think everything will still be in place when you arrive next month.

But, you're right, next year will be another story.

In your next post, are you going to show us stall #2 where that SSHD met its inglorious demise?

Seriously, great pics and great report TCD. I sure wish I owned an RV right now so I could make another trip to the Fort before the TCD Farm disappears. Like a lot of things in life, I took it for granted I guess. and I never imagined on our last trip that I may never see it again.

Dave- Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't get a photo of stall #2. Also, I was under the impression that stall #2 is reserved for VIP's, and not available for public use. But, you are correct about the inglorious part.

I hope you find your way back to the Fort soon. Don't worry about the changes. There have been lots of changes in the past few years, but the Fort is still the Fort.

TCD

This is it.

The last of the photos from TCD's Weekend Warrior adventure.

If you counted 310, then you are right.

Quantity, baby!

So here we are on the bridge behind the Meadow Trading Post.

A beautiful vista before us.

Except for all those RV's on the bank of the lake.

Sorry Fort management, but you get an F minus here too.

I mean, really, was this necessary?:

FWOctober2010568.jpg

Here we are over by the Bike Barn, looking at the Meadow Trading Post:

FWOctober2010571.jpg

And, here we are heading toward the Trading Post. I have always liked this little area of the Fort:

FWOctober2010573.jpg

Look at this.

Like a post card:

FWOctober2010575.jpg

Now we are looking across to the Bike Barn:

FWOctober2010580.jpg

And just enjoying the lake view:

FWOctober2010581.jpg

FWOctober2010582.jpg

FWOctober2010583.jpg

Meadow is spelled without an "s" here:

FWOctober2010586.jpg

But, with an "s" here:

FWOctober2010588.jpg

There used to be an apostrophe and "s" situation at the Fort. They would show up in the wrong places. Or, fail to show up in the right places. But, most of that has been corrected by now. But not on the back porch of the Meadow(s) Trading Post.

Inside the Trading Post, Mickey is ready for Fall:

FWOctober2010589.jpg

FWOctober2010592.jpg

In front of the Meadow(s) Trading Post, you can see the old FWRR car on display over in the 1000 loop:

FWOctober2010596.jpg

FWOctober2010597.jpg

FWOctober2010598.jpg

From time to time, folks ask about bike parking at the marina. Well, for those of you who would like to know, there is bike parking, and it looks like this:

FWOctober2010599.jpg

FWOctober2010600.jpg

FWOctober2010601.jpg

And that is it.

In between the photographs taken on Sunday morning, I packed up the camper, and we headed out.

Another trip report done.

Until next time.

TCD is out.

Thanks TCD! Another great report. I only wish your trip would have coincided with mine. So close. Maybe next time...

Wow, what a nostalgic tour down memory lane.

The last 2 installments gave me a lump in my throat.

Reading your posts about your DD's got me thinking......

FW is the ONLY WDW resort my boys have ever known.

What a beautiful, joyous place.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Kim

Thanks TCD! Another great report. I only wish your trip would have coincided with mine. So close. Maybe next time...

Lisa- It really was close. But, there will be a next time, right?

Wow, what a nostalgic tour down memory lane.

The last 2 installments gave me a lump in my throat.

Reading your posts about your DD's got me thinking......

FW is the ONLY WDW resort my boys have ever known.

What a beautiful, joyous place.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Kim

KFK- Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your sons are lucky that FW is the only WDW resort they know. While changes are on the horizon, you of all people know that the essence of the Fort will live on.

TCD

Great pictures if this is how you do a short trip I can only dream of what a long trip would be like.:worship::worship::worship:

Sir TCD, What a wonderful TR. I have been enjoying your TR Pics which are

great, but I am really enjoying reading the report itself. You have a way of

describing the way a lot of us feel about the fort. What also comes through

loud and clear is your love for your family and their love for you.

Thanks for sharing.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Great pictures if this is how you do a short trip I can only dream of what a long trip would be like.:worship::worship::worship:

You know, I'd like to see what a long trip would be like, too.

But, I'm pretty much just a weekend warrior.

Awesome as always!! Thanks!

Thank you.

Sir TCD, What a wonderful TR. I have been enjoying your TR Pics which are

great, but I am really enjoying reading the report itself. You have a way of

describing the way a lot of us feel about the fort. What also comes through

loud and clear is your love for your family and their love for you.

Thanks for sharing.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Thanks.

But, don't get all mushy on me.

And, you need bring your family to visit the Fort in October.

You will like it.

And they will like it.

TCD

TCD you need to get back to the Fort more often as they begin clearing for the new whatever it is that is coming to RC. I wonder if you made extra nice nice with somebody in charge (and offered a nice gratuity), you might talk them into giving you an old TCD sign. It would be a shame if it ends up in a trash heap somewhere like the RC employee recognition plaque!

FWOctober2010558.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter