Tasting Times

gregf71

Mouseketeer
Our booking window opened up today for our June eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy and I noticed something that I either never realized before or is new (to us). For the various beverage tastings each type seems to be offered at the same time each day. For example, on our cruise the Beer Tasting is offered each day at 11am only and the Mojito & Caipirinha Tasting is offered each day at 8pm only; all of the other types of tastings seem to be following the same rigid pattern (each day at a single designated time). Has it always been this way? We've cruised Disney several times in the past and enjoyed several tastings, but I don't recall the scheduling being like this...but maybe it was.

We were actually interested in the Mojito & Caipirinha Tasting, but with it only scheduled for 8pm each night, that conflicts with our second seating time for dinner. Sure, we could skip our rotational dinner one night for it, but if I am honest I don't want to do that. Just wish they offered varying times for all of the tastings and provide more flexibility for guest schedules.

None of the tastings were sold out yet. If an activity was sold out, then it was still listed there, but marked as Sold Out.

It seems strange that it would only be later in the evening since that's when all the lounges would start getting busy.

It seems strange that it would only be later in the evening since that's when all the lounges would start getting busy.
That's part of my point. From what I am seeing, activities are listed just once each day if they are being offered, but if they have multiple times available to choose from, then those times are offered in a drop down list together under that activity (I can see this for excursions and spa treatments, but not tastings). For each of the tastings during our cruise, they list only one time slot, the same time slot, each day of our cruise. And I believe that there was at least one other tasting experience, maybe two, that was always scheduled later than 8pm. Guess we will just go enjoy the lounges after dinner.

That's part of my point. From what I am seeing, activities are listed just once each day if they are being offered, but if they have multiple times available to choose from, then those times are offered in a drop down list together under that activity (I can see this for excursions and spa treatments, but not tastings).
Any earlier times is what I meant about possibly being sold out.

That's part of my point. From what I am seeing, activities are listed just once each day if they are being offered, but if they have multiple times available to choose from, then those times are offered in a drop down list together under that activity (I can see this for excursions and spa treatments, but not tastings). For each of the tastings during our cruise, they list only one time slot, the same time slot, each day of our cruise. And I believe that there was at least one other tasting experience, maybe two, that was always scheduled later than 8pm. Guess we will just go enjoy the lounges after dinner.
Possibly they only offer one time until it's filled and then offer another. I don't know for sure, however. It just seems if they put 5 tastings on the list there might not be full classes.

Any earlier times is what I meant about possibly being sold
Based on what I am seeing with other types of things, if it offers multiple time slots and one is sold out while others are still available, then those that are sold out are displayed but greyed out and not selectable.

Possibly they only offer one time until it's filled and then offer another. I don't know for sure, however. It just seems if they put 5 tastings on the list there might not be full classes.
Possibly, but that would be odd given that other types of things offer multiple times. Still, something to keep an eye on. Crossing my fingers.

I am on the Fantasy in April and Mojito is showing at 8 pm for me as well

From what we’ve seen our observation matches yours, locked in times. I’m used to bed early due to work schedule so had to force myself to stay up for the 10 pm bourbon tasting last cruise. Was worth it though!

From what we’ve seen our observation matches yours, locked in times. I’m used to bed early due to work schedule so had to force myself to stay up for the 10 pm bourbon tasting last cruise. Was worth it though!
That's insane! All the ones I've done have been before dinner, Martini, Beer, Wine, Liquor and Chocolate, Bourbon. Those were all since the restart on all 5 ships. Wonder why the sudden change?

It’s the same in late May. Tequila/Margarita is always at 4, mojito at 8 , beer at 11

We were actually interested in the Mojito & Caipirinha Tasting, but with it only scheduled for 8pm each night, that conflicts with our second seating time for dinner. Sure, we could skip our rotational dinner one night for it, but if I am honest I don't want to do that. Just wish they offered varying times for all of the tastings and provide more flexibility for guest schedules.

Their scheduling does make you scratch your head a bit. I have always believed they should offer tastings - particularly Mixology - late nights, after whatever has taken place in the main lounge (Match Your Mate, or whatever). I think it would sell out every night, except for maybe the last night. There are a lot people who wish there was something else to do after whatever is going on in the lounge ends, but the entire ship shuts down. Scheduling a Mixology and another tasting or two gives people who are not ready to retire for the night something to do and generates revenue for DCL. It's a win-win.

Last edited:
That's insane! All the ones I've done have been before dinner, Martini, Beer, Wine, Liquor and Chocolate, Bourbon. Those were all since the restart on all 5 ships. Wonder why the sudden change?
I can't speak for bourbon tasting but the whiskey tasting has always been late

I wonder if it’s related to the schedules of the bar tenders. Maybe specific Ibrahim do each, and it’s tied to their shifts. Also, it seems weird to occupy bar space at a premium time. That’s why I thought they did several during the day before dinner.

I wonder if it’s related to the schedules of the bar tenders. Maybe specific Ibrahim do each, and it’s tied to their shifts. Also, it seems weird to occupy bar space at a premium time. That’s why I thought they did several during the day before dinner.
There was a discussion last month where the Mojito was scheduled at 2pm, at least on the Magic.

All the Mojito tastings were at 8 o’clock on the Fantasy back over Halloween. So I just did it, but since I’m usually in bed by 9:30 or 10, it wasn’t ideal. I prefer the late afternoon tastings myself.

Their scheduling does make you scratch your head a bit. I have always believed they should offer tastings - particularly Mixology - late nights, after whatever has taken place in the main lounge (Match Your Mate, or whatever). I think it would sell out every night, except for maybe the last night. There are a lot people who wish there was something else to do after whatever is going on in the lounge ends, but the entire ship shuts down. Scheduling a Mixology and another tasting or two gives people who are not ready to retire for the night something to do and generates revenue for DCL. It's a win-win.
Given they've practically doubled the price over the past couple years, I don't think they were having trouble with them selling out already. It is inconvenient to block it to overlap a standard dining time. Hopefully they get enough feedback to go back to the varying times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter