Tarnished pressed pennies from 12/06-1/07 already!

LauraAnn630

See you in April 2011!
Ok, What is the date of pennies you should use? I asked this before and did it but my pennies look terrible.

I used ketchup and penny bright. One I did in Niagra Falls 3 years ago looks great even before the penny bright. Some of the ones I did this last Christmas and New Years look black. That was just 5 months ago.

I think Ill do more quarter ones this time.

I used a rust and lime liquid remover and soaked the pennies in it for a half hour,stirring occasionally and then rinsed them. I layed them flat on towel to dry and then I used a big eraser on each side of the pennies to shine them up. They were beautiful and still are 8 months later.

Were they black when you started?

Did all the black come off? Mine have clean areas. Around the pictures and words are still black.

Can anyone tell me if I use this year's pennies that are bright and shiny, will they be ok or will they turn black? Thought I read somewhere that the newer and shiney the pennies were, the longer they would last?:confused3

Glad to see more penny pressers!
:wave2:

A little off topic but a great tip I just learned...turn the front of your penny that's going to be pressed so that the face is facing right and you'll get a better press. That way the front will have the image; if it's the other way, sometimes the press isn't as good.

Same for quarters, and the quarter to be pressed is usually the one on the far left side.

:)

disgram - New, shiny pennies will tarnish. They're just a copper jacket over zinc. When you smash the coin, the zinc shows through - you can see the silvery streaks many times - and that's what will tarnish to black. Pre-1982 pennies are solid copper and will not tarnish in the same way. They will dull, but not to black. Shining them up will help while newer pennies will just go back to black again......

EnjoY!

disgram - New, shiny pennies will tarnish. They're just a copper jacket over zinc. When you smash the coin, the zinc shows through - you can see the silvery streaks many times - and that's what will tarnish to black. Pre-1982 pennies are solid copper and will not tarnish in the same way. They will dull, but not to black. Shining them up will help while newer pennies will just go back to black again......

EnjoY!

This is SUCH good information to know because I had NO CLUE about the newer pennies. I'll dig through dd's piggy bank and see what years she has. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter