• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tapstile + Finger Scan

Several members of my family had issues with the finger scans all week. Disney was less problematic than Universal but we still got held up. We were not the only ones! We didn't have magic bands but the cards always scanned fine - it was just the darn prints. My husband works in this type of technology and is surprised they choose to use fingerprints because they are known to be so problematic; the technology is not fully refined at this point. Two of my kids ended up having to get their photos taken because one day their print would scan and another day it would not.

There is no such object at Disney Parks & Resorts as a "tapstile"!
So, what are they called then? It's not a turnstile. And people seem to know what we're talking about when we call them "tapstiles."
Several members of my family had issues with the finger scans all week. Disney was less problematic than Universal but we still got held up. We were not the only ones! We didn't have magic bands but the cards always scanned fine - it was just the darn prints. My husband works in this type of technology and is surprised they choose to use fingerprints because they are known to be so problematic; the technology is not fully refined at this point. Two of my kids ended up having to get their photos taken because one day their print would scan and another day it would not.
It's not actually a fingerprint scan; just a "finger" scan. It's measuring the size of your finger, not scanning the print. My understanding is that Universal uses actual fingerprint scanners.

So, what are they called then? It's not a turnstile. And people seem to know what we're talking about when we call them "tapstiles."

It's not actually a fingerprint scan; just a "finger" scan. It's measuring the size of your finger, not scanning the print. My understanding is that Universal uses actual fingerprint scanners.

gotcha - that would explain why Universal's were even more problematic then! We heard a lot of CMs and TMs yelling "warm up your hands!" Have no idea if that actually helped but I know that many people were having trouble at both sets of parks.

I did a bit of research on this. It appears the old machines measured your finger. It also appears the current scanners look at a number of print points and convert it into a code. So, while the system does not store fingerprints, the machine looks at print points and compares them to the stored code.

MG

They are, and have always been, "Touch-Points". You don't "tap" your ticket media, you "touch" it to the reader (in this case - the outline of Mickey).

Most biometric scan issues are wet or moist (lotion also) finger, rolling the finger on the edges or not pushing the finger all the way up to the metal while on the platen.

Last edited:
They are, and have always been, "Touch-Points". You don't "tap" your ticket media, you "touch" it to the reader (in this case - the outline of Mickey).
Are the readers at ride entrances and point-of-sale also called "touch-points?" Is there any name to differentiate the "gate" entrance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter