Tanzanian Wildlife Safari Wildlife Viewing List (what we saw critter wise)

Scott H

<font color=red>First to Magically cross from King
Below is a list of the critters we observed during the Thomson Wildlife Safari exchange. Will type up more on lodging etc later. Hopefully I will get that done over the weekend, maybe. Some of the names listed are in Swahalli, as well as there may be some spelling errors. Enjoy

28/01/03 - Arrive at JRO to warm windy conditions. I remember the smell of wood burning in Africa. Lodging at Saronera Mt. Lodge amid the coffee trees. Happy Birthday Janice.

29/01/03 - Breakfast under an expansive tent where we saw egret and a Silvery Cheeked Hornbill. Travel to Ngirse Village to visit a farm and learn of their lifestyle. We will never forget the school visit and the village healer. We had our first taste of Africa with a lunch of Ugali, beef and other vegetables followed by coffee and tea.
I feel I experienced the true spirit of man and realized we in our culture live with too much and should be content with less.

30/01/03 - Mt Maru area to Tarangire. Whilst en route we observed camel, zebra, and small herds of brama cattle and goats tended to by the Masai . We saw our first Boma. Open plains with the occasional acacia tree and termite mound. We saw European and Abdims Stork and ostrich. From the acacia trees hung the weaver nests. After entering Tarangire we spotted our first elephant. A flurry of activity as we were deafened by the volley of camera shutters. After settling in at the lodge we further explored Tarangire. Here we observed the following. Lots of tembo, Twiga, Impala, vervet monkeys, helmeted guineafowl, yellow necked Spurfowl, red necked Spurfowl, Ashy Starling, Yellow Billed Ox Picker, grey hornbill, baboon, white crowned shrike, Go way bird, Magpie shrike, grey headed king fisher, yellow headed love birds, blacked faced sand grouse. Pied king fisher, three banded plover, black plover, martial eagle, red billed hornbill, Dik Dik, white head vulture, lilac breasted roller and the orange billed parrot.

31/01/03 - Tarangire - This full day at Tarangire we observed ground hornbills, white headed weaver, lots o Tembo, Dik Dik, hammerkop, bateleur eagle, Yellow colored love birds, White breasted kukau, Saddle billed Stork, Grants Gazelle, Shrike, Mbuni (ostrich), warthog, Ruppell's Griffon Vulture, Tawny Eagle, baboons, Impala, water buck, ½ of a buffalo, lion, Egyptian goose, and Banded Mongoose .

01/02/03 - Tarangire to Ngorongoro Crater - Our intrepid travelers bid a fond adue' to paved roads. Before leaving Tarangire there are elephants hanging out to have coffee with us at 0600. This day we observe Mountague Harrier, Marabou Stork, Augur Buzzard, a couple of Flamingos, Tommies, warthogs, Grants Gazelle, Buffalo, Mbuni, zebra, Crested Cranes, Sacred Ibis, Cox ?????, Golden Jackal, Black Rhino too KEWL, Eland, Grey Heron, Yellow Billed Stork, Red Billed Duck, Sacred Ibis, Black Headed Vulture, Hippo, Spur Winged Goose, lion, Timbo, Black Billed Bustard, Egyptian Goose, Glossy Ibis, Cattle Egret, white pelican, African Spoonbill, Saddlebill Stork and Fish Eagle.

02/02/03 - A Day in the Ngorongoro Crater - Descending from the height of the crater Rim we explored the crater floor and discovered these animals. Black Winged Stilt, Hoten Tot Teal, little egret, Augur Buzzard, White billed Bustard, Spotted hyena, Blacked back Jackal, Crested Cranes, Stripped Swallow, Cheetah, yellow billed kite, African Hoopoe, a couple of Flamingos, Mountague Harrier, Marabou Stork, Augur Buzzard, Tommies, warthogs, Grants Gazelle, Buffalo, Mbuni, zebra, Sacred Ibis, Cox ?????, Golden Jackal, Black Rhino again too KEWL, Eland, Grey Heron, Yellow Billed Stork, Red Billed Duck, Sacred Ibis, Black Headed Vulture, Hippo, Spur Winged Goose, lion, Timbo, Black Billed Bustard, Egyptian Goose, Glossy Ibis, Cattle Egret, white pelican, African Spoonbill, Saddlebill Stork and Fish Eagle.

03/02/03 - Travel from the Nogorongoro Crater Rim to the Naabi Hill Camp site in the Serengeti. A short visit at a Masi boma to see the one stripped zebra. A stop at Olduvai Gorge. The days observations were as follows: Sten Buck, Secretary Bird, Augur Buzzard, Bat eared Fox, Booted Eagle, Pale Chanting Goshawk, Grants Gazelle, Golden jackal, Twiga, Tommie, Abdims Stork, European Stork, Zebra, Mbuni, Hartebeest, a few Wildebeest just a couple, Lion, Red Billed Buffalo Weaver, agama, Nubian Vulture, Marabou Stork, White Headed Eagle, little egrets, African Hare, spotted hyena, Twiga, golden jackal, warthog, and Kori Bustard.

04/02/03 - After a most restful nigh in our snug Classic Camp Cots where we were lulled to LaLa Salama by the sounds of Hyena and Lion, we arose to a glorious sunrise with the anticipation of a wonderful day. The day would not disappoint. Lion, zebra, European Stork, Abdims Stork, Kori Bustard, Again just a few Wildebeests, Golden Jackal, Tommies, Grants Gazelle, agama, Leopard face Vulture, Nubian Vulture, Marabou Stork, Spotted Hyena, Mbuni, Warthog, Black Shouldered Kites, Helmeted Guineafowl, Dik Dik, Tembo, Red throated Spurfowl, Crested Cranes, Serval Cat, Fischers Love Birds, Flamingos, Egyptian Geese, Sandpiper, Little Stilt, Impala, Vervet Monkeys, Baboons, Twiga, Leopard, Cheetah, Giant Mongoose, Nubian Vulture,

05/02/03 - After the most beautiful sunset we slept well and arose to another day of viewing the wonders of the Serengeti. Observed were Lion, Wildebeest, zebra, Nubian vulture, European Stork, Abdims Stork, Secretary Bird, Kori Bustard, Rufus Tail Weaver, Helmeted Guineafowl, Harrier Hawk, Mbuni, Topi, Spotted Hyena, Gray Heron, Kestrels, Twiga, Hartebeest, Grants Gazelle, Tembo, Fisher Sparrow-Lark, Pintail Whydah, Tommies, Red Throat Spurfowl, Marabou Stork, Crested Cranes, Olive Baboons, Vervet Monkeys, Defassa Water Buck, Leopard and cub, Impala, Topi, Buffalo, Banded Mongoose, Ox pecker, White Headed Buffalo Weaver, Green Wood Hoopoe, White Headed Vulture, African Hare, Tawny Eagle, Fischer Love Birds, agama, Rhino (only 4 in the Serengeti, guarded 24/7), Hottentot Teal, and Spar Winged Goose.

06/02/03 - Today we bid a fond farewell to our camp staff and explore the Serengeti knowing the Geri will have a long hot shower this evening. En route this day we observe the following. European Stork, Abdims Stork, Nubian Vulture, Kestrels, Hildebrandt's Starling, Harrier Hawk, Mbuni, Tommie, Black Shouldered Kite, Warthog, Wild Helmeted Guineafowl, Wildebeest, Zebra, Lion, Ant Eater Chat, Termite Mound, Tembo, Twiga, White Bellied Bustard, Agama, Hartebeest, Grant's Gazelle, Crested Cranes, Topi, Impala, spotted hyena, Buffalo, Hippo, Secretary Bird, Kori Bustard, Bush Hyrax, Baboons, Little Weaver, Grey Headed Sociable Weaver, Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu, Quail Finch, Hippo, Fish Eagle, Darnauds Varvet, Croc, African Pie Wartel, Night Heron, and Paradise Whydah.

07/02/03 - Pre-dawn we awake to prepare for our Balloon Safari over the Serengeti. We drive in darkness to see the balloon partially inflated and the basket lying on its side. We take out stations and with the expansion of the warm air we are lifted above the Serengeti Plains. From our eagle like perch we see the following. Bat eared Fox, Spotted hyena, Reed buck, baboon, Helmeted Guineafowl, waterbuck, hippo, buffalo, zebra, Grants Gazelle, Hartebeest, White Egret, Twiga, Wildebeest, Nubian Vulture, Baboon, Lion, Black Backed Jackal, Cheetah, Black-Tipped Mongoose, Topi, Bushbuck, Buffalo, Marabou Stork, Impala, Tommies, and Flamingoes.

Wow. That brings back memories of my trip to Africa a couple summers ago. I spend all my time in Zambia. I was there working at a bush hospital and the experience was amazing. We were out in the middle of nowhere and away from any tourist type stuff.

We did spend a few days down in Victoria Falls though. If any of you ever get a chance to go to Africa do it. Don't wait. I am looking forward to returning in a year or two to spend a month there.

Sounds like a wonderful adventure. I'm sure it's something my family would love to experience. Thanks for sharing.

What an incredible trip! I look forward to reading more regarding lodging, food etc. Thanks for posting the details of your sitings! Africa is on our list to experience one day.

Scott, sounds great. I hope to do this trip some day. I will be looking forward to your next report. Do you have any pictures to share?

Lots of pictures and that is another major task in editing, We will get to it. Then I will have to figure how to down load to this site, maybe just a couple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter