Tampa to WDW

Mary.Poppins

Mouseketeer
We have to fly into Tampa. It's the only way we can use our frequent flyer
miles. How is the drive from Tampa to WDW?

We did the same thing a few years ago... I think it was a little over an hour to Disney.

We did get stuck in bad evening rush hour traffic on the way back to Tampa so plan accordingly.

It's prolly closer to 90 minutes if you drive closer to the speedlimit ;) I don't, so I can get to Disney in about an hour from the I-4/I-75 interchange. Rush hour doesn't suck as bad as it used to since they've added more lanes to I-4 in Tampa. It does still suck around the I-4/I-75 interchange tho :) If you can hit that after 6:30, you're golden all the way to Disney.

Be sure to check out the transmission line/power wires shaped into a Mickey Head just before you get to WDW on I-4 - it is really cool. Definitely try to avoid driving on I-4 in Tampa during rush hour. My DH does a lot of work in Tampa.

We did this year during Spring Break. Flying into Tampa was so much cheaper than MCO since we booked last minute. It was about 75 minutes and we did not hit any traffic which was around 11:00 in the morning. It was not bad at all. My husband refused to drive back to Tampa during rush hour though. Good Luck!

We live in Tampa (not far from the airport) and it takes us exactly one hour. From the sirport it probaboy takes 10 minutes more, as long as you don't drive like a snail. Its a straight shot in I-4, an easy drive.

We do it frequently because my mom lives near Tampa and we always make sure that we go visit her when we go to WDW. In fact, in October the rates were so much cheaper that we decided to fly both in and out of Tampa. And the times were actually better as well, even including the drive. I hate driving and the trip doesn't bother me at all.

You can take the exit for the 429 northeast of the Route 27 exit and west of the WDW exits from I-4 and cut out a lot of congestion for a dollar or two in tolls. Get off onto the Western Way exit and it will dump yuo right at CSR. IMHO it's worth it for the much more relaxing ride.

Anne

Our last 3 visits to WDW have been via flying into TPA. It takes us about 1hr15mins to go from TPA to WDW. It is really not that much longer than MCO-WDW.
We like the TPA airport a lot.
-DC

I drive to Tampa from WDW a lot and we'll be doing it again for our upcoming trip. It takes about an hour, sometimes less when we don't hit traffic and travel above the speed limit.

Also, like someone above said, check out the mickey shaped power lines on I-4, they're super cute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter