Tampa Bay Rays?

Humm, I didn't even know they dropped the Devil part....and my cousin (Dan Wheeler) plays for them.....guess I better start paying better attention to detail.

I just realized that the other day too. I guess the short version fits on the jerseys better. :confused3

Humm, I didn't even know they dropped the Devil part....and my cousin (Dan Wheeler) plays for them.....guess I better start paying better attention to detail.

Your cousin is on the mound right now.
ETA ,He's from my hometown?

I like their colors better now though. The navy blue with the star in the middle of the R is cool.

That's my DD's school...How cool!

He went back to Pilgrim either last year or the year before and they had a school assembly...if your DD was there then she might remember it. We're Sox fans even when they play the Rays but DH was sitting here rooting for Pedroia to get a hit off Dan....that's just wrong :rotfl2: If my grandmother ever heard that :rotfl:

Yeah, it was PCism that had them drop the "Devil" part of the name. Good grief. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: At any rate, now the Rays refers to the rays of the sun.

As for them stinking.... Rays 5, Sox 4. :sad2: Tampa Bay isn't a bad team this year, they may even be a dark horse.

The Rays dropped the word "devil" and changed their uniform in an effort to usher in a 'new era' ... Personally I liked Devil Rays and the former colors BUT the product on the field this year certainly DOES NOT STINK. They pissed off the Yanks this spring, they're 12-11 (4 game streak) and two games out of first and they beat the Sox last night 5-4. They are very exciting this year.

The nickname is now a double entandre. It refers to a stingRay AND a Ray of sunlight.

GO RAYS!!!
pirate:

My DS, the sports and Disney nut, looks at the site updates. When he saw that I used "Devil Rays" he called to tell me about it. Heaven forbid Mom make a sports faux pas. ;) :lmao:

My DS, the sports and Disney nut, looks at the site updates. When he saw that I used "Devil Rays" he called to tell me about it. Heaven forbid Mom make a sports faux pas. ;) :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You know, the Rays want to build a new stadium to the tune of God only knows how much money. They can't fill the one they have now! :sad2:

What I love to see them do is give Central Florida a sports team. There is tons of land in this area near I-4. I wish they'd move the team here and call them the Lakeland Rays. :teeth: They'd pull people in from the Orlando area and the Gulf side too.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You know, the Rays want to build a new stadium to the tune of God only knows how much money. They can't fill the one they have now! :sad2:

What I love to see them do is give Central Florida a sports team. There is tons of land in this area near I-4. I wish they'd move the team here and call them the Lakeland Rays. :teeth: They'd pull people in from the Orlando area and the Gulf side too.

No way Virgo...People from Tampa haven't even been willing to cross the causeway to go to the game. Disney wasn't even full for the three games they played and that's just 10,000...I-4 is already a nightmare almost all of the time, adding a stadium in any part of it's access is really asking for it.

The Rays are fine where they are and while I agree that a new stadium is never the answer a good team is and this team is on their way to being a good team and they certainly will be exciting and you will see attandance increase steadily, IMO.

Personally I like the Trop. The games are inexpensive, it's air conditioned and the feeling is quaint and homey but the plans that go along with the new stadium, if approved and successful in transformation from blueprints to reality would be aufully cool for DT St. Pete. The stadium is spectacular looking but personally I balk at playing outdoors in Florida. Oh, and I'm AGAINST taxpayers paying for stadiums anywhere.

pirate:

The stadium is spectacular looking but personally I balk at playing outdoors in Florida. Oh, and I'm AGAINST taxpayers paying for stadiums anywhere.

pirate:

ITA! What on earth are they thinking with an outdoor venue. Yeah, let's go to a game when it's 95 degrees and the dew point is 75. Umm, NO!

I know they'll never build near Lakeland. It's just something I'd like seeing how I'll never drive to Tampa/St Pete to go see a game. The first year we lived here one of the travel agencies was selling a trip to the games. You got the bus fare, seats at the game and some food and I think the cost was about $25. That was in 2005 and I haven't seen it offered since. :(

They still stink - no matter what they call themselves. :laughing:
They are ahead of the Yankees.

I'm one of many Sox fans on the Rays' mailing list. It's cheaper and easier to fly to Tampa than going to Fenway. As with Camden Yards, the Trop is essentially a home stadium. You can tell the Rays' front office knows this - most of the letters I get talk about seeing the Sox (or Yankees).

The D-Rays were badly (badly!) managed in the Chuck LaMar era, but things have really turned around since Stu Sternberg took over. They've done everything right the past couple years - both in terms of building a baseball team, and in being one of the fan-friendliest places to see a game. Really a shame that the local community hasn't repaid the favor and embraced the team.

What, too good to be Devil Rays anymore?

To me, they will always be the Devil Rays. Now they are some cheesy Ray of sunshine thing. :confused3 Yeah, that's really something that will strike fear into our opponents... sun burn and potentially skin cancer with prolonged exposure. As a citizen of the city where they play, I am very against a new stadium. Sorry, you have to be bring in money to justify using my tax dollars for sports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter