Tall shoes

suzy021372

Mouseketeer
Okay, okay, I know that height requirements are there for a reason, but I really feel like my 3 1/2 yo can handle rides like Soarin' and the Jumping Jellyfish at DCA, considering he has been riding the Matterhorn since his 2nd brithday. So, when we were at DLR last week his curls could touch the 40" bar, but he was not quite tall enough. We have 60 days til our first trip to WDW.

So, has anyone found "tall shoes". What do you suggest, and where did you find them?:confused3

And yes, I know I am putting my kid in danger...

My daughter is 4.5 and she most definately would be fine with the rides.... but she can't because she is short. It has nothing to do with age. We did, just last week, go with taller shoes. Before we even got to the bar we were told by a CM that she would have to take them off to measure. She wasn't close even with them on. (I knew it ... it was more to explain to her that she wasn't tall enough... otherwise we wouldn't have even bothered going over to the measuring section.)

I honestly think your best bet is to pray that he grows. They will smoosh down his hair too and if they can fit even a piece of paper in he won't make it. They are very strict. We saw this happen before us. Lots of tears, lots of drama, and the CM stuck to his guns (rightfully so). So if this is going to be an issue for your DS than I'd not try to by pass it... cause it could cause you more trouble in the long run.

60 days is a while though... so he might make it without having to worry!

The height restrictions are there to protect you child. Why on earth would you want to try to go around the safety rules. Is it disappointing for your child yes, but it's better to be disappointed than hurt

Disney's rules about height & rides do not have anything to do with maturity. They cannot guess which age a child can handle a certain ride or not. Heck, even at 11 years my daughter could not handle some basic "kids" rides.

pray for growth and do not risk it otherwise, they will make you take off shoes if they feel he isn't quite there and they have a right to do so. Even if you know your child can handle the ride as far as motion/content, it is way more than that,, safety belts, harness' etc are designed for a body type that matches the desired height. I am sure if I was an engineer I could prob say that better.
I was a smidge disapointed that DD wasn't tall enough according the CM for space mountain but in hind site, she is very petite,, she wouldn't have fared well on that ride with their harnessing and her size even at the 44". AT the end of the day I was very thankful they had the requirements they did.

Thanks for the posts! My son will be just 5 when we go in August and is well past the 40" mark so we were thrilled to see he is good for most of the rides we were looking forward to (Soarin, Splash etc).

WITH his shoes on, my husband measured him and he's JUST barely at 44". This got us exited that he might be able to go on some of the bigger rides, too! I didn't realize that if it's close, they might make him take off his shoes. I'll prepare him for that. So thanks! :thumbsup2

Oh, the only reason I'm not too concerned for his safety is that I'm sure that the rides with a 44" requirement are not designed so that someone who is 43.5" could get hurt on it! They just have to "draw the line somewhere!" :)

We'll just wait and see! He could easily grow another inch in 3 months!! But if he can't go on Space Mountain, etc. it would probably be for the best! If he can, we'll let him decide what he's ready for.

WITH his shoes on, my husband measured him and he's JUST barely at 44". This got us exited that he might be able to go on some of the bigger rides, too! I didn't realize that if it's close, they might make him take off his shoes. I'll prepare him for that. So thanks! :thumbsup2

Our experience/observation has been that they only tend to make kids take off their shoes when said shoes are "tall" or heeled or look like the parent is trying to endanger their kid by getting past a height requirement. If your kid is wearing normal sneakers they are unlikely to be asked to take them off.

What worked for us was to measure DS before the trip and then tell him he was tall enough for the rides one measurement DOWN. (ie: kid is 44.5", tell him he can ride the 42" rides.) Then, when we were there we could play, "lets see how close you are to the next level up" and he could have a pleasant surprise when there were suddenly more rides he could do. It avoided any disappointment or drama.

Okay, okay, I know that height requirements are there for a reason, but I really feel like my 3 1/2 yo can handle rides like Soarin' and the Jumping Jellyfish at DCA, considering he has been riding the Matterhorn since his 2nd brithday. So, when we were at DLR last week his curls could touch the 40" bar, but he was not quite tall enough. We have 60 days til our first trip to WDW.

So, has anyone found "tall shoes". What do you suggest, and where did you find them?:confused3

And yes, I know I am putting my kid in danger...

As an FYI, it is against Disboard rules to post anything that advocates or helps someone to get around a Disney rule.

As other posters have pointed out, the Cast Members can demand that your child remove their shoes before they are measured, if they look like they are worn for the purpose of adding height.

I've never had a cast member ask my child to take his shoes off to be measured.

At the same time, I always make sure that my kids have shoes with thick soles on, instead of a thin-soled pair of shoes. (Their Nike sandals are cute, but the sole is very thin.)

Sketchers are pretty thick soled tennis shoes, but that is as far as we've gone. Teva sandals might work.

As an FYI, it is against Disboard rules to post anything that advocates or helps someone to get around a Disney rule.

Wow...tall shoes seems pretty minor compared to all of the discussions about refillable mugs.

Sorry I offended.:littleangel:

Oh, the only reason I'm not too concerned for his safety is that I'm sure that the rides with a 44" requirement are not designed so that someone who is 43.5" could get hurt on it! They just have to "draw the line somewhere!" :)

Agreed. Like I said, the Matterhorn is pretty rough, and he has been going on that for 1 1/2 years. I am actually the most worried about BTMR because my fat belly will prohibit the lap bar from even getting close to his lap. I am not looking to harm my child...

I've never had a cast member ask my child to take his shoes off to be measured.

At the same time, I always make sure that my kids have shoes with thick soles on, instead of a thin-soled pair of shoes. (Their Nike sandals are cute, but the sole is very thin.)

Sketchers are pretty thick soled tennis shoes, but that is as far as we've gone. Teva sandals might work.

Thanks for the ideas.

Try riding first thing in the morning. Everyone is apparently taller in the moring.

Be prepared that even if he makes it passed the first measurement, he may not pass the second.

Wow...tall shoes seems pretty minor compared to all of the discussions about refillable mugs.

Sorry I offended.:littleangel:

Oh, not at all! I just saw that you are a fairly new poster, and maybe were not aware of that rule. Asking how the best way to go about getting your child to hit the correct height is fine, asking for ways to suppliment that height is not. Tiny little technical difference there.;) You also may not be aware of it, but the subject of height restrictions comes up a lot, and the discussion can get pretty heated.

Hopefully it won't matter, and your little one won't be quite so little, and can ride whatever their heart desires.:) Just keep stuffing them full of veggies, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter