Talking by Region

Pretty true, except caramel is "car-ml", i.e. two syllables, I've never heard of a catty corner and don't use the term kitty corner in that context either, and a brew thru? :rotfl2: Don't have those! (And it's probably a good thing!)

I agree about my region as well. I experienced my first brew thru a few years ago in the Outer Banks...pretty awesome! Interestingly I live a few miles from where the research was done.

Hmmm... Missing a few local terms :rotfl2:

Basically no one calls it a soft drink: They forgot "tonic"
...but it’s a sub pretty much everywhere else: What ? No "grinder" ?
Don’t expect to find many yard sales in the Midwest: Or "tag sales"

Funny! NY Times had this quiz: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?smid=fb-share I just took it and even though I haven't lived there in 23 years, it picked "Denver", which is where I was born and spent the first 7 years of my life. I've lived all over the country! I thought that was crazy!

I took this same quiz and it was wayyyy off, but it chose the city I was born in and lived in for the first fen years of my life. But the terms from there (Milwaukee) to where I live now in NM are quite different. That's what's so strange!

Hey, that NY Times quiz was pretty cool. It picked the right city for me!

Anyway, I hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another crazy marry/merry/Mary debate. :stir:

pretty much right on for me. But it misspelled po'boy and said it was from Baton Rouge.... Loy's of regional isms down here though.

Things like that are never right for me. I think it's because there are a lot of people IN Florida that aren't FROM Florida, so the region adapts a lot of things from other places. (Unless it is a place like Miami where there are very strong cultural ties.)

Funny!

Moving from Florida and being southern it was quite interesting for the first two years we lived here in NE. Not only are some of the accents interesting but the words they use confused me for a while.

Elastic = rubber band or hair tie
bubbler = water fountain or water cooler

Im sure Ill think of more.

The word we use for hoagie is po boy.
Dinner is our evening meal. Supper is a benefit of some type.
A highway from the article is called the Interstate in our area. We call local roads highways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter