Talking about budget buster! Gasoline...

Oops, you are right. You mentioned the environment and I jumped to conclusions!

But speaking of ecosystems and oil spills, other countries are drilling in the Gulf area. They could easily have a spill and the ecosystem could be affected. I think that the USA would be more careful than other countries (countries (Brazil for example) that we actually loaned 2 billion dollars to to drill oil :scared1:).

Can you tell I believe that we need to drill for our own oil?

I do not think the answer to the problem is more drilling. We need to get off the gas. I personally more concern that my grandkids will have the same resources that we had. When we destroy nature there is no way to bring it back how it was. Oil spills have killed thousands of ecosystems around the world. The problem is the same with and american company that a brazilian they both greedy and are willing to cut cost to get more profit.

Why is it that the people who post about Exxon's obscene profits never mention their taxes, which are more than their profits and average around 27 billion dollars a year? That 27 billion is more than the bottom 50% of taxpayers pay all together. It sounds like the really obscene profiteer is government, at least Exxon works for their money.

Why???? Because Exxon Mobil recorded NO income taxes to the IRS in 2009 and actually got a refund back to the tune of 46 million! Exxon pays income taxes to other countries and then gets a tax credit for it from the IRS.

Things that make ya go "hmmmm..."

OK, so how does posting the full quote make it sound any better than what was paraphrased? It's still a terrible response to a question from someone concerned about the high price of gas. Or perhaps you can break down the full quote to show us the good part of what he said so it doesn't sound like he basically doesn't care about the guy's problem and if he doesn't like his mileage he should get a hybrid. If there is something good about it in there I haven't been able to figure it out.

You know, I don't know what I would have said to someone who chose to have 10 kids and is complaining that he can't afford them. Folks have been saying for YEARS that we needed to move away from big vans and SUVs but many others just didn't listen. Now, when the rubber meets the road, as it were, the gas hog purchasers are crying "whaaaa." No sympathy here.:rolleyes:

I am not going to even quote some of the ridiculous things written here.

I will say that I have had my EXPEDITION forever. I have four children. FOUR.
Only a minivan would suffice. (can't afford that) Not a hybrid tiny car. Where would I put them? On the roof?
Add into that that my husband was out of work for months and when we had lost our home and he finally was reemployed it was at a 1/3 paycut. OK. So now I am putting the regular priced gas in my monster vehicle to drive 3 of my four children to school and back every morning. Our old home had the bus stop in my drive. Now I have to drive them. So, it isn't because it is spring that I am driving more. And yes. For whatever reason..our gas amount has almost doubled. Probably due to the 3.99 price tag and 15 EXTRA miles a day in driving.
Actually..my bad...our gas has almost tripled. Just sayin'.

Your signature shows that the three girls are 1, 2 and 3.

They are not school age, so you choose to drive them to preschool.

Also you have had your SUV for years to drive around your kids who were not born yet?:lmao:

You know, I don't know what I would have said to someone who chose to have 10 kids and is complaining that he can't afford them. Folks have been saying for YEARS that we needed to move away from big vans and SUVs but many others just didn't listen. Now, when the rubber meets the road, as it were, the gas hog purchasers are crying "whaaaa." No sympathy here.:rolleyes:
I don't think the man was asking for your sympathies, nor did he state that he cannot afford to care for his children. However, one would expect more understanding from the man who is president to all of us.

Why???? Because Exxon Mobil recorded NO income taxes to the IRS in 2009 and actually got a refund back to the tune of 46 million!

That's because they overpaid the year before. Like any business they have to estimate and send in payments. And they also have to pay taxes in every country that they operate in. But if you knew the story of Exxon's 2009 taxes you probably knew that also but "forgot" to include it. Here's something you can try: instead of doing a search for "Exxon record profits" try "Exxon record taxes" and see what you come up with.

Things that make you go hmmm :rolleyes1

I think our president should be held to at least a high enough standard that he doesn't make people laugh at someone. I also think the President of the United States should always have a respectful tone. This person has every right to ask a question and be treated respectfully. His family choice does not make him open to ridicule by his president.

I think our president should be held to at least a high enough standard that he doesn't make people laugh at someone. I also think the President of the United States should always have a respectful tone. This person has every right to ask a question and be treated respectfully. His family choice does not make him open to ridicule by his president.

I didn't find the president's "tone" disrepectful. I think he may have been trying too hard to keep the moment "light" and did not seem to take the person's question seriously enough (for some, that is), but that does not constitute disrespect.

The goal of the thread was to talk about how gas has become a budget buster. Part of the reason some are having such a hard time is that they have big cars and big families. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to feel sorry for them since they made this choice. Flame suit on.

The goal of the thread was to talk about how gas has become a budget buster. Part of the reason some are having such a hard time is that they have big cars and big families. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to feel sorry for them since they made this choice. Flame suit on.
I just filled my little 30 mpg work runner with $52 worth. Certainly not a family car or a big car.

$27 for a half tank yesterday (10 gallon tank) so had it been an empty tank it would probably have cost over $50.

Look at the signature again...that person is probably just saying that they have three daughters, it's not the daughters' ages. Note there isn't any age for the son. I'm guessing that means they have only one son, not that the son hasn't been born yet. Posters who list kids by age usually list the oldest ones first.

Part of the reason some are having such a hard time is that they have big cars and big families. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to feel sorry for them since they made this choice.

Back when they made the choice to have a lot of kids they probably weren't anticipating gas at these prices or other things at these prices; how could they have? It's not like they can give the kids back because things have changed with the economy. And as there is no such thing yet as a hybrid van sold in the US, that solution isn't available to them.

But they made that choice based on a different set of facts than we're currently dealing with. All of us made some choice that we probably wouldn't have in light of the current gas prices, whether it be taking a job further from home or buying a house based on a reasonable commute that doesn't seem so reasonable at $4/gal or going into a line of work that requires a lot of miles and/or a larger vehicle.

That whole "it was your choice" mindset is very dismissive of legitimate problems, and ignores the fact that we as a society depend upon an awful lot of people whose professions demand driving big, gas guzzling vehicles but don't value those people enough to be sympathetic to the terrible position they are in when gas prices spike.

But they made that choice based on a different set of facts than we're currently dealing with. All of us made some choice that we probably wouldn't have in light of the current gas prices, whether it be taking a job further from home or buying a house based on a reasonable commute that doesn't seem so reasonable at $4/gal or going into a line of work that requires a lot of miles and/or a larger vehicle.

That whole "it was your choice" mindset is very dismissive of legitimate problems, and ignores the fact that we as a society depend upon an awful lot of people whose professions demand driving big, gas guzzling vehicles but don't value those people enough to be sympathetic to the terrible position they are in when gas prices spike.
ITA!:eek:
My dh has worked at his place of employment for 20 years and he really needs to keep his job in this economy even though he needs to drive 60 miles roundtrip in his gas guzzling Ford Explorer and he is currently making less than 50k a year. He needs that type of vehicle to battle all the winter weather and such and we are still paying the loan off on it so we are stuck!:confused3
Not only is gas increasing for us but we have oil heat and our home was built in 1875 so it is not the most energy efficient, but we have a mortgage and in this economy can not afford to sell it at a loss. Plus our borough's water/sewer and trash just went up over $100 each quarter even though we actually use less water than we did before. Add to that the increase in groceries, our health insurance (over $1000 more per year), electric co. increases here in PA and the fact that my dh made almost 5k less last year due to paycuts at his work and no wonder so many people like ourselves are struggling! It really SUCKS!
I clip coupons and save over 50% on groceries and do many, many other things just so that we are able to pay our mortgage, car loans, utilities and groceries for our family. Heck we don't even take the kids to McD's for a treat once a month anymore.:laughing:

The only thing we have to look forward to is our cruise which we booked as soon as the date came out at the lowest price available and that we have paid almost totally off in the past 2 years(plus we saved up gift cards from a few years ago to pay for the tips and extras), plus it helps that my in-laws are coming along and we are in connecting inside staterooms(booked back when they were cheapest of all options) so one of our kids can stay in their room. We are driving and sharing expenses although with the cost of gas rising I'm afraid to think how much we'll be paying to drive down there from PA.
Some days that is the only thing that keeps us going, looking forward to that vacation with our family. I know some will say we should cancel and use that money for gas or oil but then we would not have that to look forward too when we are faced with the dreariness of our financial situation on a daily basis. Plus even when all is said and done the little we are paying for the cruise will not be enough to help and we will be right back where we started.

Your comment is a fair one but at the same time we do have to acknowledge that there are many individuals that made poor choices. I know a lot of people that drive huge vehicles, including a few that have Hummers. When I asked them why in the world would you ever want something like that say because I wanted it. No consideration of gas cost, amount of gas needed, commutes, or anything else. The same idea can be said of what led to the housing bust. Why did people spend so much money moving up? Many did not need a bigger house, they just wanted a bigger house. Part of the whole problem is we live in a very materialistic society and are bombarded with advertising and the idea that we have to have the newest, biggest, and best cars, house, and gadgets. I have lived in the same house for 17 years and remember when DW and I bought it we were scared to death because we paid $137,000 for it and were afraid we could not afford it. As our earnings have increased we have had numerous opportunities to trade up but never have because we are fundementally to cheap to do it. Also we bought a house that had everything we wnated in the right place and have on occasion had to suffer a longer commute to work as a result. But that was okay because we had and have reasonable living expenses and could deal with the additional costs of the commute. In other words we planned for the unplanned. We left room in the budget for such increases. This was all done with my wife not working so it was even more difficult. Now since she has gone back to work we have more cushion and more spending power, but still don't go crazy because we know to expect the unexpected. Whether it be increased gas costs, increased taxes or other emergencies. I know what we have done is not applicable to many however there are many others who could have restrained their spending and dealt with their finances better who made poor decisions and are now complaining about them.

Not everyone who is dealing with the gas prices made poor choices. I also don't believe I was "complaining" in the least bit. Just frustrated that things are where they are. Our complete lifestyle changed because of our economy (if I must get personal) My husband had been a settlement attorney for 16 years and was laid off due to his COMPANY closing that department. We went from a huge salary to an "OK" salary. We were NOT living beyond our means by any stretch of the imagination. We are doing all the right things in the most expensive county in the US.
Not only do I have four children whom I wanted very badly (15, 12, 5 and 2 if you must know), but I also run a home daycare and carpool children to and from school. It is our life. People need to stop passing judgement and NOW.
How this turned from discussing personal situations and the ramifications on our budgets to flaming a person for giving birth blows my mind.
Seriously?

They are not school age, so you choose to drive them to preschool.

Also you have had your SUV for years to drive around your kids who were not born yet?:lmao:

You obviously can't read.
No ages on the children. (Where the H did you see 1,2,3...) :confused3 OH! The age ORDER? LMBO!
Yes, had if for years. Have run a home daycare for 15. Had the FORD for 5 years to fit all the carseats that are required.
Now you really do look a bit idiotic. I work and contribute to my family.
No shame in my purchase. Thank God they make a car big enough to fit everyone. I am sure the parents who bring their children to me appreciate the safety.

My 1997 Honda Accord still gets 30 miles per gallon. Gasoline will have to go above $5 per gallon before it becomes an issue on our budget.

ITA!:eek:
....in his gas guzzling Ford Explorer and he is currently making less than 50k a year. He needs that type of vehicle to battle all the winter weather and such and we are still paying the loan off on it so we are stuck!:confused3

This is a major misconception in our thinking. I am also in PA and know the winters we have. Not sure what part of PA you are, but I am western up near I-80, which is pretty rough on snow. I have driven real 4 wheel drives (not the useless AWD garbage like my wife's current Ford Escape) for the past 20 years, but then ended up in a little tiny Honda Civic. I acquired the Civic with 4 snow tires and that thing went through everything winter could toss at me just as well as my 4x4's with various top rated all-terrain tires on them.

People bark about needing 4WD for winter all the time, and I was in the same mindset as well, but in reality, tires are 100% the way to deal with harsh winter driving, not how many wheels are moving the car or what end the wheels are driving from.

Unless you are driving through 4 feet of unplowed snow, 4WD is not needed.

This is a major misconception in our thinking. I am also in PA and know the winters we have. Not sure what part of PA you are, but I am western up near I-80, which is pretty rough on snow. I have driven real 4 wheel drives (not the useless AWD garbage like my wife's current Ford Escape) for the past 20 years, but then ended up in a little tiny Honda Civic. I acquired the Civic with 4 snow tires and that thing went through everything winter could toss at me just as well as my 4x4's with various top rated all-terrain tires on them.

People bark about needing 4WD for winter all the time, and I was in the same mindset as well, but in reality, tires are 100% the way to deal with harsh winter driving, not how many wheels are moving the car or what end the wheels are driving from.

Unless you are driving through 4 feet of unplowed snow, 4WD is not needed.

When my wife get’s called in at 3AM (surgical nurse) during one of the worst snow storms, you can bet that the patient and their family were glad we have a Tahoe and not a civic. Yes I need a real 4wd if only for a couple times a year.
BTW we also picked up the scrub nurse on the way.
4WD/AWD is not just for snow but also for ice/slippery conditions. Combined with the anti-sway technology makes driving a safer experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter