Talk to me like I am stupid

hipchickie

counting the days
I know there is another thread along the same lines, but I read all these threads, and I just don't GET it

I am ready to dump cable, we have a Wii and I think we will get Netflix and stream through that, I am all set with that.
BUT I see people mentioning Hulu...how do you watch that through your TV? Do you hook your computer up to it? is that easy to do?
I would rather not put out more money to buy a roku box or a new bluray right now, so I hope I am understanding this right and it is possible?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject but just last week I finally figured out how to watch "Supernatural" from their website on our TV. :cool1:

I hooked my laptop up to my TV and then our TV played the part of the monitor. I used a cable that has pins in both ends. Plugged one end into the TV and the other into the laptop. Easy enough to do.:thumbsup2

You should have kept the discussion in those threads. Not only are you posting a similar thing regarding those, but the title is totally off the mark. I was about to come in here and say you are stupid per the title.

Connections of TVs ar eusually Coaxial, Component, S-video and HDMI. Some may have DVI and some VGA.

IF your PC or laptop has any of those, and so does your TV, you connect with the same type of cable, and tell your computer to either clone the display to the 2nd monitor, or just show on it (the laptop/pc monitor would then go black).

Easy as that.

You use a HDMI cable and hook it up to your computer and your tv. The only thing I have yet to figure out is the sound as it only comes through the computer and not the tv. Hope this helps you out. You are not stupid for asking. JO

I should have mentioned - for the sound I hooked up a speaker to the laptop and the sound came through that just fine. Again, super easy.

And I've had to ask questions before because for whatever reason, I just wasn't "getting it". Just as an example, last night someone was trying to sell me on a computer program. They just weren't making sense to me as to why it was better than what I was already using. :confused3

I hook my computer to the TV using an HDMI cable. When I do this I have to go into the control panel, click on sound and change my output to HDMI and off my computer speakers.

You use a HDMI cable and hook it up to your computer and your tv. The only thing I have yet to figure out is the sound as it only comes through the computer and not the tv. Hope this helps you out. You are not stupid for asking. JO

I should have mentioned - for the sound I hooked up a speaker to the laptop and the sound came through that just fine. Again, super easy.

And I've had to ask questions before because for whatever reason, I just wasn't "getting it". Just as an example, last night someone was trying to sell me on a computer program. They just weren't making sense to me as to why it was better than what I was already using. :confused3

I hook my computer to the TV using an HDMI cable. When I do this I have to go into the control panel, click on sound and change my output to HDMI and off my computer speakers.

As pamrob has stated, if you are using HDMI it is not necessary to have seperate speakers. The HDMI cable carries both the audio and video signal. You just need to go into your computer's control panel and enable the HDMI sound.

Our laptop has no HDMI inout, so we use the computer cable and then use a seperate audio cable (simple red and white cables) to transfer the sound to our souround sound unit- not sure what it is called.

A few things for the OP. They have not mentioned what type of TV (HD/SD) what type of PC. Many PC's do not have an HDMI Out and no SD TVs have HDMI in. If said PC has built in graphics then you many not have any useable output.

Depending on location of said TV and said PC it might not be easiest job to connect.

I presently have my PC (self-built) wired into my home network and am able to access netfilx through both my Wii and PS3 using the supplied disk. I can also access Hulu through software called PlayOn. Also using Windows Media Player and PS3 Media server I can play anything from my PC on my Plasma.

So if the Op could provide some more info on their setup we might be able to provide more of a solution.

You should have kept the discussion in those threads. Not only are you posting a similar thing regarding those, but the title is totally off the mark. I was about to come in here and say you are stupid per the title.

Ummm, no, the actual mechanics don't ever come up, it is debating the various benefits. I am sure if I went OT people like you would have an issue with that :rotfl:

Thanks everyone - this is perfect! I don't appear to have HDMI on my laptop, but I am sure I can figure out sound, we hook up a portable DVD player to the TV and that has separate sound cables
:cool1:

It depends on the tv and pc you have. If you have an older tv, you may not be able to hook it up at all. Like the PP said, we need more info on what you have in order to help you.

A few things for the OP. They have not mentioned what type of TV (HD/SD) what type of PC. Many PC's do not have an HDMI Out and no SD TVs have HDMI in. If said PC has built in graphics then you many not have any useable output.

Depending on location of said TV and said PC it might not be easiest job to connect.

I presently have my PC (self-built) wired into my home network and am able to access netfilx through both my Wii and PS3 using the supplied disk. I can also access Hulu through software called PlayOn. Also using Windows Media Player and PS3 Media server I can play anything from my PC on my Plasma.

So if the Op could provide some more info on their setup we might be able to provide more of a solution.

sorry, i didn't see this before I posted. I have desktops, but none close to the TV. If we have an opportunity to get a tower free that we could dedicate to the setup we would do that, but in the meantime I will use my laptop. It does not have an HDMI output. My TV is really old.
I guess I will just try hooking it up at this point to see if I can get hulu to work, and if it does, great, if not, I will decide what to do next

One of those desktops is not close to the TV, but it is next to the wireless router for the house...is that possible to do anything with that?
Or should I just coerce a techie friend to come over and tell me what is an option? ;)

You can get an appliance (Like the OPlay!, or a PS3) which connects to your internet and supports Hulu, Netflix, and other online streaming services.. the appliances are only $99.. ps3 would cost more, but work easier.

Ummm, no, the actual mechanics don't ever come up, it is debating the various benefits. I am sure if I went OT people like you would have an issue with that :rotfl:

Thanks everyone - this is perfect! I don't appear to have HDMI on my laptop, but I am sure I can figure out sound, we hook up a portable DVD player to the TV and that has separate sound cables
:cool1:

you may be stuck with composite RCA (red/white/yellow) cables then. If it is SD tv wont be horrible but not great.

You are going to do Netflix to your Wii, correct?

You therefore have internet through your Wii, correct?

Hulu is a website, correct?

Shouldn't you be able to access Hulu directly through your Wii via the internet channel?

:confused3

You are going to do Netflix to your Wii, correct?

You therefore have internet through your Wii, correct?

Hulu is a website, correct?

Shouldn't you be able to access Hulu directly through your Wii via the internet channel?

:confused3

ooooh, that would be cool!

I don't have the Wii hooked up to internet yet, but that would certainly make things easy if it is possible....how about it anyone? Is it possible to do this?

ooooh, that would be cool!

I don't have the Wii hooked up to internet yet, but that would certainly make things easy if it is possible....how about it anyone? Is it possible to do this?

If you dont have the Wii hooked to the internet then you cant use netflicks. As far as i know you can't play DVDs on a Wii

If you dont have the Wii hooked to the internet then you cant use netflicks. As far as i know you can't play DVDs on a Wii

Correct. You cannot play dvd's on the Wii. You will get a special disk from Netflicks that you insert to "play" the movie.

The movie's are streamed over the internet to your Wii. You will need to hook up your Wii if you haven't already.

My internet is through Verizon and my modem functions as a wireless router. I connected my Wii up through that. Very quick and easy to do.

With hulu all you need to do is a HDMI cable to hook up to your computer and to your tv. Hulu is seperate from netflix and can not work through your wii. Wii will help you set up your internet. All you need to do is call and they will help, I have called for things I cant figure out. They have great customer service. Jo

With hulu all you need to do is a HDMI cable to hook up to your computer and to your tv. Hulu is seperate from netflix and can not work through your wii. Wii will help you set up your internet. All you need to do is call and they will help, I have called for things I cant figure out. They have great customer service. Jo

OP said that laptop nor TV has HDMI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter