• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk to me about Space Mountain please!

Skjhjb

DIS Veteran
I do not do roller coasters. Speed, heights, big old fraidy cat.

However, my 14 year old DD (who doesn't do rides much either) has decided that we must ALL do ALL the rides as a family. :rotfl2:

So before I cave to her crazy crazy crazy idea...

How intense is it? Are there huge climbs and drops? Will I go upside down?

Or am I best to skip it in all my fraidy cat crazy?

No upside down.
Fast and in the dark.

of all the coasters, it is my least favorite. I find it way too jerky for my liking.

Space Mountain is a blast!!

It doesn't go upside down and has no big drops. The "thrill factor" is that it's in the dark, so you can't see at all where you're going next.

As a roller coaster, it's on the tame side. It isn't very fast (I think I read that it goes ~30 mph), although there are a lot of tight turns that jerk you around a bit.

So...be prepared to be thrown around some, but all in all, it's not a scary ride. It was the first roller coaster I ever went on...at the age of 12 (major ride chicken here!).

I don't like it because it is so jerky. Because it throws you side to side in the dark (hard to anticipate the turns in the dark) I end up with a sore neck. As PPs have noted, there are no loops or corkscrews. I'd ride Big Thunder first. If you can handle that (imagine doing it blindfolded) then you'd probably be fine on Space Mountain.

I love Space Mountain! The drops are not very big, just enough to begin to get that "stomach in your throat" feeling. It feels faster than it is. It just makes me giggle.

Big Thunder in the dark is a pretty good approximation actually. It is not very fast and not high at all, but the darkness is what "makes" the ride. It is still one of my favorite rides in all of Disney, but I will say as I get older.... ouch!

I'd ride Big Thunder first. If you can handle that (imagine doing it blindfolded) then you'd probably be fine on Space Mountain.

Thanks for that...

I had watched some of the videos on the Disney site (they were finally working for me the other day!) and thought I might be able to handle Big Thunder!

So that will be the plan!

It's awesome :-) My kids have been riding it since they were probably 5 years old. It's a family fave. I don't consider it that intense, but super fun. Also, you have to remember that although Disney themed rides are spectacular and some of the best in the world, they aren't really known for "thrill" rides. In the world of thrill rides, Disney's coasters aren't really to high in the rankings - though I do love them.

Oh yes, exactly. I forgot about Big Thunder, but I do think that's a better ride than SM. Similar, but much less jerky for sure. have fun! :goodvibes

In the late 90's, our company had an after-hours party in Tomorrowland. I accidentally rode Space Mountain with an open bottle of beer in my hand, 3/4 full. Nary a drop was spilled. It's not bad at all. :thumbsup2

That being said, the advice to ride Big Thunder first is quite good; it'll get you ready to go.

We were on our first trip in May 2011. I had NEVER been on a coaster of any form before. My first was EE, which was great. Moved on to BTM and later SM. I ended up in the first seat of the first car. My DD11 tells me I was screaming like a baby. It ended up being my favorite ride. That said....I didn't go on RNR cause I was chicken. ha ha. I just kept telling my self that little kids go on these with no issue and it worked. I hope if you go on it, you love it as much as I did.

For either Space Mountain or BTMRR, riding in the front will be the least thrilling/scary. Riding in the back of either will have you lifting up out of your seat.

It only goes 27mph,it feels faster and the turns and drops seem quicker due to it being in the dark.The coaster itself is closest to many 70's,80's coasters you'll find at carnivals and county fairs.I love riding this coaster and if you asked me what Disney coaster would I ride 15-20 times in a row it would be Space Mountain.A lot of people might say it's jerky and say Everest or Rock n Roller gives you a smoother ride,I ride them all but Everest's backwards part makes me a bit dizzy and RnRc causes me to bump my head on the restraints some so I limit how many times I ride it.Space Mountain for me is a fast paced ride but gives me no effects at all that could make me feel bad,people are different and have different reactions to different rides,I suggest you ride it once or twice and see how you like it.

Space Mountain in teh front of the train is awesome. Space Mountain in the back of the train is rough. It feels a lot faster than it is because you're in the dark. My kids say it's like a giant spiral slide.

I'm interested to know the answer to this as well. The only way that I could get my DFi to go on this trip with me was to agree to ride SM at least once. And I am TERRIFIED at the prospect as I am scared of heights and speed. I am probably one of the biggest scaredy-cats when it comes to thrill rides. What helped me was to watch those youtube videos of SM with the lights turned on during the ride. I suppose it ruins the ride a little bit but I really like to be prepared. It doesn't look that rough from what I've seen. Though I'm pretty sure the darkness will add an element of anxiousness for me though. :eek:

There's a great YouTube video of Space Mountain with the lights on, you should watch that. My partner is scared to death of drops (in other words no RnR or ToT - Splash she did but hated) and she watched the video and is now super excited to try SM!

My son went on Space Mountain with the lights on as part of a YES class and he said it will scare the bejesus out of you how close the trains come to the steel beams of the coaster. He doesn't put his hands up anymore.

I don't like it because it is so jerky. Because it throws you side to side in the dark (hard to anticipate the turns in the dark) I end up with a sore neck. As PPs have noted, there are no loops or corkscrews. I'd ride Big Thunder first. If you can handle that (imagine doing it blindfolded) then you'd probably be fine on Space Mountain.

I totally agree with this - I find it very jerky! Because it's a "dark" coaster, you can't anticipate which way you'll be turning, and you get whipped back and forth a lot. I'm a huge coaster lover, but SM is my least favorite because of this.

Great advice to try Big Thunder first. The speed is approximately the same (maybe slightly slower on Big Thunder), but doing Space in the dark makes it seem more intense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter