• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk to me about Shades of Green

lucigo

DIS Veteran
I have a reservation for Nov 20-24. I've been going back and forth about cancelling the trip, DH is a teacher and is working VERY VERY long hours and staying home for our fall break might be a better option, however...we have never stayed at SOG and I got it for a really good deal and hate the idea of losing it because I doubt a deal like this would come up again.

Is it a don't miss resort? Do you love it? Hate it? Is it just ok?

This would be a low budget trip, and I'm throwing the idea of a cruise around also...I just don't know what to do!

We love Shades of Green, its our home away from home disney resort. Its close enough to walk to the Poly but quiet enough to relax. Its not very Disney themed (except for the Giant Mickey in the lobby!) but that has never bothered us at all. The rooms are large, it has two pools and a small hot tub. I would say go for the trip!

We LOVE SOG! :thumbsup2 We are able to stay there with my dad who is still in the military. We have stayed at mods and deluxe resorts but we keep going back to SOG. We are going again in March :cool1:and can afford to stay at a deluxe resort but I can not justify staying at one of the deluxe resorts when SOG is such a great resort as well as value! The only downfall would be the food but for us it is not a deal breaker, we eat at the Poly and in the parks.

I have a reservation for Nov 20-24. I've been going back and forth about cancelling the trip, DH is a teacher and is working VERY VERY long hours and staying home for our fall break might be a better option, however...we have never stayed at SOG and I got it for a really good deal and hate the idea of losing it because I doubt a deal like this would come up again.

Is it a don't miss resort? Do you love it? Hate it? Is it just ok?

This would be a low budget trip, and I'm throwing the idea of a cruise around also...I just don't know what to do!

We visit when we purchase our tickets, it is very nice and big! I would love to stay there once, but I'm still scared too! Not sure why either, cause it is a lot cheaper than the other WDW resorts. We never do the FD so that is not an issue, maybe we will one day:goodvibes

We have stayed there before and the resort and rooms are really nice, especially for the price (which is also tax free). It is only a 10 minute walk over to the Poly to catch the monorail which is a bonus too. The only down side is the food options. Enjoy your stay.

We have stayed at SOG many times. The rooms are really nice and the ones in the old part are some of the biggest rooms at Disney. You get the extra magic hours benefit but you are not eligible for the DDP. They have their own dining plan, but it only includes meals at the resort. One of the pools is shaped like Mickey, which is pretty cool.

I think the biggest down side is the transportation. They don't drop you off at the same place where the Disney buses drop you off, and it is sometimes a little further to the park entrances. The good thing is that you can easily walk over to the Poly to catch the Disney transportation. It is definitely worth it if you have just missed the SOG bus.

Pros: Largest rooms on property, extremely nice, can sleep more than the maximum 4 like WDW resorts, very convenient, great price, very quiet

Cons: not real thrilled with the food, you have to pay parking at the resort (although it's not a lot) AND at the parks, but the biggest for us at least, is you can't take advantage of the DDP.

So overall, it's a great resort, and I'm sure we'll stay there again. I love the big rooms. Only reason we've stayed on WDW properties is for the DDP. However, once we have a 3rd child over 3 we'll definitely be back to staying at SOG and then pay OOP for food.

Thank you all for your replies. We qualified for a $69 rate so its really hard to think about cancelling. I have until the 20th to either pay the deposit or cancel so still throwing it around. We will drive so can bring food, and will probably do that. Does anyone know if there is a microwave in the room?

Another plus to taking the trip is that my oldest is in school at UCF so we would have a chance to visit with her.

Food is the biggest issue, the last 3 trips we took included dining and we got spoiled eating those expensive meals, and this trip is definitely going to be more budget. We can't justify a "free dining" trip because it means buying a 2 day pass. We already have 3 one day passes each that we need to use up (upgrade to season passes).

Anyway, thanks for letting me get my thoughts out :)

We really enjoyed our stay at SOG!

This thread has a lot of great info on SOG http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2045518&highlight=shades+of+green

I posted some pics of the rooms from our trip last month near the last page of the thread.

Microwaves aren't in the rooms, but there are located in the laundry facilities for guest use.

The food was fine for us. It wasn't the greatest we ever had ;), but not the worse either :confused3

Value wise, I don't think SOG can be beat :). Everything including room rates are duty free. Pricing including things in the AAFES store/gift shop and food are pretty reasonable. I think SOG a wonderful option for a low budget trip :thumbsup2

Last 3 stays at Shades of Green we had free parking at the Disney parks. When did that change?

Thank you for the link, the pictures are great, really look good. I hope I can talk my DH into going, this is his first year teaching and I know he would like to spend the week planning and catching up, but Im really hoping that we can go - even if its only for 4 nights!

Do you think they would mind if we brought a small microwave? We usually do when we stay at Pop, my little guy has autism and wants "his" chicken nuggets, not any other brand.

Also wanted to confirm, no free parking at the parks if you stay at SOG?

In the last few months there having been postings about the change in the parking arrangements regarding the fees.

Recent reports have said that SOG guests can park at MK* for free, but you will be charged at AK, DHS, and EP.

* I believe the reason you can park at MK for free is because you have to go through the toll booths in order to get to SOG and to get to the MK parking lots, you have to make a small u-turn behind the tool booth line and so they sort of have to let you park for free.

It changed sometime in 2008 I believe. Most of the CMs still didn't charge at that time because the policy change was recent, so most all of the time we managed to get in for free. But I don't think that's still the case.

Do you think they would mind if we brought a small microwave? We usually do when we stay at Pop, my little guy has autism and wants "his" chicken nuggets, not any other brand.

This is from their site:

Amenities: All rooms include refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and in-room safe. Due to fire codes, any additional cooking appliances (such as microwaves) are not allowed in guestrooms.

We've stayed at SOG 4 times and I remember the confirmation sheet stating the same thing about cooking appliances. I cannot remember if there is any common area that has a microwave for guest use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter