• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk to me about January...

pixiedust10

Mouseketeer
My friend wants to take her grandson to Disney World January 2016 the week between the 17-24th and wants me to go along and play tour guide. I'm already going in November of this year for my 50th birthday, but I'll go back two months later. I'm not turning down an opportunity to go to Disney!

I've made 10 Disney trips but haven't been in January before. So tell me all about it....
I know the week we are going includes MLK day and that's always crowded at MK but how are the crowds the rest of the week? How's the weather? Any chance friend's grandson could swim in the pool?

Any insights from those who have been this time a year would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

The weather is all over the place in January. We've had highs in the 70's and lows in the mid 30's. One cold January the high for the day just barely hit 50 while another January we had pleasant, sunny weather. And it can all happen in the same week. But we've very seldom had rain during our many January trips.

That's what I figured about the weather. Thanks for the replies.

If it's cold, I guess we'll just layer up. I'd rather be cold at Disney than cold at home.

How about the crowds and wait times?

We were there the last week in January of 2014 and I really enjoyed the low crowds. Like the previous posters have said, the weather can be iffy. Some of the days were in the 70's and sunny but we had a good three days that were in the 40's and rainy so it was damp and cold. I would definitely want to give January another try before ruling it out though. Could be that we just had a weird rainy stretch in there that made our trip a little less pleasant. I've been in April before and had a few rainy days but didn't mind because it was warm. :) Either way like you said you will be in Disney!

We used to go every January but stopped last year when it was SO COLD. It was actually colder in FL than it was in NY! It was NOT Disney to us and we just didn't enjoy ourselves as much. We want Mickey ice cream - not hot chocolate and winter coats! It was so cold that it made waiting in lines uncomfortable, since a lot is outside. The crowds are lower, but not as low as they used to be. We deemed it just too risky of a time to go. We used to LUCK OUT with GREAT weather for YEARS, but that's all it was - luck! That cold was horrible!

We were there the last week of January 2014 and before that November 2012. Crowds were way lower in January. There were a few large tour groups but easily avoidable. Longest wait was about 20 mins without fast passes.

We did 2 or 3 trips in January (can't remember!). Other than those trips, we've traveled in October and November. January is our favorite time of year to go.

Touring is a lot less taxing with those cold temps. Temperatures ran the gamut - snow cold to 70s. Some days, we could wear a tshirt and shorts, layered with a sweatshirt in the wee hours. Some days, we needed long pants. Every trip, there was at least one day when we could swim. Since Disney's pools are heated, it was fine. It was a little cold when getting out of the pool, but as long as you were in the pool, it was nice.

Crowds were low. Again - our favorite time of year to go! Have a great trip!

we were there that week last year - trip report in my sig

we are going back the same week in 2016 - we had great weather but I know that's hit or miss. While Sun/Mon of MLK weekend was pretty crowded, the rest of the week was very manageable

We like January quite a lot. Prefer warm weather over cold, but unless it's just freezing, it's kind of refreshing touring the parks when it's cool. You don't realize how much the hot/humid weather can really become exhausting. Even when the area gets a cold blast, if it's sunny it's tolerable. :earsboy:

Ach222, I read your trip report and if we have half the good luck as you did, it should be a great trip! And your son is adorable.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your January experiences with me. That's what is so great about this board, everyone is always so helpful. :-):love:

I may not be of any more help than what is above, but we've been the last week in January in '13 and '14. Both times the weather was nice, lows in the 40's, highs in the high 70's. We're from Minnesota, so that was great for us as we got a few days in shorts and tee shirts (and relief from super heavy coats and hats in MN).

I noticed there were more misty/foggy nights than in other times of the year we've been, which made fireworks somewhat difficult to see on some nights. But the low crowds were SO worth it. With the exception of the always busy rides like TSMM, Soarin' and Peter Pan, wait times were 20-30 minutes, 45 at most.

Here are some shots of crowds and us to give you a sense of the weather/levels.
Jan 2013.JPG Jan 2014.JPG Jan crowds 2014.JPG January 2013.JPG january2014.JPG

I may not be of any more help than what is above, but we've been the last week in January in '13 and '14. Both times the weather was nice, lows in the 40's, highs in the high 70's. We're from Minnesota, so that was great for us as we got a few days in shorts and tee shirts (and relief from super heavy coats and hats in MN).

I noticed there were more misty/foggy nights than in other times of the year we've been, which made fireworks somewhat difficult to see on some nights. But the low crowds were SO worth it. With the exception of the always busy rides like TSMM, Soarin' and Peter Pan, wait times were 20-30 minutes, 45 at most.

Here are some shots of crowds and us to give you a sense of the weather/levels.
View attachment 113045 View attachment 113046 View attachment 113047 View attachment 113048 View attachment 113049

Thanks for the info and pictures. They are very helpful! And your little one is a cutie!

We went the last few days of January into the first week of February this year and loved it. We wore light jackets during the day and were able to swim in the heated pool in the afternoon/evening. It was chilly when getting out but was doable. That said, our first trip to Disney was in December of 2010 and there were a number of VERY cold days/nights during that trip, and we had not packed for it. So just be sure to bring a variety of clothing options! It could be 80 or it could be 40, you just never know.

As for crowds, they were great. I follow the crowd calendars on easywdw.com and love them. Magic Kingdom never feels uncrowded to me in the afternoons...but if you get there in the morning, you will love how much you're able to do before the crowds build. I would go back in January again in a heartbeat!

My friend wants to take her grandson to Disney World January 2016 the week between the 17-24th and wants me to go along and play tour guide. I'm already going in November of this year for my 50th birthday, but I'll go back two months later. I'm not turning down an opportunity to go to Disney!

I've made 10 Disney trips but haven't been in January before. So tell me all about it....
I know the week we are going includes MLK day and that's always crowded at MK but how are the crowds the rest of the week? How's the weather? Any chance friend's grandson could swim in the pool?

Any insights from those who have been this time a year would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

After the first week in January the crowds are non-existent. My daughters took a friend of theirs last January who had never been (on my dime of course) and they walked on every ride. The cost of rooms is also the lowest of the year (thankfully). Weather is bipolar but still pack for cool weather and be prepared for wet (this is the only time of the year when I go against my normal advice of not worrying about the rain).

We've been in January (2nd or 3rd week) a couple of times now and both times, it started out suuuuuper cold early in the week but warmed up (mid-70s?) for the last couple of days. However, those were weeks when the rest of the United States was experiencing record cold temps and Florida was listed as the only state without snow on the ground for one of them (2011... which sounds so long ago... sob). Here is my family's thing: We are from Colorado. Winter here is cold. But it is a dry cold. So the humid cold of Florida hit us a bit harder than what we are used to at home. But we layered up and coped. Constant movement helps. I was back in sandals by the end of both weeks, so it definitely got better. And there was no rain or anything. Maybe just some clouds and fog.

We went that period in 2011, so it's been awhile but, I can tell you a little of what we experienced.

The weather was amazing!! I think we got lucky cause the weather could not have been better. Beautiful sunny days in the 70s and I don't think it rained the entire time we were there.
The crowds were also great. I remember a Monday at Epcot in the WS where the place was a ghost town. We ate lunch in the American Pavillion and we were the only people in the dining room and that was right around noon.
We had a sort of busy MK night but, that was a Saturday night.. Naturally there will be crowds but, it was still very manageable.

And we never saw any big tour groups. I guess they are around quite a bit in January and February. It could also be that we didn't pay any attention cause they weren't disruptive and we were having such a good time but, I also think it could be that 4 years ago there weren't as many of them as there is now.

Out of our three trips that January trip was the best. The reason we tried other months was because of something that had nothing to do with WDW itself. We ran into a major ice storm coming through Texas on the way home. We always drive, I avoid flying as much as possible and love a road trip but, we got stuck in a hotel in Texas for 2 nights because of a freak ice storm. My husband was none too pleased so we decided not to risk inclement weather and go in the fall now.

Although honestly if this September 2015 trip we have coming up is similar to our 2012 trip then we are going back in January or February. September was so hot and humid and the crowds weren't light enough in my opinion to justify the miserable heat.. And it rained every day. It poured buckets of rain every afternoon for short bursts.
I wanted to give September another chance before I gave up on it though. We are going a little earlier in the month and hoping for better crowds but, I know the weather will still be pretty miserable.
I will risk a 60 degree day in January with a little chill in the air over a 95 day with brutal humidity!!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences about January. It's actually making me excited for the trip. Oh who am I kidding, I'd be excited any time I get to go to Disney. :yay: But knowing that others have had good experiences in the winter helps.

We are also going to be there next year from the 14th to the 24th. We didn't make it this year in January but we did go the two previous years. We love going in January though we are able to handle the cold or what they call cold in Florida. I had one bag check guy look at me and go "you would be wearing shorts" with my North Dakota shirt on.

January is awesome! Bring hoodies and layer your clothing just in case we get a cold snap. Late January is when this happens for a week or two when we hit the 40's to 50's at night and barely hit 70 during the day.
Floridians look forward to January as a reward for making it thru May to October. lol
As for swimming, the pools are heated but of course the air is not, so be at the ready with towels for the little guy to wrap up in after getting out of the pool. And maybe some hot chocolate pool side too. :)
You will have a fantastic time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter