Talk me out of getting a puppy

I don't know if I got lucky but I have a black and a chocolate. Never had any teething or potty issues or worried about crating. The only problem I have with them is the chocolate goes after the black so we have to keep them seperated at all times. Would I ever have 2 dogs again? NO but do I think puppies are all that much work, no I don't. You could get really lucky. I don't think my chocolate ever peed in the house and he is far to lazy to chew anything but food. So we keep the pantry door closed where the food is.

Dogs give alot more back to you IMHO then you put into them. I say take them both.

Sounds like you already made up your mind and you are looking for someone to talk you out of it.

I swore we would never have a dog. Well, little Maggie is now cuddling with me as I type. We honestly had no issues with house breaking or chewing. It is extra work but honestly in today's market your house could take months to sell anyway.

The house we bought had a dog and a cat. We were disgusted with the odor from these neglected animals but we planned to replace the carpet and refinish the hardwood floors anyway so it was not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I know the feeling. My neighbor just started fostering shelter dogs, she had one out yesterday that was just so cute! Well behaved, already house broken, great personality. DH was all for it. Couple or three (or four... ) problems.

1) We already have a dog that has made it very clear that she wants to be an ONLY dog. She would eat the new dog.

2) Current dog just gave us an unexpected $300 vet bill (she's fine now).

3) We may be taking a trip next month. Double the kennel fee.

4) I'd have one more living creature in the house I need to clean up after and feed.

So, no, we didn't get a new doggie this weekend. We've decided to wait until our curent one passes on (may that day be long in coming). But dang, that puppy was cute! :goodvibes

Geez OP...You know you want one! Please post pics so we can help name him!!!

I don't think my chocolate ever peed in the house and he is far to lazy to chew anything but food. So we keep the pantry door closed where the food is.
:rotfl2: That is our Lola to a T- she will eat any FOOD she finds but nothing else and I love the lazy part because that's it! And really training her was so easy. Labs seem to get it very quickly. She is eager to please too.

How about me.....:rolleyes1

Lets see, we sold our house and now we have 2 BIG DOGS in 2 apartments (Texas and Missouri) since April.

We have since bought a house (yea!), and now we have to put up a fence for the dogs. Yea...that is our Christmas.

Damn dogs....:lmao:

Okay, I'll be the voice of truth and reason. (We did get a puppy in January so it is all still very fresh!)

1-They cost WAY more than you think they will. Food, puppy shots (hundreds of $$), spay/nuetering, monthly heartworm and flea meds ($35), crate, leash, dog training, kenneling at the vet everytime you want to go anywhere (at least $25/night), etc

2-Puppy training is a major PITA!!!! Cleaning up pee and poop all over the place. Do you work? If you do, you have to start worrying about the puppy and if she's peeing all over her kennel for you to clean up when you get home.

3-Don't believe the kids! Yes, they will love her and say they will do everything. That does not last long. If you do get one, make them sign a contract. My kids had to contribute $$ to buy her supplies and DS has to pick up poop and walk her twice a day.

4-Say goodbye to anything on the floor. Our dog has destroyed so much. Puppies love to chew and it takes a long time to get past that.

5-Do you enjoy your home smelling like a dog? Do you like dog hair everywhere? Do you want to seep your kitchen/vacuum ALL the time?

Okay, there you have it!

We do love our dog but it really is a ton of work/time/money.

Well after a night of careful consideration of the pros and cons Ive decided against the puppy. I started thinking of how much freedom we would lose to just pick up and go out for the entire day like we do now. Also, we are hoping to downsize into a smaller home and since we don't know where we will be going or how big of a yard we might have it wouldn't be fair to take a huge dog that might not potentially get to go with us eventually. I think we are going to have to just wait until we move and see what we can actually have. Gosh I hate being an adult. DH says he agrees. Thanks to all who made me see both sides. I cant wait until we do move so we can get one, but this just isn't the time for one.

Well, if you change your mind we'll help you with names. :rolleyes1

Shelby

Oh, this sounds exactly like our story.

We lost our 11 1/2 year old black Labrador Lewie last spring from canine bloat. It was very quick, and we really didn't have time to grieve.

Now the kids are really, really wanting a puppy. And even though they've promised to feed, walk, and train it, guess who will be doing most of it?

Mom, I'm sure.

Yet, those soft puppy faces are so hard to resist . . .

My vote is GET THE PUP! Houses are just material things. Dogs are your loving companions forever. You can make it work. Your kids only grow up once and dogs can be a big part of childrens lives. I know they were for me.

Now, what ya gonna name him?

My vote is GET THE PUP! Houses are just material things. Dogs are your loving companions forever. You can make it work. Your kids only grow up once and dogs can be a big part of childrens lives. I know they were for me.

Now, what ya gonna name him?

This is what my heart says, however, the adult in me says no. DH and I agreed this morning that it would be best to just wait until we finally get moved and choose one together. He desperately wants one too but wants to wait. My heart really is breaking over this, and I pray my brother doesn't bring them to my moms on his next visit.

CIMG2404.jpg

CIMG2403.jpg

What I found one day when my almost year old puppy got out of his crate while I was at work.:headache:

I cant wait until we do move so we can get one, but this just isn't the time for one.
:hug: I think you made the right decision. There will always be a puppy who needs a home when you have a home ready for him or her.

CIMG2404.jpg

CIMG2403.jpg

What I found one day when my almost year old puppy got out of his crate while I was at work.:headache:

This just reminded me of when my old dogs were puppies a billion years ago. We had one of those metal cabinets in the kitchen where I kept all my dry goods, flour, sugar, etc. The doors had those magnets so you pushed the door and it popped open. Well my dogs (who were only about a year old) pushed open the doors and not only did they get out all my dry goods but they so politely carried it to my living room carpet and tore it all to shreds. We liked to never got that mess out of the center of the living room floor.

Sad thing is this dog was crated, he broke out. I learned my lesson to crate a dog when my last puppy a sheltie ate my apartment literally. He ate huge holes in the sheetrock, half a post on my bed, part of my mattress and assorted other things and he only was 18 pounds.

I was going to say "I cannot talk you out of getting a puppy" because I love puppies and have had lots.

But then I remembered. What a hassle it is when you want to go away.... to WDW for example.... and stay for days and days at your favorite resort. You have to have the dog boarded or get a sitter, or beg a friend or relative....

And if you board you must be sure you've got all it's shots updated, which costs a mint these days.

A vet appointment for a physical alone, for a healthy dog is in the hundreds in most places. That's money you could spend each year on a weekend stay at a value resort!!!

Yes, I have to get a dog sitter for my dog this year and it's a pain in the neck.

If you like to travel, even semi frequently, I was going to say to think twice.

Now I see you've made your decision, and it's a good one. It's never a good idea to get a puppy on impulse. You will be a great and very responsible puppy person some day!

It sounds like while a hard decision, a right decision. It is not saying you are never going to get a puppy, but that the time is just not right now. Once you settle into the new home would be such a better time for both you and the puppy to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter