Talk me into/out of buying RIV direct...

They run buses from Intl Gateway to RIV when the skyliner is down? I always thought you needed to go to the front entrance of Epcot for the bus. This is great news!
I don’t know if they always do it but to the left of the skyliner at IG, there’s a gate that opens and you can wait there and they will take you backstage on the bus to get to RIV so you don’t have to walk to the front.

Just here to say that I also wanted an EPCOT resort but didn't want 2042 or Riv (resale restrictions DO bother me if they hurt the value of my contract). I ultimately chose Poly because the TTC access from the DVC side is the next best thing. I get a MK resort that is still super easy access to EPCOT. We also just really like Poly a lot too, so that certainly didn't hurt! :)

I've looked into direct and while I'm not bothered by RIV resale restrictions I'm struggling with what direct is really getting me:

1) Annual Passes: We always travel the week between Christmas - NYE, so I need the Incredipass...so no benefit there.
2) Staying at other resorts: I'm really buying these points to be close to EPCOT/HS - and unless I wait for 2042 - I don't envision any new construction getting us any closer than RIV. So if I use these points exclusively at RIV, I'm basically treating them like restricted points.
3) Combining with other contracts: Since I plan to use the FW at CCV, and my GVF points at GVF or another monorail resort, I don't expect us to need to combine...

The only upside to buying direct that I can see would be securing a Guaranteed Week, which I do think will come in handy down the road when there are many RIV resale owners only able to book there...but is that premium worth 15k?

What am I missing?

There's also part of me that says stick with Swan/Dolphin for our non-Dec trips and just wait and see what Disney has up their sleeve...
We've gotten spectacular NYW fireworks views from Riviera - also of both Epcot and MK. While we usually use our RIV points there, we are now (after a few years of ownership) starting to use our points elsewhere. We have other points that can be used outside the O14 (bought resale pre 2019). While I'd say that MOST of the time we use our points at our home resorts, we don't always - it's probably 1/4 or 1/3 of the times we will switch at 7 months. We've stated at BCV 2-3x and BWV 2-3x on other points, and while I do like each of them for different reasons, the rooms are much nicer at Riviera. I do encourage you to take a tour. The bath layouts in studios are especially good at Riviera, and the studios and 1BR sleep 5. There are no sofa beds at Riviera (this may be the case at BWV after the refurb, too, but the 1br only sleep 4).

The kitchen at RIV is way more functional than BWV/BCV and the primary bathroom uses space much better. We don't cook when we're at WDW, but for breakfast or to cut the occasional watermelon, there is just not enough room - seating and counter space - at BCV/BWV.

I happen to love the resort, but that also hasn't stopped me from switching it up to BCV/BWV at times. If you buy BCV/BWV your contract ends sooner and you can't stay at RIV. If you get RIV you can book at all 3. We've been lucky with the wait lists and have landed BW view and standard view rooms at BWV. The times we booked at BCV we didn't need to WL because the rooms were bookable.

One final point about BWV: all 2br units are lockoffs. This makes 2br really hard to get and the location of the connecting door isn't in the best place.

We have lifetime Titanium status at Marriott, but I can’t imagine staying at Swolphin being my forever plan. It’s just not the same.

We are lifetime gold/currently platinum and used points at Swolphin a LOT before becoming DVC members. I'd still use them if we were out of points, but now favor DVC and the Epcot resorts a lot more. The walk from the Dolphin is Loooooong.

I don’t know if they always do it but to the left of the skyliner at IG, there’s a gate that opens and you can wait there and they will take you backstage on the bus to get to RIV so you don’t have to walk to the front.
This is good to know. We bought Riviera before opening and have gone many times over the years, and we've still never had to take the bus. We've been in the skyliner line when it snaked around that area, and it's not been a terrible wait - about 10 minutes? We also did extended evening hours at Epcot last summer (when we were staying at BWV) and were happy to just walk back, but the line was not too bad as we passed.

As for "resale restrictions hurt the value of your contract" - now that there are more RIV contracts for sale resale, prices seem pretty stable, but since our past points were all unrestricted as to resort, I wanted to lowball a RIV resale but there just weren't any. If we were to sell our contracts now, we'd probably have lost $40 pp plus dues, which comes out to bout $10 pp +$8-9 pp dues per year - so under $20 pp. For $20 pp we've probably stayed more than 20 nights in the last 4 years... And we still have 46 years of points to use.

Would I add RIV resale to my current points to get a larger villa at RIV? Haven't ruled it out but the price is also not low enough yet for me to bite!

We bought 300 Riviera pts direct back in 2020 when incentives put the price pretty darn close to some resale places that couldn't book the Riviera. Me and hubby loved what we saw from the resort and the skyliner looked amaaaaazing. After buying there we stayed there 5 times and every single visit we've been stranded more than once by the skyliner shutting down. Most of the time it wasn't even raining, and the cast members just said there was lightening some miles away, the worst time was when we had to run in the rain from the back entrace to Epcot all the way to Boardwalk (insult to injury, I tell you 🤬), then waited to pack like sardines on a bus that went to EVERY LAST RESORT before finally letting us off more than an hour later at Riviera. I know it's been beat like a dead horse, but the Riviera is in a terrible location without the skyliner and way too many times, we've had to do without the skyliner. We usually travel late August through Food and Wine, so it's prime hurricane/rainy season. If you don't plan to travel during that time, maybe it won't be a biggie but we have started staying at Beachclub and Boardwalk instead for Food and wine. Also didn't care about restrictions at all when we bought cause we weren't never going to sell, but starting to feel a little differently now that were seriously thinking about selling and buying something else instead that gets us off the skyliner. When it works it is the best location as good as any monorail resort, but when it's not working its actually worse than animal kingdom and saratoga which don't share the bus with other resorts. We'll uber to Topolinos (still one of the best restaurants at WDW), but staying at the Riviera has been a gambling game I don't want to play no more.

We bought 300 Riviera pts direct back in 2020 when incentives put the price pretty darn close to some resale places that couldn't book the Riviera. Me and hubby loved what we saw from the resort and the skyliner looked amaaaaazing. After buying there we stayed there 5 times and every single visit we've been stranded more than once by the skyliner shutting down. Most of the time it wasn't even raining, and the cast members just said there was lightening some miles away, the worst time was when we had to run in the rain from the back entrace to Epcot all the way to Boardwalk (insult to injury, I tell you 🤬), then waited to pack like sardines on a bus that went to EVERY LAST RESORT before finally letting us off more than an hour later at Riviera. I know it's been beat like a dead horse, but the Riviera is in a terrible location without the skyliner and way too many times, we've had to do without the skyliner. We usually travel late August through Food and Wine, so it's prime hurricane/rainy season. If you don't plan to travel during that time, maybe it won't be a biggie but we have started staying at Beachclub and Boardwalk instead for Food and wine. Also didn't care about restrictions at all when we bought cause we weren't never going to sell, but starting to feel a little differently now that were seriously thinking about selling and buying something else instead that gets us off the skyliner. When it works it is the best location as good as any monorail resort, but when it's not working its actually worse than animal kingdom and saratoga which don't share the bus with other resorts. We'll uber to Topolinos (still one of the best restaurants at WDW), but staying at the Riviera has been a gambling game I don't want to play no more.
That's fair. That sucks they didn't open up the bus path for you guys near IG! But yeah it sort of is a gamble at times staying at Riviera, when everything is working the resort is amazing. But if the skyliner is down its a huge negative. I wish there was a way for them to utilize boat transportation at the resort to the parks. To be fair though, it really is only most prominent when you're coming back from Epcot to your resort at least for us anyways. If the skyliner is down, we probably wouldn't walk the 20 minutes from HS to BCV/BWV in the rain and would have taken the bus although others might walk. That being said I hope you at least broke up your 300 points into multiple contracts!

I hear you on this - this is the exact time of year we’d be using our RIV points too - so I could see it being especially problematic. Curious - how has it been getting BWV/BCV at 7 month? I own GFV (partially to stay but partially as SAP) and hoping August is a bit easier to land rooms at Crescent Lake.

I hear you on this - this is the exact time of year we’d be using our RIV points too - so I could see it being especially problematic. Curious - how has it been getting BWV/BCV at 7 month? I own GFV (partially to stay but partially as SAP) and hoping August is a bit easier to land rooms at Crescent Lake.

We have only had a down Skyliner once and we just walked to BC and called a Lyft. It was $8 and well worth it.

So, unless someone has a scooter, we budget for that now just in case.

Riviera owner here who also loves BWV/BCV. We often go that last week in August.
We have stayed at RIV - Dec 2019, March 2021, Labor Day2021, Dec 2021, March 2024 - we've been lucky not to have thunderstorms while we were there (even Labor Day) so we haven't experienced the Skyliner being down. I did take note last 2 summers when we were at BCV and BWV, but we had really good weather those weeks. (Last year, when Idalia came, we were at AK)

We got a week in a 2br (lockoff) standard view at BWV last August. We also picked up a night in a 2br Boardwalk view. It did make it handy to walk home after extended evening hours at Epcot. We also closed down MK and took a bus back, though, no biggie. P/G view was available at 7 mo but I WL only standard view - a whole week! - and it filled about 2 months out.

BCV 2br in August, switched at 7mo, no problem.
My sister decided in April that she wanted to join us - that was a little harder, but I pieced together 5 nights in a studio (4 months in advance). It helped that the new resort studios at VGF opened that summer.

2020-2021 - granted this was covid so ...
March 2021 - got 3-4 days during spring break in a BCV 1br around 7 mo in advance
Dec 2020 - BWV studio

Edited to add: we bought our RIV points mainly for New Years. When we go in late August, we often do a split stay using BLT points for non-MK and VGF for VGF. My kids do love SAB but don't love the walk back to the room.

We own at Riviera (direct) 100% for location as an Epcot area resort. We have enjoyed staying at BWV and BCV, but the expiration dates on those two resorts kinda conflicts with our general trend away from 2042 resorts. We like that we have both MK and Epcot area resorts, depending on our vacation plans. Our direct SSR points can be used anywhere so they're staying in the portfolio forever. I'm honestly not SUPER wild about Riviera, but the proximity to Epcot AND Hollywood Studios is a plus for some family members who prefer Epcot over MK. We also don't have so many that selling them down the road and any perceived negative cost impact due to resale restrictions will really move the needle.

We're keeping our BCV contract for now, but that may change over the next year.

Riviera owner here who also loves BWV/BCV. We often go that last week in August.
We have stayed at RIV - Dec 2019, March 2021, Labor Day2021, Dec 2021, March 2024 - we've been lucky not to have thunderstorms while we were there (even Labor Day) so we haven't experienced the Skyliner being down. I did take note last 2 summers when we were at BCV and BWV, but we had really good weather those weeks. (Last year, when Idalia came, we were at AK)

We got a week in a 2br (lockoff) standard view at BWV last August. We also picked up a night in a 2br Boardwalk view. It did make it handy to walk home after extended evening hours at Epcot. We also closed down MK and took a bus back, though, no biggie. P/G view was available at 7 mo but I WL only standard view - a whole week! - and it filled about 2 months out.

BCV 2br in August, switched at 7mo, no problem.
My sister decided in April that she wanted to join us - that was a little harder, but I pieced together 5 nights in a studio (4 months in advance). It helped that the new resort studios at VGF opened that summer.

2020-2021 - granted this was covid so ...
March 2021 - got 3-4 days during spring break in a BCV 1br around 7 mo in advance
Dec 2020 - BWV studio

Edited to add: we bought our RIV points mainly for New Years. When we go in late August, we often do a split stay using BLT points for non-MK and VGF for VGF. My kids do love SAB but don't love the walk back to the room.
This is super helpful, THANK YOU! (And weather is so hit or miss...we used to go every October and of course we were stuck in WDW for Hurricane Matthew so you never know...)

Last edited:
We own at Riviera (direct) 100% for location as an Epcot area resort. We have enjoyed staying at BWV and BCV, but the expiration dates on those two resorts kinda conflicts with our general trend away from 2042 resorts. We like that we have both MK and Epcot area resorts, depending on our vacation plans. Our direct SSR points can be used anywhere so they're staying in the portfolio forever. I'm honestly not SUPER wild about Riviera, but the proximity to Epcot AND Hollywood Studios is a plus for some family members who prefer Epcot over MK. We also don't have so many that selling them down the road and any perceived negative cost impact due to resale restrictions will really move the needle.

We're keeping our BCV contract for now, but that may change over the next year.
Did you recently buy into RIV? For some reason I don't remember that being in your sig 🤔

Last edited:
This is super helpful, THANK YOU! (And weather is so hit or miss...we used to go every October and of course we were stuck in WDW for Hurricane Matthew so you never know...)

It is SO hit or miss! Last August, we had 1 day of Idalia (the resorts were amazing, they took in people who'd evacuated from the coast, so there were characters in the lobby, etc, making the best of it) and the rest of the week was hot but not stormy. In past years it was more reliable that we'd get an afternoon storm but then it would just cool things off and we'd go about our business.

When we were at BWV last summer, we had planned to go to AK that day anyway, but would have switched regardless to either AK or MK to avoid having to walk so far in the rain.

There is something special about staying at Riviera that the haters don't/won't see. You can get a sense of the resort from a visit, for sure, but it is far less frenetic and we have a different rhythm to our trip when we stay there. It's like a little bubble of calm, which is especially nice on HS days when the kids want to ride everything as much as possible. :)

Since we are looking at getting into RIV for direct benefits and an Epcot resort after 2042 I'm interested in what happens to the price of resale RIV once it sells out direct.

Will it go up in price despite the restrictions because it will be the only Epcot area resort with a long shelf-life left? Or will resale prices stay low/go down further and set up a ROFR dream for Disney? They would be able to buy contracts back, remove resale restrictions, then sell them for full price again... 🤔

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter