• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Talk me into door magnets

I do like the magnets for finding my cabin - although, I am getting better at remembering the number (only because on the Wish they just wanted your cabin number instead of the key card). DVC automatically puts a magnet on your door. One year it was a square that broke apart into like 12 magnets.

For our first cruise I got a magnet from Etsy in the shape of a cast member badge with our names on them and our sailing dates, it lives on our fridge now! I got one for our second cruise too since it's a fun memento.

For our second cruise, I also made Mickey and Minnie head magnets with our names - I customised templates from a Facebook group and then uploaded them to a photo printing website which printed them onto magnetic paper and I cut them out. I'm in the UK so used Asda Photo, I guess there must be similar options in the US.

I didn't think I'd be a magnet person, but it was fun to customise the door a little!

1706903429175.png

So this will be our first Disney cruise - we are on the Wish 2/19.

My daughters are 11 and 15. We are also traveling with my sister in law and her son (my nephew) who is 12. So 3 cabins total and the kids are in their too-cool-for-school preteen/teen era (super fun 🙄).

Should I order magnets from etsy? What do you guys do with the magnets after the cruise? Does anyone reuse magnets from an earlier cruise (if it doesn't have the ship and the date?)

Anyone want to talk me into doing this? lol :banana:

I will happily take any other first time DCL/Wish tips as well :-)
I am a big door magnet fan!! We cruise Disney often so I have some magnets I got from Etsy that I reuse from cruise to cruise and some are special like Halloween or Christmas themed. But I keep them all in my closet in a big folder for future use.
I enjoy decorating my door as it’s something that makes me really happy to do. You definitely don’t have to decorate but in my opinion just makes the cruise extra special. If you were to go ahead with it I would def see what the shipping time is as you may not get them in time for your cruise. Just ask before you purchase. I will be on the 2/10 Fantasy and ordered a few 50th Birthday magnets from Etsy and they took about 3 weeks to arrive. Amazon has some door magnets as well. Take a look. You’ll have a fun time on your cruise no matter what you decide but door decorations are really Fun!

Attachments

• IMG_8592.jpeg
    IMG_8592.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 7
Door magnets are fun, but I'd caution you to only spend as much time and effort on them as you are willing to lose. They do go missing sometimes. The one and only time we brought magnets most of them were stolen. And yes we checked to see if someone had just moved them to another cabin, as that can happen as well. Nope - they were gone never to be seen again. Hopefully that isn't common, but I'm not the only person to mention it on these boards. Just something to keep in mind. Still, if you are so inclined go for it. Just don't waste a lot of money on it. I'd rather buy an extra cocktail myself :goodvibes .

We have magnets from Etsy that we reuse on each cruise (one per person with our names on them). Putting them up is part of our embarkation day ritual and I like that it makes our room feel more "ours." My kids are younger though and enjoy getting to arrange the magnets. I find them to be a fun little thing that's something unique to cruising but they're certainly not mandatory.

So this will be our first Disney cruise - we are on the Wish 2/19.

My daughters are 11 and 15. We are also traveling with my sister in law and her son (my nephew) who is 12. So 3 cabins total and the kids are in their too-cool-for-school preteen/teen era (super fun 🙄).

Should I order magnets from etsy? What do you guys do with the magnets after the cruise? Does anyone reuse magnets from an earlier cruise (if it doesn't have the ship and the date?)

Anyone want to talk me into doing this? lol :banana:

I will happily take any other first time DCL/Wish tips as well :-)
Make your own. We do and I am not crafty at all. Like I could not make an FE pocket hanging thing if I tried. But making your own magnets is fun because you can really personalize them. Ours are very unique and we often see people stopping at our door to look at and read them. So I hope they make people smile. 😊. We bring in a lot of the old school Walt Disney stuff.

We got some off Etsy and made a few of our own. We enjoy pin boards on the door too.

IMO, if you don't want to do it, don't bother (same with FEs, and ducks). I have had them a few times, (when traveling with a group and someone made them for us all, my kids graduation cruises, and our 20th anniversary cruise), but for our usual just a vacation cruise, I can't be bothered. ;) I have no problem finding my room by location and knowing the number.

If you want to do it by all means do...some I have seen are quite fun and I have no problem looking at them. But if its not something that you or your family care about, I would say don't bother adding more work and expense to the cruise.

We bring a few magnets along - but don't go overboard. I find it very helpful for room spotting. I like to make wreaths:

IMG_4506.jpg

DVC automatically puts a magnet on your door. One year it was a square that broke apart into like 12 magnets
:offtopic:
A square that broke into 12 pieces! Oh my! That’s a lot to keep up with. I’m happy with the DVC Mickey ear hat that fit neatly over the room number.

We make ours. It's part of the pre cruise build up for us now and adds to the fun. The kids change their minds about which characters they like as they age, so we make new ones each time. We reuse the magnets which are from a roll.

From a practicality perspective it makes it easier to identify your stateroom door.

If you do it make sure you have plenty of magnets on your creations so they don't fall off the door

Etsy is a great place for door magnets, but there's also an online community (don't know the specific name of it) where you can download patterns and cut outs and make your own magnets at home. But you don't have to only do Disney magnets. You can personalize your door to reflect your family as long as it follows the decoration guidelines. If you have connecting staterooms on the Wish, you can even decorate the wall between the two doors.

Yes, I reuse magnets from an earlier cruise. I have one main door decoration for the older ships with the round number on the door, and a different main door decoration for the Wish that has a more rectangle door number. And then I pepper in smaller magnets on the door for extra pizazz. Those get reused no matter which ship I'm on.

I've also purchased a room decor package on an earlier cruise, and some items from that package (with magnets that stick to the stateroom ceiling) I bring along to the next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter