Taking wine onboard

moogiepet

Mouseketeer
I'm aware of the policy of how much wine is allowed to be brought onboard per each adult over age 21, but at what point in the check-in process do we declare what we're bringing with us?

We're going on our 3rd cruise soon, but so far we've only drank what we purchased on the ship.

TIA!

Make sure it is in your carry-on and they will see it when it goes through the scanner. I've never had to declare what beverages we are bringing on board.

They will see the wine on the scanner screen as your carry-on is x-rayed. Most times nothing is said. However, twice I've been stopped by one of the security agents since the new regulations took effect.

I carry the wine in special protective bottle protectors (bubble wrap with heavy plastic outer cover). Once, I think they just wanted to be sure it was wine and not spirits since a red wine bottle resembles a whisky/rum/vodka bottle. The other time was because I had all 4 bottles in my carry-on and the security agent wanted to confirm we had two adults in the cabin. Didn't help that DW went through security ahead of me and took off for the check-in desk before I'd even had my bag screened. When she noticed I wasn't behind her, she returned and the agent waved us on through. On our last cruise I told her we would stay together, at least until we cleared security screening, but we weren't stopped, questioned, or anything like before.

When we we going through docking (security check point) they were telling everyone if you brought any type of beverage (H20, Soda, Liquor) you need to take the carry on bag carrying the liquid over to a table where they were looked at by a security person. We had no problem taking our beverages on board they just had to look at them first.

What about wine openers. I know you can't bring on swiss army knives, so I'm wondering whether you can bring the corkscrew on board.

Looks like you are allowed to bring 1 six pack of beer per person. My husband can't drink regular beer and will most likely need to bring gluten free beer(if indeed he is allowed). Anyone notice passengers bringing beer?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. We will each be carrying a bag with two bottles each :o)

This is good news! I thought the policy was no alcohol. I love having a pre-dinner drink on the veranda and wasn't relishing schlepping up to a bar and dragging it back. I take it, it is 2 bottles per adult?

This is good news! I thought the policy was no alcohol. I love having a pre-dinner drink on the veranda and wasn't relishing schlepping up to a bar and dragging it back. I take it, it is 2 bottles per adult?
Yes, each adult over age 21 is allowed to bring two bottles of wine (750 ml ea) or one 6-pack of beer. No hard liquor

Looks like you are allowed to bring 1 six pack of beer per person. My husband can't drink regular beer and will most likely need to bring gluten free beer(if indeed he is allowed). Anyone notice passengers bringing beer?
It's right in the rules that you are allowed to bring it. As long as it is beer and not a mixed drink in a can they will allow it. In fact if you aren't bringing anything yourself he can bring 12 cans as long as you are there with him to show it is for two people. Remember that you are limited to twelve ounce cans or smaller, don't try bringing pounders and trying to convince security that you only brought 4 so it is ok. They are only paid to do addition, not multiplication ;)

What about wine openers. I know you can't bring on swiss army knives, so I'm wondering whether you can bring the corkscrew on board.
And if you forget your room steward should be able to provide one.

Yes, two bottles of wine per adult (per embarkation). So you can bring 2 more each at every port of call.

I've never had a problem bringing a wine opener onboard. You can get one from your steward, but I prefer to have my own. I have one that has a protected cutting edge so it's pretty hard to cut anything except the foil (or your finger if you get inquisitive to see what it feels like to be a wine bottle), and it's even allowed by TSA.

You can also get empty wine glasses from any bar. Most times our steward will replace them with clean ones if asked (our last one said he couldn't do it).

You can also get empty wine glasses from any bar. Most times our steward will replace them with clean ones if asked (our last one said he couldn't do it).

We were able to get wine glasses directly from our steward. He brought us a plate shrink-wrapped with four glasses. Each time we used one he removed it from the room. When we used all four he brought us four more. We used our own corkscrew; we put it in our checked bag. Not sure if it would have gotten through security in our carry-on.

In Galveston over the December 23rd sailing it was not enough going through x-ray. We all had to go to another line to a lady that has no knowledge of wines. She took each bottle out, shook it, and held it up to the light... we had two bottles of port and two bottles of sherry. Well, she had not heard of sherry and she managed to pop off the top and opened it and then smelled it and said, "it smelled like alcohol." She then took it over to another guy that reaffirmed her that it was wine.... long story short, she tossed the open bottle in the trash because it was "open." My husband was furious... we spoke to guest service and they magically delivered a gift basket with a bag of popcorn, two mickey bars and two coca cola mini cans as a consolation...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter