Taking the Leap! My first PTR! TR link posted 11/19

That's awesome that you will be surprising DH with the Wishes Dessert Party, I hope he loves it! And I guess I was a weird kid too because i loved Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the Carousel of Progress! haha :rotfl2:

Your Epcot plan sounds great! Sum of All Thrills is fun, I hope you enjoy it!

a little late to the party, but i'm in for the rest of your PTR! your plans sound great so far! let's see if I can remember what I wanted to comment on......

I like ToT too, but the wait before creeps me out also. I guess that's what it's supposed to do, but it is hard for me to wait in line, especially when you see a cm skulking around the corner or something. i just try to appreciate how into their character they are and how good of a job they do at it. also....i look at all the kids around who aren't scared and scold myself that if they can do it, i can too! :rotfl:

your sugar skull shirt turned out fantastic! i would never have been able to do that! awesome job and perfect for wearing at epcot!

it is totally not weird to go to turtle talk without kids! besides, we're all kids when we get to Disney, right? :)

you're probably not worried about this anymore, but we did the magical express on our last trip for the first time and it was awesome!! we didn't have any problems and it was so nice to drop off our bags here and not worry about them again. we also didn't have to wait long for them. we checked in, looked around the resort for a bit (we were at ASMo), and were still looking around our room when they were dropped off.

and i just have to add....i love your dog! if my husband wasn't allergic, i would so adopt a greyhound. they are just amazing! the only reason we have a dog at all is because i had her before i met my DH and we only kept her because she's small and i vacuum A LOT. :rotfl:

anyway, all your plans sound awesome!!

a little late to the party, but i'm in for the rest of your PTR! your plans sound great so far! let's see if I can remember what I wanted to comment on......

I like ToT too, but the wait before creeps me out also. I guess that's what it's supposed to do, but it is hard for me to wait in line, especially when you see a cm skulking around the corner or something. i just try to appreciate how into their character they are and how good of a job they do at it. also....i look at all the kids around who aren't scared and scold myself that if they can do it, i can too! :rotfl:

your sugar skull shirt turned out fantastic! i would never have been able to do that! awesome job and perfect for wearing at epcot!

it is totally not weird to go to turtle talk without kids! besides, we're all kids when we get to Disney, right? :)

you're probably not worried about this anymore, but we did the magical express on our last trip for the first time and it was awesome!! we didn't have any problems and it was so nice to drop off our bags here and not worry about them again. we also didn't have to wait long for them. we checked in, looked around the resort for a bit (we were at ASMo), and were still looking around our room when they were dropped off.

and i just have to add....i love your dog! if my husband wasn't allergic, i would so adopt a greyhound. they are just amazing! the only reason we have a dog at all is because i had her before i met my DH and we only kept her because she's small and i vacuum A LOT. :rotfl:

anyway, all your plans sound awesome!!

Yay, I'm glad you joined in!

The last time DH talked me into going on a haunted hayride at Halloween (back when we first started dating, or else I never would have agreed! The things we do when love is young! ;) ) he told me that if you can manage to look the scary people in the face, they will usually leave you alone. They target the people who look scared. It was SO HARD, but he was right! Still didn't make me ever want to go back, but I'll have to remember that at ToT, and get some inspiration from all the kids braver than me!! :rotfl:

Thank you! I love that shirt.

And thank you for the reassurance about Turtle Talk! Now I just have to convince my DH that it won't be weird. I've not yet been able to convince him that adults do character meets without kids all the time, I'm hopeful that once we are there I can point out adults in line and he'll be convinced!

I have to say, our Magical Express vouchers came and I suddenly felt a whole lot better about it. They can't possibly miss those yellow tags, and I'm sure MCO knows what they are for as well. If our luggage is lost, it will be because the airline lost it, not ME.

Thank you! He's a great dog. We decided on a greyhound because despite their former profession, they are actually real couch potatoes, which sadly, is perfect for our lifestyle! :) He's a little more of a couch potato than even we would like, but he's a real sweetheart too. But surprisingly with his short coat, he sheds A LOT. I was surprised about that. What kind of dog do you have? You could consider a poodle if you wanted another dog, I think they are great for people with allergies, and also Portuguese water dogs. Share a picture! I love pet photos! :goodvibes

Hey y'all! Are you having a spooky Friday the 13th? I'm wishing we were going to MNSSHP today! Oh well. Only 48 days and 23 hours to go now!

Today's plan is going to be quick to write out, because I don't know what it's going to be! I know, right? It's actually not freaking me out at all to not have it planned because we have four full park days before this. And we've never had four full park days before. The most we've ever done is two. And even that was more like one and three-quarters, because we left at the end of day two.

We do have a similarity there for our current day six...today is our last day at WDW. :sad1:

We plan to decide what park we want to go to either the night before or that morning, once we've finished all the other parks, and we know what we feel like we must experience again! We have a park ticket for today, so we will definitely go to a park, just not sure which one. We were talking about it a few nights ago, and we have no idea what it will turn out to be! More F&W at Epcot? Getting in stuff we surely missed at MK? Re-riding all the awesome rides at HS? We are pretty sure we won't need a second day at is AK. I'm certain we will have a very full and fun AK day, but I don't think we will need to repeat it. But who knows! We've never been to AK or HS, so we could end up completely in love with AK, underwhelmed by HS and satisfied by MK and EP and decide to repeat AK. It could happen. I just don't think it likely, since we are both thrill ride people and I love MK so much. I think it will be either MK or HS.

No matter what park we go to, we need to leave by about three o'clock or so to get a shuttle to the Disney Car Care Center and pick up our rental car. I believe they close at five, and we CANNOT miss it, so that's why I've left so much time. Although, I've read that the Car Care Center itself will send a shuttle to pick you up from a park if you've rented a car, so maybe, since we'll have direct transport, we can get picked up at four instead. I plan to call once we are there and see what they recommend. We could also conceivably skip rope drop at whatever park we go to and pick up the car in the morning. However, I really don't want to be tempted to stay past five in the afternoon, because we are headed to my grandparents' house in Ormond Beach for the rest of our trip, and I don't want to arrive there too late. We're already going to have to battle rush hour traffic on I-4, and it's about an hour and 15 or 20 minutes without traffic. Maybe I should ask on the boards what time traffic on I-4 tends to clear out. If it's good by six-ish, it might make sense to hang out at the park a little longer and skip the traffic.

But anyway, that's the end of our longest WDW vacation yet. Sad face. But, the Disney depression should be staved off for awhile because I love getting to visit with my grandparents. Especially my grandpa. I love his wife too and consider her my grandmother at this point, but she is his fourth wife (he's a character!) and she just hasn't been around as long as he has been in my life. He's a WWII vet and a Prisoner of War survivor. He has the best stories, and he is just the most wonderful grandfather anyone could ever ask for. I take this trip to Florida every year because I want to spend as much time with him as I can while he's still healthy -- he turned 90 this year, and he's still going out golfing! As I said, he's amazing. There's no sign that we won't be headed to Florida next year as well, thank goodness!

I still have some ideas to fill in on this PTR, so don't go anywhere! I plan to share some of the tees I made for Disney, some must-do lists, F&W plans, and more! Have a magical weekend everyone! pixiedust:

Hey Girl!!! :wave2:

I am all caught up and I'm loving your plans! As far as ME we've never had any issues with it. The only thing was the first time we used it I didn't realize exactly how long it would take and I needed something in my suitcase. I talked with a cast member and she was able to get it even quicker but I learned to keep the "i need" items in my carry on :thumbsup2

I totally LOVE that Mickey as a sugar skull t-shirt! I love sugar skulls in general too but I need a shirt like that! you have to send me that image so I can make one too! :worship: You're very talented!

Looking forward to following along!

xoxo
Mrs Z

Hey Girl!!! :wave2:

I am all caught up and I'm loving your plans! As far as ME we've never had any issues with it. The only thing was the first time we used it I didn't realize exactly how long it would take and I needed something in my suitcase. I talked with a cast member and she was able to get it even quicker but I learned to keep the "i need" items in my carry on :thumbsup2

I totally LOVE that Mickey as a sugar skull t-shirt! I love sugar skulls in general too but I need a shirt like that! you have to send me that image so I can make one too! :worship: You're very talented!

Looking forward to following along!

xoxo
Mrs Z

Thank you!! Yes, I picked up that tip about ME here on the boards (I love this place!), and I've been keeping a list of stuff I should remember to pack in my carryon instead of my regular suitcase.

I would be happy to send you the image of the Mickey sugar skull! Private message me your email address and I'll send you a pdf. Thanks for joining in!

Hey there fellow DISers! All it takes is a quick glance at the Theme Parks board to know that I am not alone in my MB and FP+ anxiety. Usually this is not something I would worry about, but there are several things about this confusion that are making me nervous:
  1. We check-in on November 1, so the closer it gets, the more it's looking like we are going to have very little notice if we are going to receive MBs.
  2. Which makes me nervous that there won't be very many FP+ options left. October folks and anyone who visited earlier and received a MB and is returning in November are able to book FP+. I'm already seeing threads from October peeps that the options look picked over and there is not much left to choose from. :(
  3. No one, including CMs, have any idea if November will continue testing, or if it will be a full rollout. Several people have heard both from CMs. Many people have many different theories. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's testing. If we won't have regular FP available to us, AND FP+ is all picked over by the time we are able to pick options, I'm going to be super bummed out.

I had read in several places that October people were notified on August 20, so maybe tomorrow will be the day. I was finally able to complete my online check-in today, which I had been unable to do for awhile, so maybe that's a good sign that the system is updated and ready to be opened up for November check-ins. I really just want the waiting game to be over, either way! I just want to know what's going to be happening with the system while I'm there. I can deal with whatever the answer is, but I need to know the answer! Keep your fingers crossed for me and all the other November travelers that it comes soon. :goodvibes

We're here now, using the magic bands. When I booked our fp+ some things didn't have availability, but when we've been in the parks...we've had tons of options to switch. Sometimes you have to switch times 1st, then switch experiences. But we've switched a lot ... amd had options. Hipe it's the same on your trip ;)

They're great and although the crowds are low, we've used them a few times to ride things twice (using fastpass+ after we wait in a 5 minute "line")!

Hey there fellow DISers! All it takes is a quick glance at the Theme Parks board to know that I am not alone in my MB and FP+ anxiety. Usually this is not something I would worry about, but there are several things about this confusion that are making me nervous:
  1. We check-in on November 1, so the closer it gets, the more it's looking like we are going to have very little notice if we are going to receive MBs.
  2. Which makes me nervous that there won't be very many FP+ options left. October folks and anyone who visited earlier and received a MB and is returning in November are able to book FP+. I'm already seeing threads from October peeps that the options look picked over and there is not much left to choose from. :(
  3. No one, including CMs, have any idea if November will continue testing, or if it will be a full rollout. Several people have heard both from CMs. Many people have many different theories. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's testing. If we won't have regular FP available to us, AND FP+ is all picked over by the time we are able to pick options, I'm going to be super bummed out.

I had read in several places that October people were notified on August 20, so maybe tomorrow will be the day. I was finally able to complete my online check-in today, which I had been unable to do for awhile, so maybe that's a good sign that the system is updated and ready to be opened up for November check-ins. I really just want the waiting game to be over, either way! I just want to know what's going to be happening with the system while I'm there. I can deal with whatever the answer is, but I need to know the answer! Keep your fingers crossed for me and all the other November travelers that it comes soon. :goodvibes

I don't understand the whole MB thing. I'm so lost on this. (See what happens when you miss going to the world for just one year! :rolleyes:) I can see your reason for being worried though. I'd be interested to see what more knowledgeable DISers have to say.

I also am going to be sending you a PM for that sugar skull image! I am in love with it! :lovestruc Thank you so much!

The floodgates opened last night and it seems most people with November check-ins were able to customize their magic bands and reserve FP+, including us! YAY! As I tell my husband: worrying works. ;)

As soon as I saw the November thread blowing up, I went over to MDE to see what I could get. My worries that nothing would be left for early November (due to late October guests overlapping into November and having been able to book FP+ for a whole month already) were unfounded! And I was mostly pleased with the default times Disney gave me once I selected my attractions.

I chose times based on this strategy: We still plan to be at rope drop at all the parks. So for AK, HS and MK, I chose to use FP+ for the busier afternoons. At EP I went with morning times because we plan to be in the WS for F&W all afternoon.

Here's what I chose:

Animal Kingdom
Festival of the Lion King: 12:05-12:25 pm
Kilimanjaro Safaris: 1:30-2:30 pm
Expedition Everest: 3:20-4:20 pm

I think Safari and Everest will be second rides, as we definitely plan to be there in the morning, and I'm excited to not have to line up early for FOTLK, and I think that will be a good show time for us.

Hollywood Studios
Toy Story Midway Mania: 3:10-4:10 pm
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster: 5:10-6:10 pm
Fantasmic!: 6:25-6:45 pm

Same deal, hoping the two rides will be repeat rides, and very grateful to avoid the huge line for Fantasmic!.

Magic Kingdom
Enchanted Tales with Belle: 2:10-3:10 pm
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: 3:45-4:45 pm
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: 6:00-7:00 pm

I might try to push ETWB a little later if I can. We got the special invite FP reservation at BOG for 1:20 pm. I guess it will probably be fine, since we have an hour window to arrive to ETWB. I just don't want to feel rushed at BOG at all, I really want to be able to check it all out. And I'm really excited to have a plan to ride BTMR at night! We've never done that before.

Epcot
Soarin': 9:00-10:00 am
The Seas with Nemo & Friends: 10:35-11:35 am
Test Track: 11:35-12:35 pm

Epcot gave me the most trouble. I cannot get an earlier time for TT no matter what I do. And I don't think we really need a FP+ for Nemo, but it's the only other ride offered that we really want to ride. MS is a toss up for us, and SSE seems silly to get FP+ for. I'll have to do some more reading and think about this day. The only one I'm happy with right now is Soarin'.

And we'll have an opportunity to see how the mobile app works to make reservations on the fly, since we have no idea what park we'll be at for our last day. I did actually make all of these reservations on my phone, as of course I left my good laptop at work and my DH's is old and wasn't loading the website properly! It was super easy, so I hope it is easy to do once we are there!

Any suggestions for me for changes to my FP+? Obviously totally new at this, so I would welcome feedback from anyone who's had an opportunity to use it already!

We're here now, using the magic bands. When I booked our fp+ some things didn't have availability, but when we've been in the parks...we've had tons of options to switch. Sometimes you have to switch times 1st, then switch experiences. But we've switched a lot ... amd had options. Hipe it's the same on your trip ;)

They're great and although the crowds are low, we've used them a few times to ride things twice (using fastpass+ after we wait in a 5 minute "line")!

Thank you! You made me feel a lot better, and now obviously I feel great because we got the MBs and FP+! Good to know we'll be able to switch things up on the fly.

I don't understand the whole MB thing. I'm so lost on this. (See what happens when you miss going to the world for just one year! :rolleyes:) I can see your reason for being worried though. I'd be interested to see what more knowledgeable DISers have to say.

I also am going to be sending you a PM for that sugar skull image! I am in love with it! :lovestruc Thank you so much!

There are about a gazillion threads about it, if you have several months to devote to reading! :lmao: It really was super easy though. I think reading up on the basics helped me, but really the best thing about being on the boards when it came to MBs and FP+ was knowing it was finally available to me. I got zero notification from Disney!

I'm so glad everything worked out!!! I'm so excited for you!

FOTLK is something we always say we are going to do and then either miss it or see the line and say "NOPE!" same thing with fantasmic... I'm kind of liking this MB/FP+ thing. I can't wait to hear how it goes when you're there.

All caught up! I sure was late to the party!

That duck/castle picture is awesome!

The vacation so starts at the airport! We even enjoy our inevitable lay over, we treat ourself to a nice airport lunch and drinks.

We love magic express. After riding that your husband will understand Disney comes to you, and the vacation definitely starts at the airport.

My husband was worried about the luggage system but now he raves about it. We were impressed.

I followed easy wdw as found it to be very accurate. But I sill agonize over our schedule and my DH is like yours, he trust me completely and doesn't really want to eat all the nitty gritty details. I did a lot of agonizing over which days to travel etc I finally got DH in on the discussion and new spreadsheet was born, this time spearheaded by him.

Your sugar skill Mickey is amazing. I wish I had graphic skills like that. I have toyed with the idea of trying to make a Mickey with an eye patch (not the pirate kind) for my son to wear (he patches every other day for a full day) I have just enough computer skills that I may be able to pull off a simple one. Any easy to use programs you would recommend for that?

Disney planning is way more fun than wedding planning!

Hooray for the dessert party. DH hates crowds to so I am considering booking it. Please do a TR so I can see how it goes!

I am so glad you got your FP+ worked out. I can't wait to see that in action! I am already stressing about how that will change our touring strategy!

I enjoyed reading your pretrip tonight.:thumbsup2
FP+ looks interesting!:thumbsup2 I will be making mine this weekend when my group gets together.
Looking forward to reading morepopcorn::

Just caught up! :)

I'm glad your worries were put to rest and you were able to make FP+ selections that you are happy with!! :yay:

Thank you!

I'm so glad everything worked out!!! I'm so excited for you!

FOTLK is something we always say we are going to do and then either miss it or see the line and say "NOPE!" same thing with fantasmic... I'm kind of liking this MB/FP+ thing. I can't wait to hear how it goes when you're there.

That long line=skip the show situation is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid! Thanks for reenforcing that decision for me! :goodvibes

All caught up! I sure was late to the party!

That duck/castle picture is awesome!

The vacation so starts at the airport! We even enjoy our inevitable lay over, we treat ourself to a nice airport lunch and drinks.

We love magic express. After riding that your husband will understand Disney comes to you, and the vacation definitely starts at the airport.

My husband was worried about the luggage system but now he raves about it. We were impressed.

I followed easy wdw as found it to be very accurate. But I sill agonize over our schedule and my DH is like yours, he trust me completely and doesn't really want to eat all the nitty gritty details. I did a lot of agonizing over which days to travel etc I finally got DH in on the discussion and new spreadsheet was born, this time spearheaded by him.

Your sugar skill Mickey is amazing. I wish I had graphic skills like that. I have toyed with the idea of trying to make a Mickey with an eye patch (not the pirate kind) for my son to wear (he patches every other day for a full day) I have just enough computer skills that I may be able to pull off a simple one. Any easy to use programs you would recommend for that?

Disney planning is way more fun than wedding planning!

Hooray for the dessert party. DH hates crowds to so I am considering booking it. Please do a TR so I can see how it goes!

I am so glad you got your FP+ worked out. I can't wait to see that in action! I am already stressing about how that will change our touring strategy!

Yay, thanks for joining in! I will definitely do a TR, this has been fun! Also, look for a PM from me.

I enjoyed reading your pretrip tonight.:thumbsup2
FP+ looks interesting!:thumbsup2 I will be making mine this weekend when my group gets together.
Looking forward to reading morepopcorn::

Thanks for joining in! :wave2:

Good morning!

We are officially one month away from our trip! I have a feeling October is going to be the longest month ever. :rotfl:

We got our Mickey Mail a few days ago, and our Magic Bands should be shipping out tomorrow, so hopefully we will have them later this week or next week. I can't wait to see them in person!

Today I thought I'd share the rest of the shirts I made for our trip. I had only intended to make one or two shirts...and I got carried away!

I ended up with one for each park day:
img_1887_all-tees_better-2.jpg

You've seen the sugar skull Mickey, for Epcot. I plan to wear the animatronic hippo heart at Magic Kingdom, the Pocahontas necklace at Animal Kingdom, the Tangled shirt at Hollywood Studios (I know, there's nothing Tangled there, but I HAVE to wear my hippo shirt at MK!), and the Four Parks icons shirt on our bonus day.

I used iron-on transfers for all of these, and never having done iron-on transfers before, I bought one of the dual packs with sheets for both dark fabrics and light fabrics. I found I LOVED the sheets for dark fabrics. Easy to use, no need to reverse your image, and the graphics look crisp and professional. I ended up using them on all of my tees, even the white and yellow. I tried out a light fabric sheet on an extra tee I had, and I hated how it looked. The colors were just not so bright, and it looked faded and it felt kind of sticky. Did not like.

img_1873_gray.jpg

It's hard to tell in this photo, but this really was a light gray shirt. I would venture to say that the "light fabrics" transfers would only work on white fabrics, and even then they wouldn't look as bright and crisp as the dark fabrics transfers look.

The only thing to note about the dark fabric sheets is that whatever is left on the sheet will transfer onto your shirt. So before printing I put a colored border to match the shirt color around my graphics. This way, if I didn't trim them out perfectly, it wouldn't be so noticeable. It also worked nicely for keeping designs that had separate elements, like the Tangled sun, together, instead of having to trim out all of those little pieces and then arrange them perfectly before ironing.

img_1884_pocahontas_printed.jpg

Pocahontas necklace pre-trimming

img_1866_tangled_trimmed.jpg

Tangled elements trimmed out

And once it's ironed on, you can barely tell there was any extra there at all!
img_1869_tangled_detail.jpg

Isn't this adorable? The hippos are my favorite on Jungle Cruise, so when I saw this idea online, I knew it was perfect.
img_1893_hippo_better.jpg

But Pascal on my sleeve might be my favorite. He's so cute!
img_1892_tangled_better.jpg

I had also planned to do one of those tie-dye shirts with a Mickey head, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I haven't done tie-dye since I was 11 or so, and I'm finding the process intimidating as an adult! But if I get around to it, I will post it for you guys.

31 days to go! Happy October everyone! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter