• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking seasick pills at night?

Krissy22222

Mouseketeer
My mom gets seasick but is concerned with getting drowsy and missing out on the daytime fun of the cruise. Has anyone had luck taking meds such as Bonine at night and having the effectiveness last during the next day?

I don't have experience with those medicines, but in my own uneducated opinion ginger might be a good replacement. Whenever I've dealt with seasickness, a package of those little ginger candies can help a great deal.

I don't have experience with those medicines, but in my own uneducated opinion ginger might be a good replacement. Whenever I've dealt with seasickness, a package of those little ginger candies can help a great deal.
Seabands really work well for me !!!! I get really motion sick and I have never gotten sea sick on the cruise and I haven't ever take any meds .

I got some non drowsy seasick meds. Don't remember what it was but it was over the counter (actually I think I ordered from amazon). I think it was supposed to be taken every 12 hours too.

I only needed it the first day so didn't take it the whole trip.

My mom gets seasick but is concerned with getting drowsy and missing out on the daytime fun of the cruise. Has anyone had luck taking meds such as Bonine at night and having the effectiveness last during the next day?

I take Bonine at bedtime (starting the next before the cruise starts). It is a once a day pill and seems to work for the full 24 hours.

I also bring seabands as a backup. Only needed them the first day in addition to bonine.

That's exactly what I do. I start the night before we fly to the port and continue for a night or two after, until I get my "land legs" back.

Bonine is chewable and one tablet every 24 hrs...I have a teen who gets motion sick so we start it the night before travel and take it every night before bed during our trip. We found even the non drowsy Dramamine which has to be taken more often still caused drowsiness where the Bonine does not interfere with any daytime activities. We continue taking it for a few days after returning to get readjusted to land. Bonine has worked best for us!

I took one Bonnie at night, the whole cruise, starting one day ahead. We had rough seas a couple days, and on those days, I could feel the Bonnie wearing off about 21-22 hours after taking it. Also, I felt queasy enough to have to lay down for about 20-30 min those couple of days - middle of the day. Overall, it worked well for me, a motion-sickness prone person.

I did try Bonnie out before leaving on the cruise. I did put a priority on staying hydrated too (definitely helps overall), and I did bring a small pharmacy with me (it was a long cruise over some known rough seas), that included ginger caps, essential oil drops, sea bands, and patches. Thankfully, the Bonine worked better than expected and it was all I needed.

I found the ginger pills at Walmart on a side display in the pharmacy area. It was a hanging display devoted to various motion sickness meds. I think the essential oil drops (for behind the ear) were also on that display. I bought Bonnie at Walgreens, and they had a good variety of motion meds there, but not sure about the ginger (as I had already bought it).

I found the ginger pills at Walmart on a side display in the pharmacy area. It was a hanging display devoted to various motion sickness meds. I think the essential oil drops (for behind the ear) were also on that display. I bought Bonnie at Walgreens, and they had a good variety of motion meds there, but not sure about the ginger (as I had already bought it).

Thank you! I purchased Bonine but have always been hesitant to take it because I react badly to medications. This time around I would like to try the sea bands and also ginger pills. I think maybe I will also give the essential oils a try. Thanks for the info.

YES! take the pills at bed time. If not you are dragging your butt all day ;) I find my body adjusts to them after 2ish days. But it's 2 days of being dead tired.

On the rocky evenings I sometimes had to take the pills earlier, but was still able to stay up later.

FYI I take them because I get dizzy from the rocking, not sick to my stomach. I take bonine.

I get seasick 24/7. I take dramamine at night and nondrowsy dramamine during the day. Someone else mentioned there are all kinds of ginger candies, etc at World Market if you are in the states. I believe non-drowsy dramamine is Bonine though? Same ingredient I believe. Never take the off brand. I don't know why - it just isn't the same.

another vote for seabands..
actually many votes from my family..
seabands work for me as well as for DH, DD, DSIL, my sister, mom, etc

DD and i even use them on land - i haven't had to take motion sickness medicine for years (i had to take them on a daily basis for 15 years before i started using seabands)..

based on research, they work for about two thirds of the people who try them...
if they work for you, it's so much greater than having to take medicine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as for drowsiness from the medicine, even the non-drowsy formulas make some people drowsy...

i strongly suggest trying seabands...
i poohpoohed them for years, but once i finally tried them, they changed my life...

YES! I start the night before the cruise and take one each night and it works great. I sleep like a baby on cruises!!!!

Another vote for Bonine at night, half a pill. I have found I fall asleep on all "non-drowsy" medicine. I then use sea bands and take a ginger pill in the morning. On our last cruise I still felt a little ill the night of really rough seas and took a full pill that evening. I get really motion sick and did well using all of these! I wasn't taking any chances.

As you can see I'm a diver and have been on some pretty rough seas on tiny little boats. I take Bonine the night before we actually start the trip then every morning after, doesn't matter if we are going to have a beautiful calm day, I still take one. I never get sleepy or confused from them, which could be very dangerous 100 feet under water.

I was taking my Bonine before dinner. It is non drowsy, but I still get very tired on it. When I took it at bedtime, I was dragging in the morning. I found taking it around dinner time put me asleep through the dragging part.

Yes! My children and I each took a pill with dinner starting two nights before the cruise (they also get car sick and we drove down the day before). Worked great and my 15 year old still stayed up most nights until 2am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter