• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking our "souvenirs" on the trip...

And this is usually the argument on the budget board....

That being said, the definition is "something that serves as a reminder" and since my kids received it on their trip from their FG, then it does fit the definition of a souvenir since every time they see it, they are reminded of an awesome gift their FG left them.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't suggesting that I wouldn't buy anything at all at WDW. I was just looking for ideas that would "sweeten the pot" a bit. I mean, the glow stick thing is awesome. I'd rather pay $5 for 100 of them here than $10 for one there. Small things are worth taking just to make the experience a bit better. But we will certainly be purchasing the mouse ears on site! :)

If you buy it in advance, it's not a souvenir. It's just some stuff you bought, nothing else. The concept of a souvenir isn't really complicated.

That comment was not nice, and doesn't take into account that some families are on budgets, some want control over what is brought home, and some [like me] just don't want their kids to associate WDW with a "gimme, gimme, gimme" shopping spree at the exit of every ride.

In truth, this is what a souvenir is: a memento, keepsake, or token of remembrance.

I brought along a plush for each of my kids on our first trip. "Mickey" left one for each of them on their beds while we were at the park on our first day. It is a treasured souvenir, because for them it is the memory of coming back to the room and seeing a gift just for them.

We told them at the beginning of that trip that we would go to World of Disney on our last night and they could each pick out one item. Guess what? They picked out crap toys that were soon broken/lost.... but each of them still has the plush I bought ahead of time, and have taken them on every WDW trip since.

One our last trip, our oldest couldn't decide on his one item... nothing appealed to him. He asked if he could look online when he got home instead. He found something he wanted online, ordered it, and it absolutely is - for him - a souvenir of that trip. Doesn't matter one little bit that I didn't carry it home in a suitcase.

OP: Whatever works for your family, that's what you should do! :goodvibes:goodvibes

:wave2: Hi!

We travel to the park numerous times a year and learned pretty quickly that with 3 little ones (6,4,2) that the souvenirs can kill your budget! After a few trips that seemed like a free for all buying spree every time we walked into a store (by the end of the trip the kids had forgotten what they even bought) not to mention the how much it cost! I decided to try and plan better for later trips! So far we've found a few things that work well. Hope it helps!

We tried bringing some stuff from home and ultimately that tactic just really wasn't one that worked for us. We tried the glow sticks from the dollar store, but the kids being kids wanted Mickey ones. We also bought quite a bit of "junk" from Walmart and Target as little souvenirs but they grew bored of them really fast and it just ended up taking up room in our suite cases. However! There are things we do bring from home. For example, we are going to SWW in a few days and we'll be taking an Ahsoka costume as a surprise for my 6 year old sister since they don't sell them in the parks and she really wants one.

What we did find that worked GREAT:

Depending on how long you're going to be there. Set a budget for each day and allow the kids to shop at the end of the day before heading back to the hotel. This works great for us! When we walk through stores and the kids start with their "I WANT THAT!" I calmly say "What a great choice! We'll come get it at the end of the day if you still want it." It also helps to figure out what they really want and will play with.

Pin trading has also been a huge success for us and makes for awesome souvenirs. The 6 year old spends all day looking for pins on cast members and once you have a lanyard built up for trading, it's fairly cheap. You can also get pins on ebay and such.

Hope this helps and that you all have a great trip!

Great question!!! I bought small Dumbo plush toys from the Disney store at home along with a vintage It's A Small World book from a flea market and princess pajamas from Disney online. The kids loved finding some special gifts for them in the room ---especially ones that reminded them of the special rides earlier that day. But the BEST idea we had was to bring Disney gift cards with us loaded with $25 each. The "princesses" delivered them to our room the first night. That was their spending money. Each child purchased two special items in the parks and knew when their money was gone, that was it! It worked like a charm! No having to say "no" to anything! Oh, and we purchased each child an autograph book and special pen, which has become a tradition. That kept them very busy and happy adding to their souvenir everyday!

Walgreens also has several disney things. Yesterday I bought Minnie nail art on clearance for $1.49. Walmart has t-shirts w/disney themes plus stickers, toothpaste, band-aids & lots of other disney themed items. Joann's has lots of things in their dollar spot. Dollar tree has markers, stickers, bendable figures, goggles & so many other things. Kroger has $15 disney gift cards sold in 3 pack. Once you start looking around you'll be amazed at how much is out there. Taking my 4 grandchildren (11-18) in June. They have never been and I know all these "silly" things will add to their memories.

I second the post about telling the kid we'll come back and get it. We say we'll look at everything and choose what we want at the end of the trip. But last time, on our second morning, our son woke up and all he could talk about was when could he get the Buzz Lightyear shooter he saw the day before. He was very anxious that it might be sold and he wouldn't get it. So we knew he really liked that, and we went back and bought it that morning. And he was happy. :) It was actually kind of funny - reminded me of when I might see say a pair of shoes I like at TJ Maxx but I don't get them, and then I sleep on it and decide to go back and buy them, but they're gone. No matter your age, that is disappointing! LOL

I know that people have budgets to consider and Disney is definitely expensive, but I think there's a cache to bringing home something from the parks that you can't get anywhere else. Even if it's inexpensive, it's special.

great feedback, everyone. I like the idea of GC. Actually, my girls have already received some for their birthdays from family members who know we are going. Definitely going to continue to add to that as my girls are "my girls" - they like to shop! Although, having the fairy Godmother bring them something special while we are out sounds fun, too! And we are definitely doing the pin thing. they are really excited for that.

Thanks for the suggestions! I love the idea for toiletries, band aids, etc. We have to take that stuff anyway so why not make it fun?!?

As a mom of 4 kids, the in-park trinkets sure do add up to a lot of $$$. I'm a fan of shopping ahead of time at Disney store outlet stores (and regular Disney store sale items), Target, Dollar Store and even my local Walmart has a lot of cute Disney items at really decent prices. I actually got myself a really cute Tink shirt to wear on my upcoming trip for just $5!

But, I'm also into "recycling". We've managed to take really good care of the Disney items we paid full-price for in the parks and bring them back with us on our trips to use them again. So, even if you do pay a hefty price for a light-up Mickey light saber, a Disney water mister, or a light-up Tink pin on impulse (like we did!), don't sweat it. Just bring it with you next time and it's worth every penny. Same goes for the Disney rain ponchos. We bought a bunch on our first trip in 1999, and they have come back with us on every trip since then - since most trips you use them maybe once, they still look like new!!

One year I created " buckets " for my daughter and neice once we arrived at our disney resort . I bought the tin buckets around Easter that had the princesses on them - then I filled them with Barbie princess dolls , disney beach towel , new swimsuit, glow bracelets , autograph disney books and pens , and a new lanyard and pins. ( I got the autograph books , lanyards and pins on eBay) Since we drive to disney - I also stop at the disney outlet in Mississippi and buy stuffed animals before we get to the parks . Usually when we get to the parks the only things we but are tshirts , ornaments , etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter