Taking Laptops into MCO

Camac

Mouseketeer
Recently there was talk on the Boards about the US immigration officers being able to confiscate your laptop for examination and in some cases deleting all the files, pictures etc.

I know some Disers have taken their laptops to Orlando, has anyone experienced any problems at immigration?

Thanks

We take 2 laptops 4 times a year. Never a problem. They have more to do than be bothered with the average families laptop. Will be taking 3 at Xmas as I just got myself a notebook this weekend.
If you are a single traveller or there is any reason for you to be flagged up on their system as a threat then yes, they might dig deeper.
They can question you and have the right to look at everything on your laptop. If you are all above board there is no reason to worry.

I came out with my laptop 10 days ago. No one asked to have a look at it at all. No problems for me.

I have not had any problems in the numerous times I have taken a laptop into the US. On my most recent occasion, just under 4 weeks ago, all our luggage was screened at customs and nobody asked me to take anything out of its bag.

We have never had any problems going into MCO, although once when we were leaving I was taken to one side and asked to switch my laptop on. This was actually in the tunnel leading up to the aircraft doors.
I wasn't the only one on this occassion. A number of us got singled out for some reason.

There were new powers made available to the US customs earlier this year.
They don't just apply to laptops but phones,cameras, PDAs, memory sticks etc.

However as Wayne says for the normal tourist there is no real issues.

However don't dismiss it completely, my company security people no longer permit me to take company laptops into the US anymore, but that's for commercial reasons.

A couple of links if you want more info but there is no need for any real concern for the normal traveller.

US customs.

US immigration

Many thanks for your replies.

I felt sure that if immigration were taking a heavy hand it would have been reported on the Boards but just wanted a little peace of mind from those who have had a recent experience before I take our laptop at Christmas.

Caron

We've taken ours the last 4 years and never had a problem. You need your laptop inacase you need to post breaking news on here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter