Taking Kids out of School

dixiedizfan

DIS Veteran
We can't stand heat or crowds, so have taken the kids out of school for our past Disney trips, which always worked out fine (and never affected their grades). But now they're both in high school, where every grade counts. We have a trip planned for the second week of March, which will be a 3-1/2 day school week (end of term). It's the best week I could think of to go, regarding the weather and missed days of school. I'm still having some doubts, but don't want to postpone Disney until they've graduated ... anyone else feel guilty or have any trouble with doing this?

We just took our high school freshman out of school for 3.5 days to go to WDW. He told all of his teachers about a week ahead of time that he was going to be gone, and for how long, to just give them a heads up. He told them again two days prior, and only one of them gave him any assignments before leaving. When he got back, he gets as many days to make up the work as he was gone, so since we were gone 3 days he got three extra days to make up the work. Maybe that is the case with your students? I think it also depends on how good of students they are...if they are on top of things, well organized, have good study habits, etc....I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I think it is fine to take them out for 3.5 days. I also understand your concerns since they are in high school. Since it is the end of their term would that be a time when teachers are giving tests? We are taking our 4th graders out for 6 days, but scheduled our trip around the state tests.

We have taken our kids out of school twice for Disney trips. I dont feel guilty at all. DD is in 10th grade this year and she will miss the week after Thanksgiving to go. DS10 and DD7 will miss 1st and 5th grade for a week. The kids are great about making up the work. I just hope to get most of it for oldest DD as she is in public school this year and the other two are in a small private Christian school where there was never an issue. We have already let all teachers know. Family time is very important. You cant put lives on hold because of school. I agree, we dont want to go when it is burning up hot or too crowded to enjoy the VERY expensive vacation. We pull them out and make up all the work. Good Luck!!

I know this "debate" comes up a lot around here - and I'm taking my 3rd grader out, I told her teacher at the beginning of school, no problems, no worries... then dd got put into the "upper" math and reading group - THAT teacher is giving me MAJOR attitude!! and we're talking 3 days!! for a THIRD GRADER - and btw, I am a teacher - like I messaged the principal, dont judge me, until you've walked a mile in my shoes - life is too short!!

This teacher wants dd to do the "makeup" work BEFORE we leave, and oh yeah, the teacher is absent the day after she left that message on my answering machine!! :rotfl: (dd thought the teacher took 2 days of "personal leave"!! :rotfl: )

how to you spell se la vious? :confused3

This is why Year round school is soo great. We traveled all over when we were kids because we had 9 weeks of school, and then 3 weeks off. Then you get a 5 week summer vacation. Keeps the kids from getting in that summer slump at the start of the new school year.

DD is 6 now, and we've taken her out every year since she was 3 (we normally like to go in the fall). This year, though, she's in a new school (1st grade) and DH was concerned with her missing a whole week of school since she's new there. Once he realized how difficult/crowded and/or hot it would be in WDW during any of her time off, he started to re-think his position on taking her out of school! So, we're compromising by going in May when the weather will be nice, crowds are not so bad, and she'll only be missing 3 days. I haven't broken it to him yet that I'm planning on us going back in November 2007, even if DD misses a whole week - I just love the weather and the F&WF!

Must...do...Disney...every...year!!! :earsgirl: :love:

eeyore45 said:
how to you spell se la vious? :confused3

C'est la vie!! ;)

I have taken my boys out of preschool and private kindergarten with no problem at all...after all I am paying for it, and they don't have the constraints put out there like public schools do. But last year was the first year in public school for DS6(at the time)-first grade. Apparantly, the observation of the rules for No Child Left Behind can be interpreted however that school district wants, and we were in a strict one. I got a "tsk tsk" look when I told the school office, and was informed that it would be two of the 10 unexcused absences he was allowed. The rule allowed two days unexcused in a row, any more and we would have to interview with DSS!!! (boy talk about going overboard), and his teacher gave me the same attitude. He did fine, and got straight A's the rest of the year, so I don't know what he missed...he wasn't given any extra homework to make up. This year both DS5 (kindergarten) and DS7 are in a new public school in a different state. It is a magnet school, and has even stricter policies-they are allowed 5 days unexcused absences...I haven't spoken to his teacher yet, her attitude will probably determine whether I take him out for 1 or 2 days. Actually, I am afraid to take him out for more, he is very smart, but I don't want him to struggle if he missed something. I wouldn't even consider taking him out for more than 2 days at the most...Not judging those who do-you know your child better than anyone-including the school system..

I was told by a public school teacher last year that the main reason for these strict policies is that there are some parents out there who would wake up on a school day, and just decide to go back to bed rather than get their child off to school....it seems like the parents who are truly concerned about their child's education have gotten caught up in this mess by also having to adhere such strict requirements.

but really, when you think about it, why would a child need to have more than 5 UNexcused absences from school??(This doesn't include illness, death in family, REAL excuses.....)

Right now, I am planning a long weekend the first week of December, with DS7 and DS5 missing one day of school. If we take 2 days from school, we can build in a day of rest. I don't need it (I am hyped from the moment I set foot on resort property!), but DH will complain if we don't. And the older the boys get, the more reluctant I will be to take them out of school. I can't imaging taking a HS student out for a whole week. But of course, that is entirely up to the student and the family. Funny, my DSIL was mentioning taking her DD15 (at the time) out for a trip, and the DD said she couldn't do it. I thought that was very mature of her.... ;)

We're taking our DD7 and DD5 out of school for two weeks in mid-January. We debated and debated about trying to go during traditional school vacation times, but after reading about the summer / holiday crowd levels and hearing horror stories about the same from some friends, we decided to avoid those times. On the first day of school, we notified both of their teachers about our Disney trip plans. They appreciated the advance notice, and have both mentioned that they can create some type of take-along homework for our girls. We've also told the girls that any work missed that can't be done on the vacation has to be made up afterwards. I think a little pre-planning between family and teacher(s) can alleviate any problems with being away from school for a much-needed family vacation.

I have no problem with people taking their children out of school for Disney. That said, what grades are yours in?

If it's the end of term, you REALLY need to make sure they're not going to have their finals that week. I know when I was in HS, you had to be very sick to be allowed to make those up.

Also, if one's a senior, keep in mind they may have activities planned for that last week.

I don't mean to be a damper, I really don't. HS wasn't that long ago for me, and I remember how strict the school was on missing finals.

Have fun when you go!

Thanks MollyMeow for the advice. But we're going the end of the third grading period, not the last. We've gone that same week in the past with no problem. If I remember correctly, all tests were taken and projects were due the week prior to us leaving. Hope this will still be the case ...

eeyore45 said:
I know this "debate" comes up a lot around here - and I'm taking my 3rd grader out, I told her teacher at the beginning of school, no problems, no worries... then dd got put into the "upper" math and reading group - THAT teacher is giving me MAJOR attitude!! and we're talking 3 days!! for a THIRD GRADER - and btw, I am a teacher - like I messaged the principal, dont judge me, until you've walked a mile in my shoes - life is too short!!

This teacher wants dd to do the "makeup" work BEFORE we leave, and oh yeah, the teacher is absent the day after she left that message on my answering machine!! :rotfl: (dd thought the teacher took 2 days of "personal leave"!! :rotfl: )

Well, aside from that the teacher already knows the lessons and didn't miss out on anything by taking two days of personal leave (which could easily have been for minor surgery or other personal reasons), what's your objection to your daughter going on vacation without having to worry about catching up to the class when she gets back? Her teacher's willing to have the work ready for her in advance, I don't see the problem with your daughter completing it in advance. Am I missing something?

I just took my daughter out of school for 4 days. I told her teacher on the first day of school, she got all her work together and she did some on the plane ride there, some while at the hotel and then some on the plane ride back. And she told us to make sure we got to Innoventions to have our picture taken and send her an email, lol. Next year we are planning the week before labor day. I have one child in HS and I don't want him to miss any school, so we'll go before school starts.

Oh boy is this thread getting my ire up, and it has nothing to do with people choosing to take their kids out of school or not.

Parents should be free to choose what is best for their child, and act accordingly. Too often we lose site of the fact that we are consumers of education. Whether paying tuition or taxes, we are paying schools to provide us a service - to teach our children. They exist to serve us.

So when a parent asks a teacher for make-up work in advance (with reasonable warning, of course), who is the teacher to decide what the parent can and can not do? That is pretty nervy! It is up to the parent and student to decide what the student can handle, and be willing to take a bad grade if it is earned (as opposed to just being used as a penalty for missing school).

Further, regarding the poster who had the school's warning of "unexcused" absences; Who in the world granted the school the authority to decide what is an acceptable or unacceptable absence? If I choose to take my kids out of school for a trip to attend to family business, why is okay to go on a trip out of town for grandpa's funeral, but not a family reunion at WDW?

We are handing waaayyyyy too much authority over to our schools.

Okay, I'll put the soapbox away now :flower: .

Dixiedizfan - I'm glad to see that. The school I went to only had 2 grading periods. I didn't know there were schools with more. :)

I hope you have a blast! The school will find a way to deal without having your children there for 3 1/2 days.

I am in highschool and I have gotten out for WDW vacations before. I think its fine as long as you arent obligated to do all the work you missed while on vacation (because we all know that is impossible!) If I were you, I wouldnt make a big deal of going on vacation so the teachers dont make them do all the work while thier gone! You will have a much better time if you dont think about the make up work while your there! I made it all up when I got back and was fine. Go for it! Have a blast!

If you think that they can handle making up the work then go ahead. It is a personal discision but try not to effect school work if you can :) It will be fine. I did all of my makeup work on the three hour plane ride there and back!

I don't think you should feel guilty about it at all, I used to teach high school, and I had kids out to go to Disney all of the time, without any problems-- don't worry about it. We've made the decision not to take my 5yo out of school anymore to go, because he really doesn't like missing school-- he loves it, and he misses enough due to his asthma in the winter. Plus we go every year, and try to go for 10 days-- so he'd really miss too many days. My parents always took me in the summer, and I always loved it because I didn't know any better. So, I'm not too worried about our being there in July. But, if the situation was different, and he didn't mind being out of school, and he wasn't sick so much (my two boys are literally sick all winter-- it's awful), I would definitely do it. We're going to try and deal with the heat and the crowds in July. But, if you're child won't mind, and getting caught up isn't a big deal then enjoy yourselves!!!!!!!!

I have taken my kids out from school for several years. The only time I have a problem is our Pre K 4 teacher. My youngest is in pre k 4( and the last), and always has a comment about what a shame because your child will miss this activity. She is a wonderful teacher but I know come Tuesday I will hear how what a pity my son will miss the pumpkin picking trip. It is a shame but he will be in Disney!!!My older dd ( 1st and 3rd grades) have had no problems with their teachers.

My kids are missing a week of school in November, and we also made this decision because of crowd levels and so on. I have a pre-schooler, two third graders, and an eighth grader.
The principal of the middle school has told me that the only way my child's absences will be excused is if she keeps a journal while we are gone. It has to be about what she is learning. The principal gave examples of the different terrains in the states (we're driving), cultures she encounters, and the educational stuff at Disney. I thought that was a neat idea.

I also work in the school system, and had to get my time off approved by the local school board. It was ok'ed...but without pay....which was fine with me. I'll do anything for Disney! :)

Another interesting note is that my husband is in college working on a bachelor's degree. The university he is attending has a policy that he can only miss two classes (night school that meets one night per week). Now, THIS really annoys me because we really are PAYING for this. If he misses every night but exam night and makes an "A" that should be ok.
This was also the policy of the college that I received my B.S. degree at.
I wonder why this shift in procedure has occured.
Anyway, we are saving up his nights so he can miss for our trip.

41 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter