Taking kids out of School?

I agree, as long as there has not been an attendance problem we have been able to take our kids out of school for a week for Disney through middle school. As soon as the DD hit ninth grade, it became impossible without missing too much work, possibly losing credit, holding up the rest of the class (because it was not for an illness). Enjoy it now while you can for the next couple of years, your kids will remember it for a lifetime!:grouphug:

I have taken DD out in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades for a week, and we haven't had any problems at all. It helped, I think, that her 2nd and 3rd grade teachers are Disney nuts themselves, and we always bring back a nice gift. ;) Our school district "discourages vacations during the school year", but if you give 2 weeks' notice, it's approved.

I was hoping to take DD out one more time for 4th grade, but she decided she doesn't want to miss a week of school anymore. She is pretty concientious and feels like she might be disappointing her teacher (even though she's never had problems, as far as I know). Fair enough, I gotta respect that! But she did agree to 3 days, so we'll take a Thursday to Tuesday trip this year!

Best of luck, I wouldn't hesitate to do this with 4 and 6 year olds! ;)

I can see very early elementary grades, but not beyond that. Our schools give kids a ZERO for any tests or worked missed because of an unexcused absence.
Unfortunately they don't consider WDW an excused absence. Maybe we could a excuse from Mickey!

I have pulled my kids every year except this year I can't. My oldest has too many days out for sickness. My girls are in 10th and 2nd grade and I also pulled my son every year when he was in school. All my kids are straight A students so the teachers didn't mind as long as the work was made up and it always was. I think it depends on the individual child and how they do in school. Good luck and have fun!!!!!

So, what are the opinions out there on doing this? We have done this in the past but want to know the thoughts out there. Do teachers like this? We have a 6 and 4 year old and would like to keep doing this to avoid higher costs and crowded times!

Please let me know your thoughts!

How long before they shut this thread down?popcorn::

So its fair to say that you put cost and crowd level above your kids education?

Our school district has a tough policy though. You have to fill out a form and have it approved by the teacher and princepal. If you miss more than 12 days a school year you are reffered to social services and you have to meet with the social worker. :headache: Not fun.

Wow, that does seem tough!

I'm taking my kids out of school-well, one of them; my son is preschool age. My daughter is in Grade One. For us it's not about costs or crowds (in fact we're going during a week that is both MORE expensive and more crowded than the week of my daughter's school break would be). For us the issue is that I can't get the time off work during our school break, but we do need a vacation. I'm also pretty confident that my daughter's education will not be unduly threatened by one week off school. Last year our school board cancelled school ELEVEN times due to snow, when frankly it wasn't even that snowy, so I'm assuming they think kids can cope with that much time off. I'll certainly speak with the teacher beforehand and see if she wants to send homework.

Hmmm, well with a comment like that, it probably won't be long. :confused3

We have taken our children out of school numerous times. Our children (DD18 & DS13) are excellent students (DS13 skipped 6th grade) and have never had a problem. We have always been truthful with the teachers and principals and they have always been understanding.

That being said, DS13 is not going on our upcoming trip for ESPN the Weekend because he current classes are a little more demanding and he doesn't want to miss class. So, we have arranged for him to stay with his grandparents so he doesn't miss class.

Bottom line, do whatever you feel comfortable doing and don't let others make you feel bad either way. :thumbsup2

In nearly 10 years of perusing the disboards, this topic is most enjoyable to "watch." :surfweb:

Alas, I cannot offer an opinion or advice, but only 3 little words that work for us: Year Round Schools.

Between 3 weeks in September, the entire month of December*, and 3 weeks in March, we have avoided the controversy.

**3 weeks of track out and 2 weeks that everyone gets out for Christmas = no school in December. Ever. Seriously. Ever.

You know...I didn't expect to see this on a friendly board like DIS. My kids education is very important but if we are diligent and the work is completed or we can teach our kids in lieu of being in the classroom, then why not go when it is more enjoyable at WDW? I am talking up until MS or HS...

We value education here and would not want to have our sons at a disadvantage but we also want to go on vacation and show them important family time.

The Best advice I can give is do what YOU feel is best for YOUR kids.
Don't worry about what others say or think, because quite frankly, its not their children.

Wow - there wasn't a single uncivil remark until this one, ironically posted by someone wondering when the thread would be closed.

yup. thats why I dont ask opinions on things like that from strangers.. close friends and family only.

In nearly 10 years of perusing the disboards, this topic is most enjoyable to "watch." :surfweb:

Alas, I cannot offer an opinion or advice, but only 3 little words that work for us: Year Round Schools.

Between 3 weeks in September, the entire month of December*, and 3 weeks in March, we have avoided the controversy.

**3 weeks of track out and 2 weeks that everyone gets out for Christmas = no school in December. Ever. Seriously. Ever.

I won't take the bait and respond to the ridiculous. :rolleyes: But THIS post is worth responding to!!! WOW!! I SOOO wish our school system would go this route! It's difficult and expensive to plan for what my kiddo will do during the summers when her dad and I both work. And let's face it -- most families these days no longer need the kids to stay home and help with the harvest in the summer. My DD would probably not appreciate my posting this, but I say BRING ON YEAR ROUND SCHOOL!!!!

We are going in April, the week after spring break. Our kids are 8, 6 and 4. Dh has already talked to their teachers, and they were fine with it. Our 8 year old's teacher (3rd grade) even said she would make sure our daughter had her work ahead of time so she could do it during spring break and not get behind.

I told dh I had no problem with doing this as long as the kids were doing well in school and can keep up. So far, no problem.

We leave next week and are taking our four kids out for 5 days. We've done it before with no problems and the past two years we homeschooled, so the teacher came with us. At some point we may have to reassess, but for now it works for us. And when it no longer works for us, we'll stop and make sure we don't judge the other families for whom it continues to work.

lololololol..........

So, you are concerned about a thread getting shut down, huh? So much so, you thought it would be wise to make a comment to help it in that direction?

These threads are fine (can be) until someone sees fit to help it go the wrong way. If the discussion stays civil, there will be no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter