Taking first timers to WDW...what must we do??

Fairydust.Indy

Earning My Ears
We have been taking our family to WDW for several years...so we know what we like. This year we are sooo lucky to be going with our best friends, who have never been before. They are leaving it all to me to plan...which is great. I love that. We are staying at the YC, for 6 days in May. Two five year old girls...and us parents, who are really just big fun kids at heart. As the time is getting closer, I have our agenda pretty well planned. But I am getting worried that I am missing something that I don't even know! What is the one thing I should make sure we do with our best friends in DW?? We feel so lucky just to be able to be there with them....Can't wait! Thanks for your opinions and input!!:banana:

We have been taking our family to WDW for several years...so we know what we like. This year we are sooo lucky to be going with our best friends, who have never been before. They are leaving it all to me to plan...which is great. I love that. We are staying at the YC, for 6 days in May. Two five year old girls...and us parents, who are really just big fun kids at heart. As the time is getting closer, I have our agenda pretty well planned. But I am getting worried that I am missing something that I don't even know! What is the one thing I should make sure we do with our best friends in DW?? We feel so lucky just to be able to be there with them....Can't wait! Thanks for your opinions and input!!:banana:

I'll go in a slightly different way on this.

I caution you to not expect every person you take to "your parks" (hey, they're MY parks!) and to be as enthralled and captivated as pure "Disney-lovers" have come to enjoy them.

Don't try to go too fast, see "everything," or over-sell the things you love to do.
(Man, do I know how HARD that can be!!)

Remember, that since YOU have taken on the responsibility of EVERYONE ELSES' enjoyment of the trip... that can be a little daunting (and deflating) if EVERYONE does not fully enjoy every little "plan" you've taken the trouble to make.

Sidebar:
I'll NEVER forget the trip I jumped through the "hoops" of booking an 'IllumiNations Cruise' for our group, and in "honor" of one of our member's birthday. We all talked it up for a month or so in advance... it was going to be GREAT! Then, on the NIGHT of the cruise, the person whose birthday it was... decided he and his wife were a bit tired and decided to NOT GO WITH US!!!!!!!!!! (OK, enough exclamation marks. I did say, that I'll just never forget this.)
But the rest of us DID go, of course, and had a BLAST... but the "decliners" just did not GET the "whole deal" that is WDW magic to so many of us.

I think you've got the drift of my message.
If your buds don't quite "get it" don't "sweat it" (wow, I'll make a shirt!)

But if they DO love it (I hope they DO) then they'll likely want to join you AGAIN and you can find any little "nuggets" you might have missed on the first go-round.

Happy trip to all!

Robo: I know exactly what you are saying! The closer we get, the more excited we are to "turn them on" so to speak, to the Disney fun! And I am worried that "our disney" will not be as enchanting to them as I am hoping! Thus the reason for my post! What is the one thing you would want to show a new family?

Robo: I know exactly what you are saying! The closer we get, the more excited we are to "turn them on" so to speak, to the Disney fun! And I am worried that "our disney" will not be as enchanting to them as I am hoping! Thus the reason for my post! What is the one thing you would want to show a new family?

Festival of the Lion King
Mickey's Philharmagic
Fantasmic!
IllumiNations
Wishes
Spectromagic

I'll stop, but YOU know what I mean.
The things that you've never seen before... except at Disney.

Fantasmic - if that doesn't impress them and get them in the Disney mood, nothing will. Though honestly, walking into the MK and seeing the castle down at the end of Main Street should be enough for anyone!

What about the little things, like ordering special name tags for the girls, so the cast members know their names?

Don't forget to ride the monrail.
Have a character dining experience.
Enjoy a nice walk down mainstreet when you come in and also enjoy the sights of Tomorrowland at night.
WISHES!! from in front of the castle.

I caution the OP to "plan everything". I wouldn't do it. If something goes south during the trip, you will be blamed (even if not to your face, but behind your back).

I would lay out 2 or 3 trip plans and let the other party choose which one they would like to do. This way, they have a say into it and feel ownership of the fun time.

My family and I are going to WDW and with 2 other families later this year. My family knows WDW and I am a planner. But, I don't plan for the other families. I do tell them all the options, tell them the tricks and notes that I know, and basically give them all the info that I am using for the planning. I tell them what OUR plan is. But it is up to them to plan their own families vacation. I suggest that they can use our family's plan or modify it, but it may not be for their taste (since we have been there before). If they have questions, I will answer. I push them to make ADRs, give them pointers ,etc etc etc telling them the pros and cons of things.

BUT, the key thing is to let them have ownership of their own family's vacation planning.

It would save your friendship in the long run.

Lucinia: Thank you for the advice. I have pretty much done that. I have made all the ADR's. But have let them know they are in know way required to do what we do. With 2 little ones, I have have told them it will not be surprising if they want to do different things at different times. My DD loves the autograph collection thing for example, and the other may not be into that. So I am trying to help with the guidance, but not setting unreasonable expectations. But I am still so excited for our two girls to be there together! WE have done the Dumbo or Die tour (so to speak) several times. So we can be flexible too. Just want to make sure they don't miss out on any first time opportunities!!

Don't forget to pick up "First Visit" buttons at any of the park's Guest Relations. If any of your group is having a birthday or anniversary during your stay, Disney has buttons for those as well. These buttons will help CMs interact with your group.

Festival of the Lion King
Mickey's Philharmagic
Fantasmic!
IllumiNations
Wishes
Spectromagic

I'll stop, but YOU know what I mean.
The things that you've never seen before... except at Disney.

I'll second that.

The rides are great, but I think the shows are what really showcase the Disney magic and leave the most lasting memories.

We brought my mom and 14 yr old sister on our second trip. Even though it was only our second trip, I already felt like an expert because of the hundreds of hours I had spent on the DIS and TGM. So I planned everything for our trip. I tried to get as much input from my mom and sis as possible, but every time I asked them what they wanted to do, they said they didn't care. It was a little frustrating because I wanted them to have a good time and I wanted to do things they wanted to do. But then I realized that the reason they weren't giving any opinions was just because they didn't know ANYTHING about WDW. So if your friends seem unwilling to give input, it's probably just because they don't know what they want to do.

Get your fellow vacationers involved in the planning. Email them restaurant menus and reviews and descriptions of shows and fireworks. A lot of times if they read it for themselves they'll be more excited about it and can give you opinions of if they would like it or not.

Get your fellow vacationers involved in the planning. Email them restaurant menus and reviews and descriptions of shows and fireworks. A lot of times if they read it for themselves they'll be more excited about it and can give you opinions of if they would like it or not.

I agree with this.. :thumbsup2

Let them choose some things so they will get into it... For one it relieves some of the burden off of you ( I personally wouldn't ask my friend to plan ALL of my vacation if I was going to go with..It's more courtious to my friend to want to help pick stuff..but that's just me).. And like the above poster says, it gets them more exited and involved.

I would agree with this also. I am planning a trip with my parents, sister, and brother (Their families included). They haven't been there for over 20 years. I found that if there is some information shown to them they tend to get a little more excited and the anticipation really starts to build quickly. One other thing, they may also want to venture out on their own during the visit also.

When is the best time to go to avoid crowds at WDW. I am planning a trip for next year. We just went to Anaheim and it was a great time of year. Any suggestions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter