Taking family in 19 days; BAD juju!

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
We're heading to VWL in 19 days for a trip that's been in the making for over a year.

In the last 3 months, we've had a ton of bad circumstances occur and I'm worrying about how our trip is going to go down.

1. 3 family members have had to drop out completely due to a premature birth that created some health problems for that little punkin......

2. SIL and BIL went forward with planning, even though BIL has been out of a job. No one dreamed he'd be unemployed for over a year. Now that crunch time is here, they're fretting about $$. Can't say I blame them.

3. MIL and FIL have both been battling heel spurs and herniated discs, respectively and we're very concerned about their mobility. We're investigating the possibility of renting ECV's although my FIL's pride might get the best of him.

I just hope and pray that everyone can let go of their troubles and have a good time. DH, DS and I have all been multiple times and are not concerned with missing anything so we are willing to go as slow as everyone wants. It will be DD's first trip but she's 16 months so it won't be like she's missing too much.

Our party is also willing to split up and allow folks to rest, etc....

Not sure what I'm looking for a response to; just a general vent about my hopes that this trip goes smoothly and everyone has fun. DH and I have done all the planning, which we love and don't mind. Everyone agrees that that's been the biggest life saver of all but still.......

Tell me it'll all be ok! :rolleyes:

So sorry your family is going through so much :grouphug:

If they are able to make it, just take it slow and bask in the Christmas cheer.:santa:

I can relate to 2 of your 3 items. I have been unemployed for 25 months and I also have mobility problems due to arthritic knees. Disney is our break away from reality.

We are DVC members so the lodging is taken care of. While unemployed, we are trying to not spend quite as much on food as we usually do on Disney trips. But we still go. Your SIL and BIL probably can use the break for some enjoyable family time.

Also, I try to walk but when I can't, I rent an ECV. They aren't horrible, but I prefer walking. If the choice is ECV or not going at all, I use the scooter. Encourage your MIL and FIL to both get scooters and they will be more comfortable riding together.

Hang in there! Your trip will be great!

Your thread title cracked me up; I keep hearing "Baaad juju" in Hadji's voice from the original Jonny Quest. :lmao:

3. MIL and FIL have both been battling heel spurs and herniated discs, respectively and we're very concerned about their mobility. We're investigating the possibility of renting ECV's although my FIL's pride might get the best of him.

:sad1:

I think they need to seriously consider ECVs, or at least budget for them as a back up plan. I had a heel spur this past spring and went to SeaWorld anyway, ended up with a big blister on the sole of my foot. :sad2: Well-broken-in shoes, although I think the pad on that side should have been replaced a bit sooner.

If possible, get them to try out EVCs at your local grocery store; Disney is no place to be learning how to maneuver one of those. :scared1: But, y'know, I kept going even with the heel spur, although it admittedly slowed me down considerable. And I don't reckon on using an ECV next time, either. :rolleyes1 So if your FIL's pride gets the best of him, it may not stop him, either. ;)

Tell me it'll all be ok!

It totally will! :hug: The bigger the group, and especially the more adults, the more likely there'll be interference and people backing out and whatnot. Not a bad sign; just normal, I'm afraid.

We had one cousins event planned (not Disney) where the only ones who actually showed up besides us were my brother and his daughter. Maybe because he picked the date and location. :rotfl: We've never had everyone make it to any cousins reunion, however that was a bit extreme. But in my experience, those who get there have a great time anyhow, as long as you don't expect to be "connected at the hip" while you're there. Which you don't, so should all be good. :thumbsup2

It sounds like your family could use a break from reality! Here's hoping the trip comes together, everyone is able to relax and enjoy each other's company, and your trip is smooth.

Prayers for the new little one, for a new job, and for healing of the heels and discs. :grouphug:

It sounds like your family could use a break from reality! Here's hoping the trip comes together, everyone is able to relax and enjoy each other's company, and your trip is smooth.

Prayers for the new little one, for a new job, and for healing of the heels and discs. :grouphug:

She said it for me, too!:grouphug:

I am sorry for all the bad things you and your family have been going through. I agree that you should try to get the parents to use EVCs. But, I imagine they might not comply...my MIL has a bad knee and she would never use one either. We requested our villa at OKW to be ground floor and I booked HH location as well for our upcoming trip. That should minimize stress on her knee a little. Maybe you could call and request a ground floor room too...explain why and they'll mark that it's a medical request. I suppose the family members that have been unemployed should probably try to cancel, but ultimately it's up to them what they do...as long as you haven't spotted them the $$ for the trip. Hope the premie is well and thriving...congrats on the new member of your family.

I can relate. I have some concerns for our upcoming trip too. We're going Dec 20-26 with my DH's entire family. We may leave our DS home with my mom because he's been having a lot of trouble in school and he'd be missing 2 1/2 days to go to Disney. My MIL will throw a huge fit! My Magical Christmas trip to Disney may be anything but.

OP here! UPDATE!

The juju continues:

So I left work this afternoon and my car is dead. New battery did nothing.
Kaput.

Anything else ya wanna throw at me????

That's a nasty run of bad luck. However, you ARE going to WDW and that will give you some much needed recouperation! Roll with what life is throwing at you and remember the good things:
1 - You are going to WDW!
2 - You have a new addition to the family even if that addition has caused a change in plans!
3 - You are going to WDW!!
4 - You're in-laws, though they have mobility issues, are going with you and you'll be able to create some magical memories together!
5 - You are going to WDW!!!

I hope you have a wonderful trip and remember to bring back some mickey ears for the new addition!

That's a nasty run of bad luck. However, you ARE going to WDW and that will give you some much needed recouperation! Roll with what life is throwing at you and remember the good things:
1 - You are going to WDW!
2 - You have a new addition to the family even if that addition has caused a change in plans!
3 - You are going to WDW!!
4 - You're in-laws, though they have mobility issues, are going with you and you'll be able to create some magical memories together!
5 - You are going to WDW!!!

I hope you have a wonderful trip and remember to bring back some mickey ears for the new addition!

You gotta admit, Smiling Grump has the right idea here. Also, it will likely be much nicer weather in Fl than Ks in a couple of weeks.:earsboy:

OP here! UPDATE!

The juju continues:

So I left work this afternoon and my car is dead. New battery did nothing.
Kaput.

Anything else ya wanna throw at me????

When it rains it pours. :sad2:

We will be at VWL starting on the 29th. Look me up and I will buy you a drink. :drinking1

:earsboy: Bill

When it rains it pours. :sad2:

We will be at VWL starting on the 29th. Look me up and I will buy you a drink. :drinking1

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks Bill! I'll be the one with the green Baggallini, a MIL wearing a walking boot, a FIL walking doubled over, and various other family members. I'll wave at you! :laughing:

Still waiting to hear the bad news on my car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter