• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking down the flag!!!!

Franco56

A PROUD VIETNAM VETERAN AND LOVER OF THE MOUSE!
Last October I was lucky enough to take down the flag at Magic Kingdom. I wrote a letter to Disney saying that I was a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran and that it would be an honor to do so. Just a few days later I got a phone call asking me when I wanted to do it. It was awesome! Well, we are off again in August, on our way back to WDW and I will be taking it down once again! It's pretty cool, they take pictures of it as it is going on, the band is playing, and a large crowd is watching. They give you a few momentoes, and a cool pin, that only veterans of the day get. They give you a brief talk on what they want you to do and it's nothing we can't handle, but I never did much of that stuff, being in the field most of the time. (LRRP) 50th Infantry, 9th Division. But I am PUMPED to take down "Old Glory" once again!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Originally posted by TinkHappy
What a wonderful honor...for Disney.

Wonderfully said.

iwojima.gif

What a great honor.....Congrats...

If you have pictures afterwards, please post...would love to see them.

Denise:D

As the wife of a 100% disabled Vietnam veteran let me say: "Thanks, welcome home and enjoy your trip to WDW."

That is really neat. Taking down the flag and putting it up,has always had an impact on me.

JohnsPrincess said:
I think that would be amazing to do! Congrats! Who did you contact??
My DH did it last year! It was quite moving. If you're interested, just check in at City Hall. If they don't already have one for the day, they'll schedule you. If it's booked, they'll look at the other days they have available during your vacation. I highly recommend it!

Thanks!! My mother, step dad, FH, and I are all veterans...I'll have to try to get at least one of us in!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter