• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

taking DN and no letter of consent

Domestic you don't need anything because no one will care, no one will ask you BECAUSE kids don't need ID to travel so it isn't needed.

The medical treatment is helpful but a letter to travel isn't Domestically.

For the OP I think I would be making a few call and having a list of notary available just in case! (and hopefully someone outside of banking hours, like maybe a assistant ant your insurance agents office)

As far as packing, I usually pack the night before we leave so that part wouldn't panic me.

I was concerned about the POA because my MIL wanted one when my dh and I went to wdw on a adults only trip and she watched my kids. I didnt want to be on the Maury show "my MIL stole my kids". anyways, get it notarized as it will have more clout that way. and do as the PP poster said get insurance card

When my niece comes to stay with me for a week or so at a time, my sister brings me a letter stating I can seek medical care, a list of medications/allergies, and a copy of their insurance card. I ask the same for friends who leave their kids with us when they go away for weekends, etc. Not for a simple overnight (when mom and dad are home), but anywhere that they can't be back in a flash if (God forbid) there is an accident/illness.

Protects all parties :cheer2:

I have left numerous messages and spoke to both my brother and sister-in-law and they said "well get it done". I don't think the consent is the problem, it is just that they are being "slack" about contacting a notary. I have offered $$ if that is the issue. If they can't get it notarized in time can they just have it witnessed by a third party that knows both parents?

I heard it was easy to get her out of Canada but getting back in seems to be the issue.

At least packing her clothes is not a super huge deal because I went out an bought her some stuff already. I just like each days outfits for my DD and DN to be in individual bags that they can grab and get dressed with ease.

Regardless of the money I have spent, my DN would be devastated as would be my DD as my niece is her best friend.

Hopefully things will come together soon. Not only is the trip four days off our house is on the market and we have an open house tomorrow. What can I say, I love the excitement :lmao:

Thanks DISERS!

I have left numerous messages and spoke to both my brother and sister-in-law and they said "well get it done". I don't think the consent is the problem, it is just that they are being "slack" about contacting a notary. I have offered $$ if that is the issue. If they can't get it notarized in time can they just have it witnessed by a third party that knows both parents?

I heard it was easy to get her out of Canada but getting back in seems to be the issue.

At least packing her clothes is not a super huge deal because I went out an bought her some stuff already. I just like each days outfits for my DD and DN to be in individual bags that they can grab and get dressed with ease.

Regardless of the money I have spent, my DN would be devastated as would be my DD as my niece is her best friend.

Hopefully things will come together soon. Not only is the trip four days off our house is on the market and we have an open house tomorrow. What can I say, I love the excitement :lmao:

Thanks DISERS!

In 8 trips out of Canada, I have never had to show consent when leaving Canada but 4 trips returning to Canada, I had to show consent at Immigration. One time was Edmonton and 3 times were Calgary. Being a divorced parent with sole custody, I wish they would ask leaving and returning because I don't want my ex to be able to take my son out of Canada without my permission.

All the Government Website says is a letter of authorization. If you can't get a notorized letter and end up getting friends to witness the letter, get a photocopy of the both parents drivers license that have a signature to compare the letter to and keep it with the letter. Also, have their cell phone so that they can be reached by Immigration if needed.

I am sure that they will get the letter done because they don't want their daughter disappointed either. Everything will work out. Have an awesome vacation.:cheer2:

In the last 5 years I have taken my DS and DD to WDW 6 times and every time I have had the consent letter from their father (who lives in another country). Only once have I been asked for this letter and it was on the return to Canada. The lady then told me that they prefer to have them notorized but she accepted the letters I had that were only witnessed. I would not travel without the letters as I would not want to be stopped at the border in either direction and turned around.

In the last 5 years I have taken my DS and DD to WDW 6 times and every time I have had the consent letter from their father (who lives in another country). Only once have I been asked for this letter and it was on the return to Canada. The lady then told me that they prefer to have them notorized but she accepted the letters I had that were only witnessed. I would not travel without the letters as I would not want to be stopped at the border in either direction and turned around.

I am glad that they may be willing to accept the witnessed letter because it may be our only chance at this point unless my brother can work magic. :wizard:

In 8 trips out of Canada, I have never had to show consent when leaving Canada but 4 trips returning to Canada, I had to show consent at Immigration. One time was Edmonton and 3 times were Calgary. Being a divorced parent with sole custody, I wish they would ask leaving and returning because I don't want my ex to be able to take my son out of Canada without my permission.

This boggles me a lot. If they only check the letter of consent one way, wouldn't it make more sense to check it LEAVING? That is when somebody could be trying to run away. Coming back, people are more likely to just be returning the person to their parents/home!!!

It seems a little backward that you'd not need it to take them out, but to bring them back. Anyone know why that is? :confused:

If you don[t hjave a power of attorney, then in the event of an emergency any medical care, hospitalization, etc. is between you and the hospital. Any arrangement between you and the parents is not the hospital's problem.

With a power of attorney, you can sign in the name of the parents.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

In the US, all banks I've used have a notary on site, available at a moment's notice, for free if you are a member of the bank.

Do Canadian banks have the same? You said you're leaving early Wednesday...could this be done on Tuesday?

:) I think in Canada it is a little more difficult to get things notorized and much more expensive...is this right??

It seems a little backward that you'd not need it to take them out, but to bring them back. Anyone know why that is? :confused:

In May, when I had to show my consent order, I asked the Immigration officer why I have to show coming back but not leaving - he told me that they just want to make sure the child belongs in Canada which didn't make sense to me because I have his passport so that should be proof that he is Canadian and belongs in Canada:confused3.

I have heard from others that it is mainly Calgary that is checking for letters of consent so they might just have more Immigration officers that follow the "rules".:confused3

I have sole custody of my son with a special paragraph stating that I can travel outside of Canada without the written persmission of my ex-husband. I must say that it scares me to know that my ex could take my son out of Canada without any flags going up especially since my ex is not Canadian. I personally would feel a lot better if you had to show permission leaving and returning to Canada.

Not too sure what the terms are as far as your relationship with her parents (if they are not getting the letter for you to spite you). I honestly would draft up a letter (one for each parent, with his and her names), take them to their house in person or email them, and just tell them to take the letter to the notary (assuming it needs to be notarized?) and get it to you immediately. If they don't take this attempt seriously, then you may have a problem on your hands as far as them basically refusing to let you take her with you.
Good luck to you! :wizard:

I get along with them very well but we are very opposite. But I was thinking they were avoiding me intentionally. They will sign the letter I drafted but may be out of time to get it notarized. But they may surprise me on Tuesday night when they drop of DN. :goodvibes

I have planned it this since we adopted our DD 2 years ago and DN has always been around my DH and I. I am sure it will all work out and we will be dining with Mickey and the Princesses very soon.:cloud9:

My grand daughter is my little traveling buddy. I always get a notarized statement from both her mom and dad (parents are divorced), saying she can travel with me to this place for these dates and I can get her any medical care she might require. I also get a copy of her insurance card. Without those two items she is not traveling with me and both of her parents know it. No way would I even consider taking her out of the country without a permission letter.

I hope for both the sake of your daughter & your niece, her best friend, that the consent letter is signed for her. I can understand your frustration because I'm also a type A person.

Like Aubriee, we are grandparents who have traveled with grandchildren (within the USA.) Other than a day trip to the zoo etc. we get a signed permission for travel from their parents in addition to permission for any medical care if neither parent can be reached. The children also have state issued ID's (look like a driver's license) which we showed to HSA at the airport. The agent had not seen those before and was quite impressed. From simple overnight visits to our home (30 minutes away from them) I've learned that some clothing or toiletry items will be forgotten. Therefore, I supplied a packing list for my daughter-in-law to prepare our granddaughters for their 1-week trip to WDW with us last year. I bought extra socks, swim wear and other needed items so cost would not be a problem for them. I simply stated that I did not want to spend vacation time doing laundry and was glad to help round out their wardrobes. Our trip was wonderful. Here's hoping yours will be also.

OP I hope they get the letter back to you in time.

I just wanted to post (sorry if it's been posted I did not read it all for anyone traveling with children that are not your please always get a letter authorizing you to have the child treated. I was babysitting my brother once (I was 18) he broke his arm pretty badly and had to go the ER via ambulance. The ER could do nothing but take Xrays until my parents were there. They could not give him any pain killers or start any treatment without parental consent. My brother sat in excruciating pain for 3 hours until my parents could get there. His arm was shaped like a smile ; ( They did tell me if it were a life threatening issue they could treat but that was it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter