• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking delicate decorations on the plane

Princess Joanna

Mouseketeer
please could you tell me how much hand luggage you are allowed to take back with you on the plane? i carnt wait to go in the days of christmas shop and buy many many decorations :yay:but there so delicate im worried they might get damaged:sad2:

It varies by airline and also by travel class. You will have both weight and dimension limits with both.

Disney is familiar with people needing to have things appropriately packaged for flights. Just tell them when you pay that you need it wrapped to stand up to a flight.

Remember with the liquid rules you can't take snowglobes in your carry-on.

It varies by airline and also by travel class. You will have both weight and dimension limits with both.

Disney is familiar with people needing to have things appropriately packaged for flights. Just tell them when you pay that you need it wrapped to stand up to a flight.

Remember with the liquid rules you can't take snowglobes in your carry-on.

Thanks i would never even thought about the snowglobes not being allowed because of the liquid

There have been many heartbroken people at security over the past years who have had to leave their precious snow globes behind. I must admit, I would cry too if I didn't know and had to leave one behind.

They usually pack the snowglobes in a box with polystyrene which is a snug fit so it should be fine in your hold luggage. Just wrap the box in between lots of clothes. Anything else delicate without liquid would be better in hand luggage to be on the safe side.

We have brought loads of decorations home fron WDW. We buy plastic storage containers from Walmart and pack the decotations in those. Leave the WDW wrapping on and gently pack them. We have had no breakages in the last few years doing this. Have fun collecting baubles.:):santa:

We usually buy a couple of decs each year. Disney package them really well, then we make sure they are right in the middle of the case with soft clothes all around them - we have never had a breakage. The only problem is all the packaging Disney use takes up so much extra room in the suitcase!!!!

In my experience the Mickey head baubles are always glass. I have small, medium and large ones and they have all made it home on my hand luggage in one piece. Infact baubles are my hand luggage! :santa:

We brought many Christmas/Engagement baubles back this past May and they survived the trip in our hold luggage.

Disney do package them well and we made sure they were secure between clothes and towels also. Everything got back in one piece :thumbsup2

I bought some fab Mickey Head decorations this year and they were metal, with jingle bells inside them, they were $9.99 each and didn't need much protection around them at all.

The WDW CMs are brilliant at wrapping stuff in the puffy tissue paper that they use, and then usually box them as well. We have only ever had one casualty in our suitcase.

DFIL bought a whole Disney dinner service home for our engagement gift years ago and there were no breakages at all! :)

Thank you for the info. :thumbsup2

If they can go into hand luggage then I won't be so worried. I just wasn't sure if glass was allowed in hand luggage or not, so it's not a problem :goodvibes

Think about perfume bottles, for instance. Enough out there with glass in them. Same goes for some other beautyproducts. Those are fine. If you ever question anything; surf to the website of your airline. They'll have a place where they tell you exactly what you can and can not have in carry on and/or checked luggage. Going back home, you'll probably already know by hart what is allowed into the UK and not. If not; check gouvernments website and you're all set.

I'ld put these things in checked luggage though. Why? Because you can control that better. My experience is that folks get too easy with their carry on, thinking they'll be able to protect their breakables from damage. Fun and all, untill you're forced to gate check your carry on. Or a nice fellow passenger pushes and shuvs to be able to get their carry on into the overhead compartment with yours. Or hitting bad turbulence, causing the carry on to go all over the place, possible smashing into things.

At least with a suitcase, you're aware of all of those risks ahead of time. Also it gives you a lot more space to surround your breakables with extra cushioning because a suitcase is larger than any carry on. Simply put anything with fluids in it and/or breakable into storage containers. You can pad between the container and item if need be with socks, underwear etc. Put those containers in the middle of the suitcase, on top of some soft things like clothes. Layer of soft over it again and it can stand A LOT. We always take home things like snowglobes, ornaments and other breakables. We use the same methode for bringing home great snacks like create-your-own from Goofy's. Allthough we put them in a ziplock back first before into the container. ;) Never had any damage, even when suitcases were 'tested' by being stuck in the bagage system etc. Heck, we've even transported bottles of wine this way. :rotfl:

Added bonus of using plastic containers, if need be combined with doubled up airtight closed bags; perishables stay fresh, if something breaks no risk of glass or other sharp residu getting on other luggage and risk of hurting oneself. If anything with fluids in it do break; it doesn't get onto all of your clothes etc.

If you are in the christmas store at downtown disney make sure you don't get in the personalisation queue to pay (unless you want personalised)

DH thought i'd been kidnapped I was in it that long!

Okay, thank you :)

Is there anywhere I can buy plastic storage containers on Disney property? We won't have a car so driving to Walmart or similar is out and I don't want to take boxes from home as they take up too much room.

:idea: You can also use containers on the way over; put smaller items in there. Toiletries, socks, underwear, t-shirts, you name it. If you are a 'smart' packer, this will hardly take up any extra space if any. I do this all the time, don't want my home to be swamped in an ever growing stack of containers. :rotfl:

If that's not you, I'm confident you should be able to find some at the cooking store at DTD, but knowing Disney they'll come at a premium price and you'ld probably have a more limited assortment of sizes.

:idea: You can also use containers on the way over; put smaller items in there. Toiletries, socks, underwear, t-shirts, you name it. If you are a 'smart' packer, this will hardly take up any extra space if any. I do this all the time, don't want my home to be swamped in an ever growing stack of containers. :rotfl:

If that's not you, I'm confident you should be able to find some at the cooking store at DTD, but knowing Disney they'll come at a premium price and you'ld probably have a more limited assortment of sizes.

That's a good idea. My mum does this for travelling all the time (she does NOT travel light :laughing:).

Poundland/Poundstretcher will be much cheaper then DTD for containers. ;)

Personally...if I was buying that many breakable items, I would have Disney ship them home for me.

It may cost a bit more but Disney then guarantees it will arrive unbroken. If it is broken upon receipt...you just call them and they send another one!

MUCH easier than trying to get it home in one piece by yourself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter