Taking a child's buggy on a Virgin flight

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
Virgin's website states that buggies "will normally be carried in the hold". I know I've seen people relinquishing them at the door as they board. In those circumstances, are they then transported in the cabin for collection before disembarking? Assuming there's a choice, which is preferable?

no they are carried in the hold but taken at the gate, you then collect them at the same place as the luggage but they are normally seperate

You normally drop off your buggy at the gate when you get on the plane and they put them in the hold. When you are ready to get off you have to go to the oversize baggage claim and pick them up. Usually there is a big pile of buggies and car seats at the luggage carousel where your cases will come off, so usually it's a case of carrying the little one until you get to the carousel.
HTH
Gems

We have in the past had Joshua's strollers stored in the oversize areas in the cabin of the plane.

I don't think it's necessarily a choice but it won't do any harm if they ask at check-in. Also logical that the earlier they board the plane the more room they are likely to have in the cabin areas.

The majority though are left at departure gate and then transported down into the hold.

You hand them in at the gate and they are returned along with normal baggage claim. They do tend to come out first though.

I don't want to worry you but they took our stroller from us at the gate and then proceeded to board everyone else, leaving parents with young children until last. It can be a real struggle so tell your daughter to pack light so that she can carry the little one. I had a 3 month old and a 14 months old so it was quite difficult as they were very wriggly and uncomfortable.

Also, remember that she will have to carry the baby throughout the queue for passport control as well.

Again, I am not trying to worry you but we were not prepared for it at all. We had been under the impression that you keep the stroller until the little tunnel on the plane and that is where it is when you get off. I had even remembered seeing them in the past when I had flown. We had a hand luggage case for each of us, including the children and also had bought duty free at the airport. Needless to say it was a bad idea!!

As long as your DD is prepared then she should be fine. I hope her travels go well.

We had been under the impression that you keep the stroller until the little tunnel on the plane and that is where it is when you get off. I had even remembered seeing them in the past when I had flown.
Thanks for all your replies and, Maz, for this in particular as this had been my recollection.

Another thought: what do you all do about tagging/identifying your pushchair when you're out there? She's bought one of the Maclaren umbrella type buggies especially for this trip. And what about protection from the sun? Will the hood on the buggy be sufficient?

butchers_stripe_pop.jpg

Must admit we have never tagged either of the 2 strollers we have used, as both have tended to stand out. One being green with white spots, and the other an over-sized MacLaren disability type stroller probably being the main reasons. :)

They could tie some colourful material or have 'something' attached to the handles perhaps.

The hood will be okay for the child's face and neck, assuming no sun can come through the rear of the hood.
Legs and arms could be outside the range of the hood protection so they will need to be careful there and apply sun block.
Assuming child will be in t-shirts/shorts that is.

On Joshua's first trip he sometimes wore a baby grow in the evenings which was cool enough for him and also offfered protection too, picture below refers :hug:

*can't believe I am sat here talking about prams, beats the in-depth conversation I had with someone once about taking Bisto gravy in the suitcase*

I fly back and forth to England with my 3 kids and always bring a stroller/push chair. When you arrive in the US it is always right out side or as close to the exit to the plane as possible. When I arrive in England they are always to the side of the baggage claim, which sucks as its pretty far from the plane to this point! Good luck.

Thanks for all your replies and, Maz, for this in particular as this had been my recollection.

Another thought: what do you all do about tagging/identifying your pushchair when you're out there? She's bought one of the Maclaren umbrella type buggies especially for this trip. And what about protection from the sun? Will the hood on the buggy be sufficient?

butchers_stripe_pop.jpg

You need to get a shade a babe

They are quite expensive, but they work a treat, my daughter had one over her maclaren when she was 6 months in disney and she loved it in there- lovely and cool, shaded etc

Just back today and we took our stroller and checked it in at the gate and got it back at baggage reclaim both ways. Be warned you need to get through immigration first. We took a little back pack for DD that has a rein attached so she could get down but not run off. It was great at the airport and in the parks as she really likes to walk now - might be worth considering as I know your grandson is going to be a month older than DD was for our trip :goodvibes

At MCO the strollers come through a little 'hatch' to the far side of the luggage belts next to the rest rooms.

At LGW they were at the oversized baggage area to the back of the baggae belts (it was called reclaim 10)

i actually have a spare one of those shade a babe things i could post if you want it, my friend gave me one and i already have one.pm me if you want it with details x

We were just discussing reins today, Elise and she's going to buy some - as much for the parks as anything else. And welcome home, btw!

Thanks so much for the offer, aaronandterri - that's so kind. They leave next Friday, though, so I think we'd be cutting it a bit fine for it to arrive in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter