• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking a break

Sandi12404

Mouseketeer
We're leaving in 147 days :woohoo: Not that I'm counting and I have a DD13 and DD7. My husband and I are wondering if we really need to go back to the resort half way through the day to swim or rest. Our kids are old enough that we figure we can relax in the parks and save the travel time. Anyone else do this?

We always take a break - even with the teenagers - if anything, just to enjoy the pools at the resort and take a break from the crowds. We don't necessarily nap - but its still nice. We kinda' collect our FP's in the morning and then use them when we go back in the late afternoon/early evening.

For us it really depends on the weather. It can also depend on where you are staying and how long it would take to get there and come back. Someone staying at a monorail resort can do it quickly. Those staying offsite have a much harder time of it.

We try to go during the time of year when it's not so hot that we HAVE to take the afternoon off. Instead, we try to take rest periods IN the parks we're in, finding quiet places to sit for a while.

We take an afternoon break every day unless we have an early evening and then we leave the parks by 4 p.m. Besides feeling fresher and more relaxed during our visit we find that when we get home we don't need a vacation from our vacation. I highly recommend taking the time to do it at least every other day if you're not sold on the idea. You'll notice the benefit I promise you.

If you are staying on property, I would still recommend going back to your resort. This past Feb. we stayed at Port Orleans during Pres. Week. We had wonderful mid-high 80s and just being able to put our feet in the pool and relax for a few hours really recharged us for evening touring. :thumbsup2 We initially started this with the kids in mind - 9,6 and 6. Later in the week, dh said he was grateful for the break in the day. Besides, it really was a way for us to enjoy the resort which we didn't do in 2009.

We always head back to the resort at some point for a break and then back to the parks later. It freshens you. We don't take naps at Disney..:scared1:.that would be a waste of time!!!:eek: We like enjoying the resort too which is why we stay at the Beach Club. We love the pool and the entire area with the Boardwalk a stroll away....don't necessarily have to be in the parks all day long.

We always make rope drop each morning, and we wouldn't make it without our after-lunch break. The pool is a big refresher.

Even with a toddler/preschooler, we don't take breaks and we do just fine.

I definitely don't see the need in taking a break with older children unless you just want to go swimming. I wouldn't say it's a necessity by any means.

I highly recommend it if you're going at a busier time and/or you're staying at a mod or deluxe. We always take breaks during the afternoon hours because they're the hottest and busiest parts of the day. To me, there's no reason to be in the parks during those times because it just makes you feel worse and the lines are ridiculously long (we always go at during the highest attendance times). Those afternoon hours are great times to just relax and hang around your resort.

I don't really consider it "taking a break", but we do generally go back to the resort in the early afternoon. We usually get into the parks early, then by 1 we're ready to head back to the resort to swim or sit in the hot tub. sometimes we just like to freshin up at that time with a shower. then by 5 we're ready for dinner and head back out.

We don't plan our days to the point where it wouldn't be a natural occurrence to just want to swim in the afternoon.

Another vote for taking the break, even with older kids.

I am a much older kid and would be miserable without the break time :)

We dislike the parades so much that we always leave the park we're in before the parade starts. We may go to DTD or just pool hop. We'll do most anything to avoid those stupid parades! :thumbsup2

Just another opinion...

We've never really taken breaks...

Probably because we don't get to go that often...and when we do go... we really only get one day per park...

it's just worked out fine with us. I do LOVE to have a Table Service meal at least once per day... so I'm sure that's when some relaxing has occurred for us...

CRT at 4p at MK.... Teppan Edo at 2p at Epcot... etc... Just a chance to relax in air conditioning with drinks and re-charge....

I do usually plan a day in the middle of the week with nothing planned but a Pool Day....and some night time activity...

Different strokes...

Hugs,
Mary

We almost always take a break. If we are not going anywhere in the evening we won't, but otherwise going from rope drop into the evening would be impossible, especially for my DH. We get there early, leave sometime after lunch for a few hours and then go back just before/after dinner depending on ADRs. My DH can only take about 6 hrs before he is "all funned out". So we usually go back and at least rest or nap if we will be out a bit later. Sometimes swim. This of course is much easier if you are onsite. I know people who don't need the break, but we really do, so it depends on your family. The first time we went I didn't nap when everyone else was and I came back exhausted and in need of a vacation. Also if it's hot when you go, and it looks like it will be, it takes a lot more out of you and you will need that break in the middle of the day when it's hottest. Have fun whatever you decide! :thumbsup2

See how you feel. I thought DH and I as adults wouldn't need a break. We made it through two days at US and one at DHS fine. By the fourth day at AK, we were DYING mid-way through (getting up for 7:00 EMH probably didn't help). We needed the break. We never planned one, but three of our six theme park days we needed one, and we took it, and we even went to sleep!

We didn't take a break during our last WDW vacation and it turned out with me being sick for two whole days.:sick:
So we'll definitely take breakes during our next trip.
But: how long is one of your breaks??? 1 hr, 2, 4 ?!
Please tell me, cause I have no idea how long it takes until feeling refreshed - I'm always very edgy [right word?!] at the parks:laughing:

I suggest taking a break in the parks (HoP or CoP for a nap etc.) and if that doesn't work, you will know for the next day. Also, what is your routine at home? Do you or the members of your family often take a nap at home? If so, you may need to take a real break at your resort. Also, knowing your family, would it be important for your family to swim in the middle of the day? Only you can really know if they would rather swim or tour a park.

People do it all the time.

They almost invariably end up sleeping in when they had planned to be in a park or leaving early because they or the kid(s) are tired and/or crabby and they're not enjoying themselves.

You cannot run (and certainly a 7 year old cannot run) all day long, from dawn to dark in a theme park and get up and do it again, day after day. Eventually, the kid (if not you) will poop out.

I suggest the break.

But either way, good luck and have fun!

I've gotta chime in too! I'm in favor of a break. We still have little kids, but when we went last year my hubby and I both slept about an hour while the kids slept too. It made the eves so much better. But you must realize, we were at RD at every park we did. We didn't plan the exact time of out breaks, but it seemed we'd be on the bus by 12:45-1:30 everyday. It was just time for us to go. Our breaks were usualy until around 4 PM to get to dinner or parks by 5 PM.

On the other hand, if you do not want to do breaks, 3/4 days work well too. BUT you need to take the night off then.

I'm figuring it will be hard to get 2 teens up in the AM for RD no matter what, but w/ long days - impossible.

GOOD LUCK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter