• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking a break from some of the parks until new attractions?

That's true, both resorts have really front-loaded the cost of the first day. It's a real concern when people try to do both Universal and Disney in one trip.

We bought APs for Universal last February because it made sense with the room discounts as well. Then we renewed them this past February for the cost of a one-day ticket, because the renewal rate at UOR is at such a great discount. So there are ways to lower the cost but it's still not insignificant when you try to do both.

Thank you for posting this. I know what the Disney discount is each year when we renew our annual passes but I've been wondering how much of a discount Universal gives when you renew. That sounds like quite a substantial discount?

I hear you. It isn't really something to rush through. Our longest trip was in 2005. We were gone 15 days. We drove from the Midwest across the Rockies, down into the 4 corners area and ping ponged between amazing national parks. It didn't feel like a driving trip any more because the drive WAS the attraction. From there we went into Disneyland then back out around roughly the same path, hitting different sights on the way back. I lost count, we've actually been to that area 5 times (only making it all the way to DL 4 times) but there are still things we haven't seen.

My favorite stop ever, Horseshoe Bend in Page, AZ. We didn't make it there until our 4th trip:

Horshshoe Bend by mom2rtk, on Flickr

WOW! That is awesome! We've been considering a drive west since our family has never been to Disney Land. It's a 16 hour drive for us from Austin to Orlando, and according to online directions it's an 18 hour drive to California. So not much of a difference, it seems - and the drive east certainly doesn't have anything near what is depicted in that picture!

WOW! That is awesome! We've been considering a drive west since our family has never been to Disney Land. It's a 16 hour drive for us from Austin to Orlando, and according to online directions it's an 18 hour drive to California. So not much of a difference, it seems - and the drive east certainly doesn't have anything near what is depicted in that picture!

We have also made the drive east to Orlando from the Midwest. And that's pure torture to me. (Thankfully we're flying this summer). The drive west is a little longer for us, but once we get to Colorado there's so much to see along the way I forget about how long it takes. :)

If you ever decide to give it a try, message me and I'll offer some suggestions about our favorite stops. The Grand Canyon doesn't even make the top 5.

We have also made the drive east to Orlando from the Midwest. And that's pure torture to me. (Thankfully we're flying this summer). The drive west is a little longer for us, but once we get to Colorado there's so much to see along the way I forget about how long it takes. :)

If you ever decide to give it a try, message me and I'll offer some suggestions about our favorite stops. The Grand Canyon doesn't even make the top 5.

Thanks! It honestly takes forever just to get out of Texas, that's a huge portion of any of our trips by car. That might have even been what's prevented us from turning left instead of right, because taking a left presents us with almost half a day of nothing until we leave the Texas/New Mexico state line! It's almost as bad as going straight up - after Dallas/Fort Worth it's pretty empty and desolate until you get north of Oklahoma.

Thank you for posting this. I know what the Disney discount is each year when we renew our annual passes but I've been wondering how much of a discount Universal gives when you renew. That sounds like quite a substantial discount?

The four passes were $650 for the renewal (2 adults, two kids). That was for the Preferred. They were $1000 when we bought them first in 2014 so a very nice discount!

Thanks! It honestly takes forever just to get out of Texas, that's a huge portion of any of our trips by car. That might have even been what's prevented us from turning left instead of right, because taking a left presents us with almost half a day of nothing until we leave the Texas/New Mexico state line! It's almost as bad as going straight up - after Dallas/Fort Worth it's pretty empty and desolate until you get north of Oklahoma.

I totally get that. The one bad part of our trip west is that first day driving across Kansas. :faint: Thankfully cell coverage has gotten better through the years so we have more to distract us. :)

I agree that PH makes a difference. No matter where we start the day we often seem to end up at World Showcase. For us it isn't just about the attractions. We love being there in a lovely setting with no real expectations. Its a vacation so my goal is to relax and enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter