• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking a "big" 2 year old

wlg2007

Earning My Ears
Our 2 year old will turn 3 while we are on our trip but she is a tall 2 year old. She is also very shy. I am worried that if a CM doesn't believe that she is 2 and physically ask her, she will freak out and become a recluse. Basically I don't think she will answer them. What will happen? How am I to provide "proof" that shes 2 if she doesn't look like and won't answer- or do I not even need to be concerned? Thanks everyone! :)

You do not need to worry. In my experience, they will not question her age. I took my son through the gates in a stroller when he was 3. He had a ticket, but I had to remember each time to swipe it because they would just let us through and not even mention it.

Our 2 year old will turn 3 while we are on our trip but she is a tall 2 year old. She is also very shy. I am worried that if a CM doesn't believe that she is 2 and physically ask her, she will freak out and become a recluse. Basically I don't think she will answer them. What will happen? How am I to provide "proof" that shes 2 if she doesn't look like and won't answer- or do I not even need to be concerned? Thanks everyone! :)

Bring a birth certificate.

Based on my own experience with all 3 of my kids there will not be an issue. The cast members are well trained and will not make an issue out of it. If you are concerned you could bring a birth certificate as one of the previous posts mentioned but odds are you won't need it.

Children do not age while on a Disney trip. If the child is 2 at the beginning of the trip, they are considered 2 for the entire trip (even if they turn 3 during the trip). CMs won't ask for proof of age, it is an honor system.

Enjoy your trip!

I would bring a copy of the birth certificate and just have it on hand (in case you need it for anything during the trip). And be prepared that cast members will talk a lot to your child, just to say hi or ask if it is their first visit, are they excited to meet Mickey mouse etc. My son gets shy around strangers too, but it will happen daily, so be prepared.

Children do not age while on a Disney trip. If the child is 2 at the beginning of the trip, they are considered 2 for the entire trip (even if they turn 3 during the trip). CMs won't ask for proof of age, it is an honor system.

Enjoy your trip!

True? Cool. We're heading in October for our daughters 3rd birthday (CRT reservations, BBB earlier in the day...going to be a fun day!) We figured she'd be free on her birthday, but that we'd have to get her a ticket after that for the rest of the trip (3 days before and 6 days after). We still might...just to take that "my first ticket" photo, LOL! We're going to take one of her at the turnstiles with a sign "My last free visit...:sad2:".

Edit to add:
Found a "mom's panel" answer from 3/25/13:
you will be able to register both children as two years old for the entire vacation and enjoy the benefit of free admission to the parks. Also, if buying a Disney Dining Plan they will not be included in the plan.
Source: Mom's Panel Link

There will not be an issue, but they might ask her how old she is. It would be a fun, light way, " Hi sweetheart, Welcome to WDW, how old are you?" They would not press at all and if she does not answer, just say, "we are celebrating her 3rd birthday this trip!". I have brought a copy of BC but never needed it.

We always carry a copy of dd's birth certificate. In case of our foster kids their official travel letter and placement letter. We have never had to use it but like having something with their name and ages just in case there is an issue. On our last trip foster daughter turned three just before so we purchased a ticket for her. She is very small and has delays and we had multiple cm think she was under three and say she didn't need a ticket.

The way we've seen it handled is that the CM who is unsure will ask, "Does the little one have a ticket?" Allowing the parent to say, "Opps! Forgot, here it is" or "No, she's only two." No confrontation or accusation, they'd rather trust you on that one than make a stink at the gate.

The way we've seen it handled is that the CM who is unsure will ask, "Does the little one have a ticket?" Allowing the parent to say, "Opps! Forgot, here it is" or "No, she's only two." No confrontation or accusation, they'd rather trust you on that one than make a stink at the gate.

That was my experience too. Most of the time DS was in the stroller when we went through the gates, but I let him "help" me with my ticket a few times. A CM said something like "now it's time to do Mommy's ticket" (he thought the ticket was DS's) All I said was "That was my ticket. He's only two." That's it.

I was actually surprised by how few people engaged DS during our recent trip. He's super chatty. Even though most people don't understand a word he says, they get a kick out of it. Very few people at Disney paid attention to him at all.

When I swap my vouchers for tickets I just hand everyone's passports to the cm. they can see my daughters birthday on it.

Disney doesn't care. They won't ask. Don't bring your birth certificate, if anything, it just makes you look guilty.

If the BC is lost/stolen, I'm sure it would fetch a nice price on the black market (identity theft) ; ) Not worth the risk, when there is NO need to bring it.

Have a great trip!

Disney doesn't care. They won't ask. Don't bring your birth certificate, if anything, it just makes you look guilty.

If the BC is lost/stolen, I'm sure it would fetch a nice price on the black market (identity theft) ; ) Not worth the risk, when there is NO need to bring it.

Have a great trip!

This was my concern! thank you!

I always carry my son's birth certificate folded in a tiny square in my wallet. We once had a rough time clearing immigration with him in the USVI (which is domestic, like flying to NY, no passport or special documentation is required) and I have carried it ever since. But I have never needed it to prove his age at Disney or anywhere, even though he is at 100 percentile for his age.

My son is REALLY tall for 2, and we only got a "look" one time but never confrontation. It was when we added an extra day of tickets at HS ticket window.

If you really want to bring a BC with, why not just take a picture of it from home? That way, if they have a question, you have the picture and you don't have to worry about losing an official document.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter