Taking a 10 month old in August...

brightspark

<font color=blue>Wants to try the happy soap<br><f
Hi there,
We have just booked an 18 day trip in August (have to go in UK school holidays, which is mostly August), and will have Ds5 and DS10 months with us. We have been quite a few times, and this will be DS5's 3rd trip. We have never taken one as young as 10 months before and I'm wondering how others have got on, esp with the temperatures in August. The plan is plenty of pool, water park time... but I'm wondering how we would get on with having the little one in the sling / baby carrier in August? Will he get too hot? Do we need to have him in a stroller? The plan is to hire a double stroller, so that both boys can rest, but will I get use out of the sling?

I hope to be nursing still, so this trip will be quite an adventure for us! At the moment with no routine at all, I'm feeling a little freaked out at the whole prospect (and a lot excited);)

Thanks in advance for your help
BS

I actually wonder how hot YOU will get with the sling in August. However, if you still plan to be nursing, I'd bring it. If it's relatively compact and you end up not using it, you can always just stuff it in the stroller basket anyway.

Hmm yes I wondered about how hot I would get... we could both cook! Realised that by then I'll probably only be nursing morning and night so it shouldn't affect our days...

Thanks

Look at the park maps. There r baby care centers that have ac and private rooms or stalls for feeding. Also pops and other kids can relax w tv

We traveled as a family with a 10 month old to Disney for our first Disney trip! I was not nursing as she had medical problems that required a specialized formula. But honestly, she was the best one out of all of us! She slept when she wanted to in the stroller and was awake and happy the rest of the time. The one thing we did that I would suggest was that we bought her a battery operated fan that attached to the stroller and blew on her all day! We went in the summer as well and she was happy and cool! just remember to buy PLENTY of extra batteries before going to Disney, they are very expensive at Disney! Also bring a small, pocket screw driver to get into the battery compartment. We forgot to do this!!!! We ended up buying a very expensive eyeglass repair kit in the park to open the battery section but it worked and our baby stayed cool and happy! :cutie: I can't remember the site where we bought the fan but I am sure you can just google battery operated clip on fans! Enjoy! The pictures and memories will be worth it!:yay:

Niki, thank you so much for the fan tip! Brilliant idea, as well as the batteries and screwdriver!
Was your little one crawling / walking? Did she find it difficult being stuck in the stroller all day?

I took my son at 10 months old but it was in February.

He was walking, so we made sure to find some empty spots for him to walk every so often (I remember world showcase at Epcot being particularly good for that). He fell asleep on a lot of rides and during shows so his naps were messed up (but he was never that great of a sleeper anyway).

I was nursing, too and, again, he'd nurse during dark rides and shows so I didn't have to trek to the baby care centers often.

It was probably split between wearing and stroller and walking (obviously I didn't let him walk where it was too busy).

I've taken him again at 2 and 4 (and planning a trip for his 5th birthday) and so far 10 months was the easiest!

VERY HOT!!!

As someone who lives in Florida...get GOOD baby sunblock, don't forget their little legs! Leave him barefoot so he can be cool, but sunblock his feet, even the bottoms!!!

Buy a stroller fan...keep it on all the time. Also, a VERY GOOD sunshade that can extend, or very lightweight blankets/sheets in case you need to block sun during a nap.

Put him in two piece outfits, no onesies or one pieces. I found that those were MUCH cooler, just because they let air flow by his belly.

COLD MILK...I would freeze some bottles the night before if possible, keep in an insulated bag...wrap in washclothes/paper towels...as they defrost, you will have wet, cold towels to wipe down the baby's arms, legs, face, etc.! The best!

Stay hydrated, eat light but a lot, lots of small snacks. Make sure he has time to get out of the stoller in a cool place. I would recommend against the carrier, it's just too hot! I would melt. :lmao:

When we took DS2 who was 13 months, he was miserable. We went end of May, early June. I'm not sure if he had a little cold or he had a reaction to excessive heat, but every time we went outside, he slept and had fever. The 3rd day we were there I kept him in the hotel and we went swimming. He seemed to be fine in the evenings which leads me to believe it was the sun/heat.

We're from Louisiana but don't stay outside much when it's blistering hot.

My suggestion is to drape a blanket of a stroller when he sleeps. I think a sling/carrier will be too hot. Provide lots of water and cool rags if you can.

I know we couldn't do this because we had grandmas and DS 4 year old, but if you can go to parks in AM, leave at lunch then get back in parks around 4, you can avoid the crowds/heat.

My little one was crawling and kinda walking. She always loved the stroller so it was no big deal for her to be in the stroller. She loved to look around at everything and came out for all the rides. She fell asleep whenever she wanted to and all the movement kept her happy and the fan kept her cool. With 2 parents and grandparents and big brother and aunt and uncle, she had tons of attention and always someone to pick her up whenever she fussed, which was next to never! It was the grownups who fussed about the heat and walking! HA! We are getting ready to go again and she is 6 now and I am sure she will be much more difficult this time around than at 10 months!

Thank you for all of these replies
We have been in August before, but we had teenage neice and nephews with us, not little ones, but I do remember the heat... hope we'll keep. All the mention of fans and frozen drinks are great ideas, as is the 2 piece clothing. Will make a note of all these things.

I anticipate sleep being all over the place.. our older son has been at 18 months and 3 years, and both times suffered with shocking jetlag (got up at 1am the first day thinking it was morning..) but he always slept well in the stroller thankfully. We will definitely be up early and at the parks for opening, and then plan to have quieter afternoons. We struggle to get out in the evenings again though, due to jetlag and the crazy early mornings... but we are there for 2 weeks so have time to take it all slowly! I need to get a factor 50 sunshade for the stroller too, as well as the 50 sunscreen...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter