Taking 1st grader out of school for 1 week

btwitkin

Mouseketeer
Can anyone who has done this tell me how they handled it, and their experiences.

We have just booked our trip for the 2nd week in November, and will be taking our son out of school for the week. He is in 1st grade. His report cards in kindergarten were perfect, and his teacher said he is on a 2nd grade level for reading, math, etc...so we are not worried about him falling behind academically.

How did you handle it with the school/teacher? How much notice did you give? Were you met with any resistance from the school?

We know as our son gets older we will not be able to do this due to increased schoolwork/homework. We figure he is still at an age/grade where we have no problem with it.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks

We took my nephew out in the 1st grade got all of his work before he left. He did it all before we went to parks each day when we got back he was ahead of class teacher sent more then he needed :confused3 this year we are pulling him out again he will do some the nite before we leave some on the plane hoping he is done by then .

We pulled my daughter for 4 days 2x in first grade and 4 days 2x in 2nd grade and she will be missing 4 days this Sept when she is in 3rd grade. We tell the teacher about 1 week in advance and have never met any resistance. Typically the teacher will send a few math worksheets and have her keep a journal of the trip.

I took my then 3rd grader out last year and it was an unapproved absence. It didn't mean too much, except she could not make honor roll that semester or get perfect attendance.

I wrote a letter to her teacher and school about a month before our trip, stating that we would be gone for X amount of time and that the trip would be highly educational and I listed several examples of how it would be educational in each park. You can actually find an excuse letter online that you can switch around to suit your Disney trip needs, so apparently this is a huge topic.

My letter was not accepted and I was told her grades would have to be zeros for the week.... they were not. I guess it depends on the teacher. :confused3 She was not really given any make-up work, much less any work to do during the trip, but her grades were the same A's and B's as always when report card time rolled around.

I am also taking her out next year, 5th grade, for 3-4 days and personally, I see no issues with it. Most teachers, regardless of what the school says, will help out their students if they are good students and don't typically cause trouble. I know several teachers that would love to go on vacation during the year and they see no issues with it as well..... but others have HUGE issues with it. I figure, my kid is rarely sick and usually only misses one day of school a year, if that. Lots of other kids are out all the time, sick or not, and most never tell the teacher if they went on vacation anyway..... We tell the teacher honestly, we are just going on vacation when it is cheaper or a holiday time, and they accept it for what it is- family time. My kid can make up the work no problem and gets good grades and never causes issues in class- so, we go when we wanna. :goodvibes

Every year I have students pulled out for WDW trips (I even pull my own kids and myself out as well ;)).

Just let the teacher know, via note or email, about 1-2 weeks ahead of time, and you should be fine. Make it short and to the point...no need to jazz it up with a description of how it will be educational.

Have a great trip!

I just intend to tell the teacher and the school secretary one week before we leave. My kids are in 3rd & 1st grade. I will find out what they are working on and print off some worksheets from the internet for them to work on during the drive down. I don't expect the teacher to do any extra work for me. If by chance there is something special they are working on the week we are away, then we will do it before we leave or the week we return.

I took my DD6 out of school last year in Oct. I told her teacher on the first day that we had a trip planned and that I hoped she was okay with it and she totally was. She said to remind her a week before and to send a note for the office at that time with the dates she'd be gone. I see no reason to write up as to why it's educational, I really don't think that a teacher wants to see that. People go to Disney to have fun and have family time not to learn. Not that I don't think Disney can be educational, it truly can be, but just that people don't go there normally with the intent to have an educational trip.
I asked her teacher if there was work she could do and she said that she wasn't at all concerned with her missing out on anything as she was already ahead of most of the class. She just wanted her to have fun. I did have DD6 keep an ABC photo journal. We did a scavenger hunt around the parks and resorts to take pictures of different things (rides, animals, shows, people, etc.) that started with each letter of the alphabet and then compiled them into a photo album which she shared during Show and Tell. Even though we will be returning this year the night before school starts she is going to do it again this year. I am interested to see as the years go by how different the albums may get.

Please, please, PLEASE find out your school systems policy on unexcused vs. excused absences. Do it NOW. As has been pointed out in many threads here (you might want to do a search), some school systems are strict on vacations and others aren't. That can mean anything from not allowing work to be made up to being hauled into court because your child is "truant". The teacher may not have any say in the matter.

Now, I personally disagree with taking kids out of school for vacation. But each family has to do what's right for them. Just be prepared to suffer the consequences (IF there are any).

Since I've said my piece... popcorn::

Yeah, it depends on the state regulations and the particular school. In my state, they only get 10 unexcused absences and family vacations are not excused.

1st grade is very intensive, and the week-to-week class work is hard for teachers (like my mom) to predict, so don't be surprised if the teacher seems hesitant to provide details about what work they should do while away on vacation. It will be easier for the teacher to give you a list of what the class achieved when you return.

Since your child appears to be a fast, independent learner, they should catch up without too much drama. However, your child will miss some classroom activities that cannot be replicated outside the classroom. It's not the teachers responsibility -- it's up to you and your child to catch up on what was missed, if possible.

I would definitely check the guidelines for unapproved absences in your district, but I would the talk to the teacher (and possibly the principal, if it's a small school with good rapport). My daughters have both taken time out for five days without any recourse and with the teachers and administrators giving wholehearted approval. You are definitely better opening communication early; my younger child's fifth grade teacher already knows we are leaving in May!:)

My DD will be in first grade this year and we are taking her out for a week in December to go to Disney. I am not really worried about it, but it is good to know to let the school office know in advance as well. THANKS for the great advice.

I am taking my son who is in Kindergarten out in November - he will end up missing one day but when I told the teacher that we have vacation planned, before she even knew how much time would be missed, she told me the school believes in the importance of family vacations and it would not be a problem at all.

I put my son in year round schooling to have more breaks to chose from for family vacations but next year, in grade 1, he will likely miss 4 days because we are planning a vacation with my best friend and her family so it will have to be November again (his 2 week break is in October). I know from talking with the Kindergarten teacher however that it will not be a problem for him to miss 4 days of Grade 1.

My nephew is an A student and is already ahead of the class reading and doing math at a 6 grade level we will be leaving after count day so the school will still get the money for him and they will not loose that we planned it that way.

I have taken both my kids out of school for a week to go to Disney and it has never been a problem. This past school year my dd missed 3 weeks of school due to emergency surgery and then 2 weeks after she returned to school we left for Disney (The trip had been planned way in advance, and it turned out to be something for dd to look forward to while recovering). And even that wasn't a problem.

I think the most important thing is to check and make sure there are no exams or evaluations going on during the time you are away. And to not make more work for the teachers - they are busy enough.

Now my ds is in high school, and even though some of his classmates take time off for vacations, he would not feel comfortable going away during school.

I took DD out of 1st grade last year. She is above average as your DS is, so we didnt really worry about her work. she was given a week to do her homework but had it done in two days.

I told her principle in May before school was out her kindergarten year and then again the first day of school and again a week before we left. I did receive a letter from the board of education stating they needed a reason she was gone for 5 days straight. I just wrote them a letter and told them that we were on vacation. The principle put in 5 parent notes for me. (we are allowed 5 parent notes per semester). So she wasnt allowed to miss anymore school for that semester, but they had no problem with it.

Hope your trip is fun!!! Enjoy!!!

I echo the poster who suggested that you find out the rules for attendance in your area. In some cases, parents have been turned into the DA's office when children miss more days than allowed. Fines can be levied. Just make sure you know the rules. Hopefully, your district is open to your vacation & you won't have any problems.

Once you know the rules, make sure to let the teacher and principal know 2-3 weeks in advance, just to make sure there is time to gather any work for make-up.

We are taking DS5 out of kindergarten for 4 days. We mentioned it to his teacher the night of the meet and greet, which was about 18 days before we are leaving.
Make sure to let them know in plenty of time and see what their policy is about absences. It is the practice at our school to ask for an educational enhancement form so the child is not counted absent. I know it is a much bigger deal in other school districts.
We are taking letter worksheets to do and also making a scrapbook. If you want/need other educational ideas, check out the educational trip thread on the strategies board. There are a lot of really good ideas there once you sift through the flaming.
Good luck! Have a wonderful time!

I did it last year + a 4th grader, we were there for a total of 8 days + 2 travel days, they had a Thur. & Fri. off of school ~ they also missed the entire following week. Not too bad ~ 5 days missed for a 10 day trip.

make sure you find out when the homework/tests missed must be made up. In our school, all homework is due on the date they return to school, and all make-up tests must be taken on that day as well in order to receive credit for 100%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter