• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tagless DIS'ers / Formerly Tagless DIS'ers Unite!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came in to say I am also tagless. I know for sure I'll be back to hear the rest of that story.:thumbsup2

I left off with the drama of the past few days. Wednesday night a production supervisor at the main facilty was unexpectedly terminated. The news sent shockwaves as this supervisor had been with the company over 30 years and also played an integral role in producing our products. Thursday afternoon I got a call from the facility manager. It was business at first then he asked if I was applying for the production supervisor position. I laughed it off but he was serious. He went on and on about how I would be perfect for the job and why. It caught me off guard since I hadn't thought twice about it. We ended the conversation with his suggestion that I talk to HR about, but I had no intention of doing so.

The next day I ran into the same manger and he told me that he talked to the HR manager and recommended me for the position. He went on to say how much they needed me, that not everyone has what I have :confused: ... He said the HR manager agreed. I walked away feeling good, but at the same time kept in mind that he's not the hiring manager and in the end his opinion won't count.

Later that afternoon I got a call from the HR manager. Once again it was business as usual but then a conversation about a production supervisor possting, if I would interested in production? and to call if with questions, etc. Needless to say, I started to consider it ...

So I go on about my day, considering it, but not. One of the things the facility manager mentioned in our conversation was how people would be mad about me suceeding quickly. I understand what he's saying. If I was to get the position, surely there will be folks who feel they are more deserving. It's the same thing I experience right now but magnifide. If I was to get the position, it would be in a sense another lateral move -- still the title of supervisor, but responsible for double the amount of employees, important equipment, product levels etc. It's completely worthy of an increase in pay.
Like I said, I was thinking about it, but kind of not until yesterday, yes - a Saturday, I got a call from the superintendents of the production area.

Two of them, and they had me on speaker. They would be my bosses in the new position. They called to say they wanted me on their team,that I have what it takes, they want me -- their boss wants me ... How exciting!! We talked about specifics of the job. I won't get into it, but they were highly motivated. The problem is, I don't want my boss to find out about any of this. I don't want him to think I'm going behind his back. Part of me wonders how willing he would be to give me up since I've been his go to person the past few months. Employees have complained to the head honcho about the supervisor on 1st shift and my boss has eluded to changes being made. Perhaps he has plans for me of his own.

If I were to get the job ... (I don't want to act like it's in the bag even though it looks good) ... It would be a huge career move for me. I would gain valuable experience I can't get in shipping and receiving. Of course there will be the naysayers who feel I'm unqualified. That intimidates me to some degree, but I could handle it. But what about my boss? Should I tell him I'm interested in that job? I don't even know how to handle myself tomorrow. I know the superintendents will be curious as to what I'm thinking and call me on it. I don't know what to do ... how to feel. Should I even care what my boss thinks? Should I tell him? If I don't, I'll appear to be scheming behind his back. Thanks for sticking with my story ya'll. Your advice is appreciated!

DO -
This is all at the same place of business, right? I would think your boss has heard some rumblings about the higher ups trying to grab you away. If you have a good relationship with your boss, I'd let him know you have been pursued and plan to talk with them. It doesn't hurt to talk and even if you would rather stay in the area you are, the talk could bump up your salary.

No matter what you do, when you get promoted there will be the people who think you don't deserve it and they'll claim you got it for everything other than why you actually did, your skills. As long as the bosses know you have what it takes to do the job, and the people you manage learn you have what it takes, you'll just have to ignore the idiots. For some reason, there's always those people who want to put others down to make themself feel better. (My 8 year old deals with this on a daily basis in school, sadly it's great experience for the work world.)

I think if you go with your gut on this one too, you'll make the right decision.

Yup - ain't she sweet? Nice to sleep at WDW in my *own* sheets with excellent coffee.....lol.... plus my big dog....lol...

I'm generally on the Podcast board, and the Camping boards, but I'm broadening my horizons!! <smile>

Hi DebbieT! :wave2: I love the camper in your avatar!...is that yours?

Determined, I am *so* pleased for you! Just to let you know where I"m coming from, I'm a retired headhunter, so I've got a bit of experience in the manufacturing industry, as well as others.

Congratulations - you're in a great position. First, *definitely* discuss this with your current supervisor. You have zero to lose by doing this, either he'll get on the ball with a proposed salary increase to keep you in his department, or he'll see the wisdom in your interest in furthering your career within the company, urge you to pursue it, and ask for your recommendation in finding a successor. Either way, you win. Plus, he has nothing but honesty from you.

Production supervisor is a skillset that you can then take to *any* manufacturing industry - and they're quite valuable. Though sometimes their value is based on the company's overall performance, which may/may not be directly attributed to the PS's performance. Clear as mud?

Again, you're in a win/win situation. You've already garnered support across departments. My guess is that you'll maintain those relationships, and will experience great continued success.

First of all: DeterminedOne - ditto what Mean Queen and DebbieT said! I don't feel I need to elaborate further with empty words; they said it perfectly! Oh, except Good Luck!! :thumbsup2

Also: DebbieT - don't you LOVE the Fort?! I can't wait until we live closer so we can go there when we visit WDW. I've stayed there with DH, years ago before kids, and we all visited on our last trip (had dinner at Trail's End so we spent some time there). I know there are people who do it but for us, towing our pop-up from NH is just TOO far and too tiring (and we're usually only working with a week's vacation anyway; too much time on the road!). People come and go from the resort hotels, but the Fort is like a whole other community! :goodvibes

but the Fort is like a whole other community! :goodvibes

So much so it's almost impossible to get a site there anymore. We had reservations for MLK weekend but we needed another site to fit our whole group. Rather than tell one set of friends, "sorry, you can't come", we cancelled. :sad1: We already booked 2 sites for MLK weekend next year. :flower3: I'd love to get a pop-up, but we would only use it for Disney. I'm not much of a camper, unless it's Disney camping or a nice RV.

Thank you all for your advice and support. I knew I could count on you! :thumbsup2

I talked to my boss today and he was incredibly supportive. He said he knew I would be interested, that I have a great chance and am a great candidate. He said he doesn't want to lose me, but he won't hold me back. It was a nice conversation and when it was all said and done, he gave me a hug.
:)

Thank you all for your advice and support. I knew I could count on you! :thumbsup2

I talked to my boss today and he was incredibly supportive. He said he knew I would be interested, that I have a great chance and am a great candidate. He said he doesn't want to lose me, but he won't hold me back. It was a nice conversation and when it was all said and done, he gave me a hug. :)

Great news!

Keep us posted on what you decide - we're hooked now! :rolleyes:

I talked to my boss today and he was incredibly supportive. He said he knew I would be interested, that I have a great chance and am a great candidate. He said he doesn't want to lose me, but he won't hold me back. It was a nice conversation and when it was all said and done, he gave me a hug.
:)

Let us know how it goes. This could be a huge move for you. Either way, it sure is nice to be so valued at work.

DeterminedOne, it looks like things are starting to clear up! Mean Queen & DebbieT's (welcome, by the way!) advice sounds perfect. Good luck and keep us updated!!

Hey ya'll. I got to leave work early today. :cheer2: BTW - it's almost 50 degrees here. It was just last week when I complained about temps in the single digits. :)

A very happy
Good morning
to you all!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

...and a few dancing bananas
because SmileyBug seems to
have abandoned us and we don't
get them anymore....

:sad2:

So, after a high of 44 yesterday, we once again have a 2-hr. school delay this morning due to freezing rain....:headache: I will miss work all together (not a good thing since no work = no pay) because I was leaving early for a dentist appt. anyway, so going in late to work for an hour just doesn't make sense! Winter can't end soon enough....

D.O. - any further news on your job situation??

Have a great day y'all! :rotfl:

Who doesn't like dancing bananas in the morning?

I do miss Smileybug's morning messages. Sorry you can't get to work today. A loss of pay always stinks.

I have nothing planned today. They are SUPPOSED to be finishing our bathroom today. But we'll see. :rolleyes: Every time they do something new, something else breaks. Somehow they disconnected the electricity in my DD's room when they were working on the bathroom. Then we found a small leak in the first bathroom they worked on. I just hope we find all the problems before they finish so we don't have to have them come back.

A very happy
Good morning
to you all!!

...and a few dancing bananas
because SmileyBug seems to
have abandoned us and we don't
get them anymore....

:sad2:

So, after a high of 44 yesterday, we once again have a 2-hr. school delay this morning due to freezing rain....:headache: I will miss work all together (not a good thing since no work = no pay) because I was leaving early for a dentist appt. anyway, so going in late to work for an hour just doesn't make sense! Winter can't end soon enough....

D.O. - any further news on your job situation??

Have a great day y'all! :rotfl:

It's amazing how quickly the temperature dropped around here. This time yesterday it aw 50 degrees but today it's 17! :confused3

The job posting was pulled today at 1:00 and I imagine interviews will be next week. I will definitely keep you in the know. :thumbsup2 Waiting is the hardest part!

I just listened to all of Illuminations on Live365....:cloud9:

I also just got a call from work, saying we're not working tomorrow. She didn't give much detail but it sounded like something of a personal nature. Hope everything's ok...:guilty:

Anyone else around tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter