Tacky?

Are gold rimmed champagne flutes tacky?

• Yes, they are hideously tacky and should not be used even if it is the holidays!

• No, they are not tacky and with the right coordinated decor can be quite elegant.

• Maybe, depends. I will post my reasoning.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mickeysaver

<font color=blue>WINNER of the world's worst limer
Ok, obviously, there is a conflict of taste going on at my house.

We are having Gabby's mother and her mother's friend, Josephine, over for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. We didn't have any champagne flutes, but we do now. Without revealing who is the tacky one, I did want to ask what you guys thought.

The glasses are most likely going to be used one time and then stored until next year or some other New Year's Eve. We are not the types that enjoy champagne on a regular basis. The gold rimmed flutes were $0.25 cents more than the all clear glass flutes. The all clear glass flutes were blown from one piece of glass. The gold rimmed flutes were made of two pieces of blown glass. The top rim was maybe an 1/8" of yellow gold. The manufacturer of both glasses was Libby, so you know we are talking basic glass nothing ultra fancy.

So, the winner was the clear glass flutes. But the one that thought that the gold rimmed glasses were nicer, better, classier, or whatever just can't seem to let it drop. So, we made a decision to let the public, tell us if we avoided the tacky option or not.

TIA Maggie & Gabby

While, I can't bring myself to say they're hideous, I think the gold rimmed glasses maybe passe. I remember my Mom having those glasses. I prefer the plain glass ones.

Of course, I'm dying of curiousity to know who thought what...so after some time you need to tell us what side of the fence you're on!

As long as your purse matches your shoes your flutes can go either way!:lmao:

But seriously, I prefer plain old glass, but I dont think the gold is tacky.

I don't know that gold is tacky, exactly, but maybe not as versatile and timeless as plain. I can't remember if we own champagne flutes or not. We obviously don't drink much champagne around here!:rotfl2:

Seeing how I am a garden variety straight girl my opinion may not be quite as valid as the boys', so spin that however you wish.;) :rolleyes1

Happy New Year to you and Gabby, by the way!:dance3:

We (DW and I) don't think that the gold is tacky.

Although, we've seen fake gold rimmed versions and they are/were tacky.

As long as it's actually real gold, though, we'd say it comes down to personal choice.

As far as I know, we don't have any at all. (I say, as far as I know, because we inherited an assortment of things from my grandmother and we don't always remember what they are if we haven't used them.)

I don't think they are tacky, but given your description of them being "basic" glass, the gold may have worn off. Then that would be tacky, eh?

I like the plain. We have several sets of flutes and all are plain. Not enough matching for a party though. Mis-matched flutes! Now THAT'S tacky! LOL!

Don't worry about your flutes women! Just enjoy ringing in another new year together! :thumbsup2

Every atom of taste I have is in my mouth...so take this for what it's worth: The gold rims sound pretty and festive to me.

I'm in favor of plain glass myself, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the gold rims are tacky. I agree with the previous poster who used the word "passe." Have you ever seen glasses from years past with tired, somewhat worn gold rims? Kinda sad, actually. But yours, of course, would be bright and new, and therefore quite cheery! :thumbsup2

Thanks to everyone that voted and posted. I will go ahead and tell you guys that I was the one that liked the gold rimmed glasses. Gabby, who's usual answer to any sort of decorating question is "I like green." actually is the one that made me feel like I had somewhere tripped over the line of good taste.

As it turns out, the mother outlaw and Josephine decided to call it a night early and it's just me and the Gabster hanging out. We drank our champagne already. I am considering opening up the bottle of wine we bought at the Food & Wine Festival this year to finish off the night.

Happy New Year from the "tacky" one. :laughing: Maggie

Maggie...I don't think it matters what's on the outside of the glass...in my opinion, it's what's INSIDE the glass that matters!!! :goodvibes
Kelley (Victoria, Aaron, and Katharin's mom)

Maggie...I don't think it matters what's on the outside of the glass...in my opinion, it's what's INSIDE the glass that matters!!! :goodvibes
Kelley (Victoria, Aaron, and Katharin's mom)

Well, folks, I would like to introduce you to someone that I know through work. Kelley is a sweetie with 3 precious angels.

Kelley, if you didn't know before, I guess you know now. :rolleyes1 :hug:
There is nothing like getting busted/outing yourself on the DIS. :lmao:

BTW - My trip ticker is shorter than yours! Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter