• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tablets - where to start?

teller80

DIS Veteran
I'm so confused, can someone help me? Whats the difference between an Ipad, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus etc and so on? Is there a quick guide for comparisons? What does one do that the others don't?

Thank you so much!

What are you looking for...that might be an easier approach?

I went to youtube for comparisons when I was looking between the Google Nexus (current gen) vs. the ipad mini. Very helpful.

I am a big fan of my Nexus 7 (current/newer generation). We are a family split between ios (apple) and Google. DH has an iphone, boys have ipod touches, we have an ipad and other ipods + I have a Google Nexus phone and 7" tablet. All are great. I would go to a store and play around with all of them to see what you are getting.

I am not a fan of the Kindle's...not as 'open' and felt wonky to me when I tried to use them. Can't speak to the Galaxy. Best Buy probably stocks everything less the Kindle.

All different operating systems. I love the iPad. Kindle can be a little frustrating but not awful. Don't know about the others. But I like best buy cause you can go in and play around with all of them to see which one works best. Or if you google compare tablets you can find all kinds of websites comparing them but nothing works better than hands on trying.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I was going to buy the Kindle Fire after seeing the Nexus 7 but found that most of the apps I saw on the Nexus 7 that I would use weren't available for the Kindle Fire. I know you can get the Google Play store on the Fire by hacking but that voids the warranty.

The iPad is ridiculously overpriced and completely limited by Apple on what you can do with the piece of equipment. The Kindle Fire is inexpensive and you are limited on what you can do on the piece of equipment. The Samsung Galaxy is what I would buy, but is still too expensive for a play toy in my opinion. I don't have a clue anything about the Google Nexus other than it is a product of another invasive company in my opinion.

That's about it in a nutshell.

On the other hand, because Apple limits what you can and can do and controls completely both the hardware and the OS, its a fairly secure platform and the apps that work on it tend to work consistently. You give up freedom to be able to do whatever you want for SOME (not complete) security when it comes to being compromised or your applications not working. But they are really expensive in comparison to an Android tablet.

I'd make sure that you either by an iOS device (Apple) or an Andriod device, those are the platforms being developed to. If you buy some "who the heck knows what OS is on this thing" you may find yourself with very few applications that can be installed and work.

I also have a Google Nexus 7 and love it. I use it for mostly reading, checking mail, google-ing, and playing games.
My husband has a Toshiba Thrive and uses it for everything. The unique thing about this device is that you can put an SD card in it...He has a camera in the woods that he uses to look for deer and he just takes the card out of the camera and slips it into the Thrive. Most tablets do not have that function so it all depends on what you want to do with yours.

On the other hand, because Apple limits what you can and can do and controls completely both the hardware and the OS, its a fairly secure platform and the apps that work on it tend to work consistently.
Google does the same in the Google Play store.

But they are really expensive in comparison to an Android tablet.
Especially the Google branded tablets. I read that Google subsidizes their tablets like Amazon does.

I'm so confused, can someone help me? Whats the difference between an Ipad, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus etc and so on? Is there a quick guide for comparisons? What does one do that the others don't?

Thank you so much!

iPad - Apple device using apps from the iTunes App Store

Kindle Fire - a device by Amazon.com (it is "sort-of" Android-based). All app purchases must be made through Amazon.com

Most Samsung/Google-branded devices - run the Android operating system. App downloads/purchases are done through "Google Play" (old "Android Market").

Even though you didn't mention it, the (Barnes and Noble) Nook is similiar to the Kindle Fire -- except with this device you can now purchase your apps through Google Play AND B&N...

Both the Kindle and Nook promise to be big (inexpensive) deals on Black Friday...

On the other hand, because Apple limits what you can and can do and controls completely both the hardware and the OS, its a fairly secure platform and the apps that work on it tend to work consistently. You give up freedom to be able to do whatever you want for SOME (not complete) security when it comes to being compromised or your applications not working. But they are really expensive in comparison to an Android tablet.
I'm thinking more in lines of, in 6 months when the memory is no longer enough because apps get bigger or bigger, it costs another $700 for a new iPad vs. $20 for a larger SD card to put in any other tablet.

Or when the battery dies for some reason, it costs $700 for a new iPad vs. $20 for a new battery that can be replaced in any other tablet.

Things like that when I said "what you can do with the piece of equipment" vs. "what you can do on the piece of equipment" as in the Kindle Fire only allowing certain apps through the Amazon market.

I'm thinking more in lines of, in 6 months when the memory is no longer enough because apps get bigger or bigger, it costs another $700 for a new iPad vs. $20 for a larger SD card to put in any other tablet.

Or when the battery dies for some reason, it costs $700 for a new iPad vs. $20 for a new battery that can be replaced in any other tablet.

Things like that when I said "what you can do with the piece of equipment" vs. "what you can do on the piece of equipment" as in the Kindle Fire only allowing certain apps through the Amazon market.

I have a four year old iPad and it still runs all the apps just fine. And batteries and screens are replaceable aftermarket - just replaced the screens on one. You can also break it open and increase the memory after market - though Apple won't tell you that you can - just in case.

I've supported tablets, and I'd rather everyone had iPads for support. They run the applications they are supposed to run without crashing. Too often, my desktop team was looking at someone with a Galaxy and saying "yeah, the version of Andriod Samsung supports doesn't run that app." But they are a lot more expensive, so you get to decide what the trade off will be.

I have a Nook HD which I love but....I recently figured out I can't watch any tv shows from Amazon, Bravo, TLC etc because the Nook won't play them. It also doesn't have a camera which isn't a huge thing to me, but I would like one. The price was awesome and I like the bigger size of the screen.

...if you see any of these in the aftermarket (eBay, Craigslist), I would stay away from them.

Reason being, the first iPads are not upgradable to iOS 7, meaning many shopping/banking apps will no longer work on those devices (the Target app immediately comes to mind) -- plus, since Apple officially no longer supports the first-gen iPads, it could be inviting to hackers, etc.

OTOH, if you are using the device solely for "kids apps", or to play Candy Crush, you should be in good shape...

I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. Right now we have a laptop, my kids have iPhones (5s) and I have an Android phone but will probably switch to an iPhone in the spring. I have a difficult time using my phone for the internet/games because of eyestrain. I want a tablet basically for games, surfing the net, maybe watching movies or reading a book and playing/editing my photos. Because of the latter I'm thinking I need one that has a port for an SD card and flashdrive. Does a device exist for under $500 that meets these needs?

Thanks so much for your time. I know these questions get asked frequently!!!!

I've had a Kindle running the amazon App Store and a nook running android. I personally hated them both. I had an android phone (hated it too) and now an iPhone. I bought an ipad mini this past spring and I love it! I went with the kindle and nook first because of the price. Apple products are more expensive but so worth it in my opinion. Guess I'm just an Apple girl! Next up will definitely be a MacBook. So tired of windows computers getting viruses even with expensive virus protection.

Do any of the tablets play music? My kids have had iPods for a few years and are asking for tablets but they love to listen to their iTunes

I researched a lot on this last year. Had a Nook which I liked a lot but hated the limitations. I read several consumer reports and decided on an iPad mini. Best decision I could have made. Yes, it's more expensive, but well worth the cost. Now just so you know I am a tried and true PC girl and will not give up my Windows PC for anything. I never even bought a single Apple product until the iPad mini...

I will also add that my mother bought a Surface last year and really loves the convenience of a windows PC that is closer in size to a tablet. Its about the same size (different shape) and weight as a regular iPad but with all the features of a PC...and more! Only negative so far the price...

Soupermom said:
I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. Right now we have a laptop, my kids have iPhones (5s) and I have an Android phone but will probably switch to an iPhone in the spring. I have a difficult time using my phone for the internet/games because of eyestrain. I want a tablet basically for games, surfing the net, maybe watching movies or reading a book and playing/editing my photos. Because of the latter I'm thinking I need one that has a port for an SD card and flashdrive. Does a device exist for under $500 that meets these needs?

Thanks so much for your time. I know these questions get asked frequently!!!!

A Samsung Galaxy Tab meets those requirements. You can get the 7, 8, or 10" for under $400. All have an SD card slot and charge via standard micro USB (NO proprietary cables!).

Costco has them for the same price as Amazon, but include a leather pouch for free.

The iPad, Google Nexus, and Kindle/Nook do not have SD card slots.

A Samsung Galaxy Tab meets those requirements. You can get the 7, 8, or 10" for under $400. All have an SD card slot and charge via standard micro USB (NO proprietary cables!).

Costco has them for the same price as Amazon, but include a leather pouch for free.

The iPad, Google Nexus, and Kindle/Nook do not have SD card slots.

My 1st gen Nook has an sd card slot in the back under the plastic cover.

I also have a Nook HD+ that has a sd card slot next to the charger area. I can save movies to the my sd card and upload or save my documents to my sd card and load for work with my bluetooth keyboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter