Tablet for DD's

Happiest mommy

DIS Veteran
Hi DISers!! I know you guys will be able to help me (always do) i'm looking to purchase tablets for my 31/2 and 7 year old DD's, my younger DD has speech delay and I think it might help her as always thank you all for your help :goodvibes

ok so ds13 and ds10 both have ipad and dd3 has a leappad2. I find them all entertaining leappad is great for durability and cheapish to buy but all apps are expensive. I pad though cost more upfront apps can be free or cheap. Both ds have speech and receive services for it but I am a bit confused how a tablet would help??? For learning I have been very happy with leapfrog products, for fun I think the ipad is the winner, and dd3 uses dh all the time no problem.

I just found out that Barnes and Noble has their Nook HD+ on sale for 179.00. However this sale ends tonight. I also do not know if it is at all Barnes and Noble's, but it might be worth a shot. it is 32GB and usually costs 299.99. You might even try online.

I just upgraded my sin's iPad off of Craigslist and got a fairly good deal. It's an iPad 1 with 64GB, 3G, and wireless for $225. Hs old iPad was 16GB, without 3G and I believe we also paid $250 for it. We sold it for $225, and so out of pocket for the upgrade was $25.

Personally with kids that young I wouldn't go for the latest and greatest. iPad's are pretty dingaling friendly, and tough to goof up. They are used a lot with kids on the spectrum as communication devices, and in many speech/language clinics. Both of my sons have very mild forms of autism, and their speech person uses iPads with them during each session. I believe all of the SLP's in clinic have and utilize them frequently.

DS13 has the Kindle Fire and he is able to load books, movies and access he internet. He does homework on it and is able to print to our wireless printer. We paid around $150.

Pirate princess 2 said:
I just found out that Barnes and Noble has their Nook HD+ on sale for 179.00. However this sale ends tonight. I also do not know if it is at all Barnes and Noble's, but it might be worth a shot. it is 32GB and usually costs 299.99. You might even try online.

Wow...that is a great price for that. I love my old Nook Color.
The HD+ is a sweet device
Wonder if they will repeat that

My niece got a Lenovo tablet a little over a year ago for her birthday. The Wi-Fi gave out before the year was up and went back for repairs and then after the 1 yr was up the on/off button gave out. My dad was able to fix it.

We bought my mom a Nextbook. We went with the 8" size as we thought it would be easier for her to read books on than the 7" but still small enough to take in her purse.

My two DS 9 and DD 7 love our iPad. We tried a leappad with DD she liked it, but each game gets expensive.

Also DD has a speech delay, her speech therapist and OT use an iPad with her in therapy. So there are programs on iPad to help with speech specifically.. I do know some of those programs can be pricy but you can always ask what programs the therapist might recommend for help at home.

We also have a kindle fire, DS is using it right now for reading. DD likes the fire, but two things I don't like as well with it. 1)not as may apps and 2) DD has reset it to factory settings twice, so everything has to be reloaded back on. This is one reason DS is now using it for school, there are no apps loaded from the last time she reset it, so nothing he can play with except the books we loaded onto it at home.

I think the best tablet by far with the most available apps is the iPad. I would not go for a tablet made specifically for kids (such as a LeapPad).

My friend's son has had his own iPad since he was 10 months old, at 20 months it is still going strong without a sturdy case.

DD uses an iPad in school as part of her speech therapy, her teachers swear by it. DD is non verbal and the iPad helps her communicate when she is in her regular classes. We do have Kindle Fires and she uses that for games and to watch movies - I use it to go online as well so it does have a lot of uses.

I think the KF is awesome and we would not think of getting an iPad if DD did not NEED it to communicate.

I have a Velocity Micro Cruz T408 ...

http://www.velocitymicro.com/T408.php

I love it ... it run's the Amazon App store which gives away a paid app for free each day. It comes loaded with Android 2.3 but I believe it can be upgraded to the newer 4.0. I've had mine for over 2 years and have had absolutely no problems with it at all.

Sure the Ipads are nice but for the cost of a laptop, I personally would rather have a Laptop as the Ipad is still missing many good features.

Velocity also makes a 10" (the T410) and both models sell for MUCH less than an Ipad

My dad got all of the grandchildren Google Nexus7 tablets this past Christmas. The kids range in age from 6-13 and they all enjoy it. Also DS11 has dropped his several times and there have been no issues.

wow! lots of good input thank you all so much! I really don't know if I want to buy an Ipad I know many of you guys love them but it's a bit too steep for me right now, but please keep your sugestions coming I love them and again thank you all very much! :worship: would some of you mind sharing with me which apps helped with your childrens speech delay? thank you!

My girls are 8 and 10 and they got Samsung Galaxy tablets for Christmas. They both love them and use them all the time. The 8 year old has even dropped hers a few times and it still works great. It's an Android tablet and there are plenty of free apps for it and much cheaper than the Ipad.

Apple store on line will sell refurbished Ipads. You may be able to score a deal but will need to check frequently as inventory changes quickly. Still has 1 year warranty and can't tell difference from brand new full price item.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter