Tables in Wonderland Questions

bytheblood

DIS Veteran
We have decided that the dining plan is not for us anymore. :( It used to be a great deal, but we would spend less paying OOP than we would using the dining plan.

We are considering the Tables in Wonderland Card. I have a few questions about it:

• Can you please tell me how long the card is good for?
  • Where can I purchase this at? Do I do it before arrival or upon arrival?
  • Is the discount 20% off for each location or does it vary from location to location?

Overall, is this a good deal or do you find that with the discount after paying the $75 (AP holder rate) that you pretty much break even? We are going for 10 days and having 8 sit-down meals. As far as i can see, counter service does not apply.

One final question: The list on AllEars is pretty comprehensive (Aug 2010), but the list out on the official Disney website has very few restaurants listed. Which appears to be more accurate? I know generally speaking that Disney should be the correct source, but we all know this is not always the case.

It will expire after the last day of the month following the month you purchased it. (I purchased mine October 4, it expires November 30 of next year)

You can purchase directly through TIW and have it mailed to you, or you can buy it at any Guest Services location at a theme park or Downtown Disney.

The discount is 20% at all locations that accept it.

The All Ears list is currently accurate. The Disney list you have linked to is not a Tables in Wonderland list. It is a list of the regular annual passholder discounts, for which one does not need a TIW membership.

There are nine counter service restaurants (the four value resort food courts, POFQ food court, the counter service at Saratoga Springs, and three CS at Animal Kingdom Park) that accept TIW.

We have decided that the dining plan is not for us anymore. :( It used to be a great deal, but we would spend less paying OOP than we would using the dining plan.

We are considering the Tables in Wonderland Card. I have a few questions about it:

• Can you please tell me how long the card is good for? Generally until the end of the month in which you bought it, or sometimes until the end of the following month!
  • Where can I purchase this at? Do I do it before arrival or upon arrival? On arrival; you buy it at guest services. I've bought it when I upgraded my ticket to an AP. The TiW lasted longer than the AP did.
  • Is the discount 20% off for each location or does it vary from location to location? For each location.
Overall, is this a good deal or do you find that with the discount after paying the $75 (AP holder rate) that you pretty much break even? We are going for 10 days and having 8 sit-down meals. As far as i can see, counter service does not apply. Counter service gets the discount at the Value resorts, POFQ, SSR (I believe), Flame Tree Barbeque and Pizzafaria (both at AK).

One final question: The list on AllEars is pretty comprehensive (Aug 2010), but the list out on the official Disney website has very few restaurants listed. Which appears to be more accurate? I know generally speaking that Disney should be the correct source, but we all know this is not always the case.

See responses above in blue.

I found that I do very well with TiW. Since I went to Victoria & Albert's on this last trip, I made back more than its cost on that meal alone. Even without a meal like that, it can be worth it. The break-even point is spending $375 (pre-discount) in food & beverages. Everything after that is savings.

I'd also bet that All-Ears was more accurate. Disney gives examples, not a comprehensive list.

One big thing will be how many people will be eating at a time? It's good for up to 10 people, so we only have 3 things planned, but we have 9 people eating!! So we'll break even pretty darn fast..

I got it for our last trip and it easily paid for itself...we were 4 adults going, so having it cover wine was fantastic.

Thanks for the quick responses. We are going in January 2011 and again in December. It sounds like that would be a great deal for us since it is good for both trips.

The All Ears list is currently accurate. The Disney list you have linked to is not a Tables in Wonderland list. It is a list of the regular annual passholder discounts, for which one does not need a TIW membership.

Yep - I hyperlinked the wrong page. :rolleyes: :upsidedow

We're going to have to try this next year, planning a 7 day disney trip in May and I think I'll be even or make money on that trip alone, much less the Jan, Feb, Sep, Oct mini trips we take haha.

We've never used the dining plan - not for us.

With TIW, we eat exactly what we want - no waste - and get a great discount to boot :goodvibes

I believe I read somewhere (maybe even on the Dis) that the breakeven point is after you spend over $350. It took us 2 meals (party of 10) to reach that point last June and we have had 3 more trips since then. I am not a fan of the dining plan (too much food) and I much prefer the TIW card. And the fact that I can use it on an adult beverage now and then doesn't hurt either. :thumbsup2

We have the TIW and are really enjoying it so far. Makes everything so simple.

When using the TIW, an 18% gratuity is automatically applied; but we generally tip that much anyway. No calculators needed anymore.

Can you just purchase a TIW with purchasing an AP? Trip planned for 1/11 for 6 and looking for ways to save $$.

Can you just purchase a TIW with purchasing an AP? Trip planned for 1/11 for 6 and looking for ways to save $$.

2 ways that I know of to purchase a TIW membership:
1) as a Annual Passholder
or
2) as a Florida Resident

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter