• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tables In Wonderland question

Squggl3

Earning My Ears
Hello, I am looking into getting a TIW card for me and DH. We are going on a large family trip with 25 people in April. We would like to use the card for up to 20 people at 6-8 different TS meals. I was all set to buy it when I saw a stipulation that the card holder must pay the whole bill? We are all fine with 1 check and obviously I would pay my portion of the bill, but will they let us pay with multiple credit cards or room charges? I cannot put a 20 person meal on my card. Thanks!!

The rules for TiW stipulate that the cardholder must pay the bill. You could ask the server if s/he will accept multiple forms of payment. Some might, but more often you will probably told it cannot be done when using TiW.

Can you buy gift cards and let everyone chip in? Or, let them purchase gift cards and you use them?

Also TIW discount applies to only 10 people, including the cardholder.
I'm glad you posted this. I thought, it was for a limited number of guess. But, there have been sooo many recent changes..I can't keep up!

You won't be able to use multiple room charges since the bill needs to be paid by the cardholder. Maybe pay the check in cash and discreetly collect it when the check arrives or charge it to your room, collect cash from everyone after then put it on your account at the front desk. I don't know how they would handle multiple gift cards but I don't think they would allow you to divvy up the amounts put on each card and would just accept cards until the total of the gift cards will cover the check.

The main TIW card only applies to 10 people but you can get a spouses card for $50 which will allow you to use the discount for 20 people.

As stated above we will have 2 TIW cards so we would each be able to have 10 people (including ourselves) which would equal 20 people total. Sounds like it won't work for us anyway. I'm not going to want the hassle of collecting money from everyone after each meal just to save a small amount of money. And I don't want them to have to carry around large amounts of cash is Disney.

Nothing has really changed with the TiW other than the cost went up.

- Card holder must pay the bill.
- Gathering cash in advance is fine but if using credit card it must be just yours. No splitting up the payments.
- I gathered cash when I used for groups, not interested in post math to figure out who owes what.
- The only exception we had was at Sci Fi Dine In, since they could not seat our party together, and we had different servers, they allowed a different card in each car. Honestly this was more for their benefit than ours.
- Card discounts 10 guests only. You may purchase a spouse card for a reduced rate and then you each can cover 10 people (20).
- With the increased cost of the cards, especially if you need two, many are now finding it not the value it was before.

We'd always charge back to the room. Since many of us were in the same room, anyone could pay towards the balance. Or, they could buy a gift card and pay towards the room charge. Or they could buy a gift card that I'd use to pay the check. You'll have to get a little creative if the 20% discount is worthwhile.

The actual rule is that the cardholder must pay. Sometimes they let that one slide but I certainly can't swear that your server will be one of those who does. The gift card solution seems like it would work, ask your guests if they'll pay you in gift cards.

We'd always charge back to the room. Since many of us were in the same room, anyone could pay towards the balance. Or, they could buy a gift card and pay towards the room charge. Or they could buy a gift card that I'd use to pay the check. You'll have to get a little creative if the 20% discount is worthwhile.
To expand on this, could you charge it all to your room and then let each person pay on your room charge in the amount of their portion of the meal?
This would be a PITA if you were not all at the same resort.
If you are then it isn't too big of a hassle

To expand on this, could you charge it all to your room and then let each person pay on your room charge in the amount of their portion of the meal?
This would be a PITA if you were not all at the same resort.
If you are then it isn't too big of a hassle
They could easily walk into the gift shop next door to the restaurant and buy you a gift card which you could use to pay the check or apply to your room charges.

1) The card is valid for ONLY ten people.
2) As stated above, the bill MUST be paid by the card holder.
3) In fact, if the SERVER sees e-payment money changing hands, they have the right to deny the whole discount!
. . . and, yes, this does happen
. . . after all the tip is mandatory, so the SERVER is not suffering
4) There is a better way to handle it.
. . . charge all ten of the discounted meals to your room
. . . go to the Concierge Desk with the other guests
. . . speak with the Concierge and have the other guests agree with you
. . . the Concierge can transfer the charges from your room to the rooms of the other guests *
. . . in this manner, the others can pay for the meal with their room-charge credit card
5) Just go to the Desk at a non-busy time, or the Concierge might say he/she is too busy to do the transaction.

* It sounds complicated, but, it is not
. . . the Concierge debits the other guest's room
. . . the Concierge credits your room
. . . it really only takes about 3-minutes per transaction

You won't be able to use multiple room charges since the bill needs to be paid by the cardholder. Maybe pay the check in cash and discreetly collect it when the check arrives or charge it to your room, collect cash from everyone after then put it on your account at the front desk. I don't know how they would handle multiple gift cards but I don't think they would allow you to divvy up the amounts put on each card and would just accept cards until the total of the gift cards will cover the check.
r end in 2060; and memberships at Aulani end on January 31, 2062.
Nothing has really changed with the TiW other than the cost went up.

- Card holder must pay the bill.
- Gathering cash in advance is fine but if using credit card it must be just yours. No splitting up the payments.
- I gathered cash when I used for groups, not interested in post math to figure out who owes what.
- The only exception we had was at Sci Fi Dine In, since they could not seat our party together, and we had different servers, they allowed a different card in each car. Honestly this was more for their benefit than ours.
- Card discounts 10 guests only. You may purchase a spouse card for a reduced rate and then you each can cover 10 people (20).
- With the increased cost of the cards, especially if you need two, many are now finding it not the value it was before.
Its not just the cost, but the additional blackout dates. On top of that...don't know, what they'll be next year.

Its not just the cost, but the additional blackout dates. On top of that...don't know, what they'll be next year.

Yes they added some additional block-out dates at 7 restaurants. For us neither those particular dates nor the restaurants would change much for us, but it is something to consider if it would impact someone's plans.

Well thank you everyone, I will pass on the card. Too much work and time out of my vacation to deal with it and its not a considerable savings anyway.

Yes they added some additional block-out dates at 7 restaurants. For us neither those particular dates nor the restaurants would change much for us, but it is something to consider if it would impact someone's plans.
We frequently book reservations for six of the seven restaurants and two dates affect our vacationing habits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter