Tables in Wonderland- Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree with you on the fact a restaurant should not dictate what you give as a tip. In my opinion a tip should be optional and at your own discretion and really only if the server impressed you not just for doing their jobs. In today's society it has become something that is expected and if you don't do it or don't do enough then you are a terrible person. Just my opinion.
And that's why it's not a tip or gratuity, but a service charge - aka a charge for service.

I went to a christmas party here where I live, and it was at this very expensive place. The waiter got the tip added in our bill because there was more than 15 of us. That was the worst service ever. I also have had bad service in wdw. I will cut some off the tip, but if I get good service I will add a few more dollars to it.

Probably the waiter didn't "get" the tip added to your bill, but it - or more specifically a large groups service charge - was added in accordance with the restaurant's policy.

Most restaurants that institute a large groups service charge do so because these groups are frequently (not all, not always) known for miscalculating gratuities to the servers' detriment.

ANY time a diner is experiencing poor service, it should addressed with a manager while it's happening - mandatory service charge or not. Get it fixed. Don't suffer.

I will preface this by saying if it is a stupid question I apologize in advance, but here goes....

If i have the regular DDP and TIW card and use them both at a meal...say I want appetizers and alcohol. Will the 18% tip only be added on to the OOP expenses, or to what the entire meal would have cost?

TIA
You might want to head over to the Restaurants board, and post this in the tipping section.

To us the 18% added onto our bill just saves us from trying to figure out what we will tip out waiters/waitresses. We typically tip 15% when we go out to eat and receive normal service. If we receive great service we are more likely to tip a larger amount. If I feel that we get great service at WDW then I will leave an additional cash tip - but if the service is normal they will just get the 18% that is added.

I'm glad I read this thread though cause I am sure by the time we get to WDW I would have completely forgotten about the tip already being on the TiW and would have added it again myself!

So you have a problem with a Disney/Restaurant policy and you show your disapproval by leaving less than you normally would for the server?
That only hurts the server, who doesn't make the policy.

Please don't punish the server for a policy they HAVE to follow.

You are right.

I am constantly adding more to a tip when I go out with friends. They leave less than 15% of the subtotal which I do not think is enough for most servers. The fact that I usually leave more than 20% of the final amount is extremely generous IMHO.

So,am I really hurting the server? They still get an 18% tip.

What about buffets? Does a waiter at BOMA really deserve a $7 tip per person when I have to serve myself? $28 for a table of four seems a bit excessive for someone who brings drinks and clears the table. I typically only tip 10% at buffets. Am I off the mark here?

I'm a prime example of someone who thought they'd never be taken advantage of in Disney. At the beginning of September, a waitress helped herself to a tip off of my gift card (I normally tip in cash) after I left the restaurant. I only found out because when I went to use the card the next day, the balance seemed awfully low, so I called the gift card hotline and they informed me there had been 2 charges on the card.

Let that just serve as an additional warning to always check your receipt before signing, and make sure that you fill it out in such a way that it cannot be modified after you leave.

This happened to me as well at Jellyrolls. The waitress would not open a tab and made us pay for all drinks individually. I tip once, at the end so I left the tip lines blank. When I looked at the charges later they were all 3 and 4 dollars MORE than they were supposed to be! :headache:We had to call to get it corrected.

Please be vigilant. Very few WDW servers are going to scam you. Heck we've gone constantly for about 5 years (we're local) and it's only happened once. But just because you're in WDW that doesn't automatically make it safe.

You are right.

I am constantly adding more to a tip when I go out with friends. They leave less than 15% of the subtotal which I do not think is enough for most servers. The fact that I usually leave more than 20% of the final amount is extremely generous IMHO.

So,am I really hurting the server? They still get an 18% tip.

What about buffets? Does a waiter at BOMA really deserve a $7 tip per person when I have to serve myself? $28 for a table of four seems a bit excessive for someone who brings drinks and clears the table. I typically only tip 10% at buffets. Am I off the mark here?

Again completely agree with you. Personally I don't see someone getting an 18% tip as being "hurt" that is quite a bit of money when you add up all the tables they are getting that from. IMO 18% is plenty for a tip. If someone feels they were so impressed to give additional then that is up to them. I doubt we will be tipping above the 18% unless someone wows us especially at a buffet where they only supply our drinks. I love not needing to worry about a tip in the TiW though. Normally they way I have done it in the past when I am on the DDP we actually pick an amount and tip every restaurant the same because my mindset is why should one server get a bigger tip just because they work in a restaurant where my meal is more expensive. If someone impressed me then I always added based on service.

But what if the server didn't deserve 18%?
You be proactive. You don't let your experience get to the point where the server didn't deserve X%. You address any service issues while they're happening.

You wouldn't wait to complain about bad food until after the meal, would you?

This happened to me as well at Jellyrolls. The waitress would not open a tab and made us pay for all drinks individually. I tip once, at the end so I left the tip lines blank. When I looked at the charges later they were all 3 and 4 dollars MORE than they were supposed to be! :headache:We had to call to get it corrected.

Please be vigilant. Very few WDW servers are going to scam you. Heck we've gone constantly for about 5 years (we're local) and it's only happened once. But just because you're in WDW that doesn't automatically make it safe.
Never leave the tip line blank - anywhere. Put a line through it, an X, a zero, anything to indicate you're not using that payment method to tip.

I love TIW. I'm told most of the time that the tip is already included, and a little research would definatly show that too. I don't think there's any scam.

I haven't read the entire thread, but on the TIW page, if you read the "benefits", the 18% tip is listed :confused3

TablesinWonderland.png

And that's why it's not a tip or gratuity, but a service charge - aka a charge for service.

From WDW site: A charge of 18% gratuity will be added to all transactions, regardless of party size

Gratuity: 1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
2. something given without claim or demand.

It IS a guaranteed tip regardless of service and now you have to speak up and say something if service is poor, which I believe is wrong. But in all my years I have only had really bad service twice. :wizard: Still I don't think a tip should be added automatically even though I have always tipped the 20% even when it was the Disney Dining Experience when there was no mandatory tip!

If a person isnt going to read their reciepts, then, that is there bad. But you basically insinuated in your original post that the waiter folded the reciept in a way that would hide the 18% on the bill - again - insinuating that he/she was trying to scam an additional tip out of you. Really?

So...what? All people are angels? All servers are angels? Or is it that all servers at Disney are angels? There can't be ONE that would do something that isn't quite right because it's financially advantageous to them?

The whole tipping thing is crazy. I wish we could just pay a price for meals everywhere that includes an actual wage for servers, as they do in a number of other countries... and as we do here for most jobs in most industries.

I have probably used the TIW card at least 50 times and never once has a server tried to hide a tip. I have on occasion added a bit extra to the 18% when the service was excellent. That's why the tip line is there, so you can add extra if you choose.

Sigh....so that it will fit in the receipt holder.

Sure. That happens all the time. Every restaurant I go to, they accordian pleat the receipt so it doesn't project out of the receipt holder. Except that it never happens. Because what purpose would that serve? None. It would just be a time waster in a busy restaurant.

But it IS a convenient excuse for the grift, in case the mark notices . . .

But you go ahead, assume that everything is sunshine and roses.

KCpirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter