Table Service with Toddlers?

E&K's Dad

Mouseketeer
Open for any an all suggestions. Looking for your top three table service locations for dinner (Not Character meals). The key is we are dining with two toddler boys who are in restaurants a few times a month but can be challenging. They can be in the parks or the resorts. My wife and I went on an Adults Only trip last year and eat at the Signature Restaurants but they wouldn't be the best choices for our boys! :littleangel:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It really depends on how old your kids are.

Some suggestions...

Biergarden (Germany)
Sci Fi Dine In (Hollywood Studios)
Teppan Edo (Japan)

My son is 2, so i feel you on dining out! He loves San Angel, because he likes to wave at the boats and there is a lot to look at in there. We also had good luck at 50's Prime Time because the servers are really interactive, there were TVs at the table, and the blinky drink cups kept him riveted.

Biergarten was wonderful for my daughter. She loved watching the band. She also liked watching the people dance.

I would think Coral Reef might be fun if you were able to get a table close to the aquarium for your kids to watch the fish. We might be trying this one next year for our daughter and new little one.

'Ohana is fun for little guys because they offer games and activities for kids to participate in. When my son was 3 we did this for the first time and he LOVED it. He's now 14 and still wants to go back every trip.

Whispering Canyon is also another fun one for kids. This place is loud, but fun. Kids have stick horse races around the restaurant. And the servers are really funny.

Hope this helps a little! Have a great trip! :goodvibes

I tend to pick resturaunts that tend to be noisy that way if one of my kids is acting up or just being difficult it is not as bad.

We did Yek and Yeti and both of my girls 1 1/2 and 4 weren't having the best of days we were trying to hurry and eat to get the heck out of there. So this year lesson learned we are doing mostly buffets. I think we will try Sci-Fi this year also. My younger dd is doing better in resturaunts she just turned 2 and as long as she is not in a highchair she is fine. This year they will be 2 1/2 and 5. I'm hoping for a better experience this year.

My son was 19 months when we went; and he loved the Sci Fi Diner, Chefs de France (that Ratatouille was great) and Hoop dee Doo.

My son is a toddler also:
These went over best with him in the fall:
Coral Reef (watching the fish kept him happy)
T Rex Cafe (we all LOVED this one, but is not on dining plan)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (noisy and lots going on)

And of course we also did lots of character meals which kept him happy. He didnt sit very well at: Tutto Italia and Ohana (though there is a lot of activity to keep the kids entertained, it was the last night of trip and I think he had had it with sitting still LOL)

Last year we went to Ohana, Whispering Canyon and Chef Mickey's (though you are not looking for a character meal, DGS3 loved it). On our Ohana day we had been at MK all day and I was amazed at how much DGS3 ate. DD26 (his mom) couldn't cut the steak or turkey fast enough. Same with Whispering Canyon he got the skillet and though the kids skillet doesn't come with the beef brisket (the adult does and 3 of us had that) we had to ask for more because he loved it so much. Waiter was very nice and didn't say anything about DGS3 eating it. Likes others have said WCC is loud but not too loud that DGD5 months woke up. DD26 fed her just as we sat down and by the time the meal came DGD5 months was sound asleep. This happened at every meal. We had a very good dining experience. Not sure how this year will be because DGD will be 17 months during our next trip. But luckily she loves to eat so hopefully that will keep her entertained.

My daughter (who is now 4), did great at all the charecter meals. She also did really well at Biergarten, Teppan Edo, Ohana, Sci Fi,and 50's Prime time.

Last year our DS was 18 months and he did well at 50s Prime Time and Whispering Canyon...lots of distractions at both places!!

Have fun!!

We went last year with grandkids that were 8,2,and 1. This year we are going with a 4month old and a 2 year old. Last year was challenging and I bet this year will be too. We have only booked 3 res and they are at buffets. I think kids need to get food fast and so do two of my sons which are 20 and 28. We have O'hanas, Cape May, and Germany. We may go to Rainforest and a few other faster places but we try not to go to places that take a long time and a lot of money. At the buffets we know exactly what we will be spending and that is good when you have a lot of people.

Just a different thought: What is good for kids in general may not be good for a toddler.

With a toddler I might actually avoid the hoopla of places like 'Ohana and Whispering Canyon. With all the other kids getting up and running around, it might discourage sitting on one's bottom and focusing on actually eating a few bites of food. Finding that magic balance between lots to look at, but not too much activity to get the kiddo riled up is a tricky thing.

Coral Reef would be a good choice (FISH!). I think some of the smaller resort restaurants (The Wave, Kona Cafe) might also be good choices. I find buffets a little daunting with more than one kid, but they can work OK. Boma has some good kids choices as well as interesting adult choices.

Have a great trip!

With my toddler son we did Whispering Canyon, 'Ohana, Cape May Clambake. They were noisy enough so many children no one would mind that he got up a few times.

Biergarden is my vote. We've been there twice (DS was 2 and 3 years old when we were there). The show keeps their interest, the food is generic enough and its a buffet (so you pace yourself/family).

T-Rex would be fun too. We had lunch there today (in KC), lots of action going on, food basic and other possible fun inside.

Biergarten,Ohana,Coral Reef,andTeppan Edo get my votes. All these restaurants have some entertainment factor for the kids and food is very good for your enjoyment also.

If you want something a little higher on the food chain, I have to say that California Grill is delightful and probably the noisiest signature restaurant of all!

Also, I've found at CA Grill and Yachtsman Steakhouse that when our son petered out before a leisurely dinner was over, the wait staff are very eager and happy to make a little chair "bed" complete with table linen "blankets." I'd have never asked for such a thing, but on several occasions, the waiter has insisted and seemed very pleased with his or her handiwork. (Of course, my son was always one of those "will sleep anywhere" kind of kids, which helps.)

A kind of hidden gem IMO is the Captain's Grill at the Yacht Club (I think that's the name of it now). The food is good and it's usually pretty calm (though not quiet).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter