Table service places - walk in

elmom

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW in 2 weeks. I didn't make a lot of dining plans ahead of time. We don't do buffets (we just don't get our moneys worth out of them). And, honestly, I have been so busy with a cross country move, I haven't had a lot of time to plan. So I am just now getting to it (luckily my travel agent took care of fast passes and a few other things for me).

That said, we prefer table service meals usually for lunch and always for dinner. Some quick service is fine for breakfast and a few lunches, but it always feels hectic and I feel like I am juggling everything. Hubby enjoys a beer or wine with his dinner. And I think a table service place would be a nice break from a busy day.

But now I am nervous. Did I mess up by not reserving our meals? Can we find table service places we can walk into and be seated relatively quickly in most parks? It will be 8 days at a low crowd time.

Also, we are staying in the contemporary on club level. Looking at pictures, it doesn't look like we can do full meals (even as light eaters) with what they offer. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks so much. You disney gurus are my heros!

If it's just you and hubby then you have options in Epcot - world showcase - Morocco at both table service locations, in Italy at Tutto Gusto for sure (cause they don't take ressies), Tokyo Dining never has a crowd . In AK - Yak & Yeti - if not at a table then at the bar with full menu, for DHS - Brown Derby outdoor location/tables - full menu walk-ups and 50's Prime Time Tune-In Lounge area with full menu. The only one you might have more difficult will be MK - perhaps the Plaza - if not nothing then just go back over to the Contemporary and check with The Wave - they have a great bar area with full service also - !

I think ya'll will be fine and since your schedule is flexible you can follow the go early or go later than "normal" times for lunch and/or dinner - ENJOY!

If it's just you and hubby then you have options in Epcot - world showcase - Morocco at both table service locations, in Italy at Tutto Gusto for sure (cause they don't take ressies), Tokyo Dining never has a crowd . In AK - Yak & Yeti - if not at a table then at the bar with full menu, for DHS - Brown Derby outdoor location/tables - full menu walk-ups and 50's Prime Time Tune-In Lounge area with full menu. The only one you might have more difficult will be MK - perhaps the Plaza - if not nothing then just go back over to the Contemporary and check with The Wave - they have a great bar area with full service also - !

I think ya'll will be fine and since your schedule is flexible you can follow the go early or go later than "normal" times for lunch and/or dinner - ENJOY!

It will be me and hubby and our two kids (9 and 10). But the kids are willing to eat a variety of things (sushi is their favorite). Bar won't work because hubby uses a wheelchair.

We do tend to eat at off hour times. Like lunch at 2 or 3 then dinner 4-5 hours later. And snacking in between can help that.

We've had good luck with walk ups at Via Napoli for our family of four between 2-4pm. but of course, there is no guarantee. As long as you have a counter service back up plan, taking a chance on walk ups can be the way to go. Good luck. :goodvibes

Also, we are staying in the contemporary on club level. Looking at pictures, it doesn't look like we can do full meals (even as light eaters) with what they offer.

Breakfast is continental. There isn't much mid-day, and evening runs more to appetizers and desserts and drinks. So I would say you can do breakfast, and then maybe one "big" meal.

That said, not having ADRs you will have limited choices. A lot of places won't take walk-ups, being either fully booked, or because they don't much. If they have space, it's CM discretion. The places that most frequently have walk-up, you can either make an ADR day-of and save yourself the question of CM discretion, or they're the places no one else wanted to eat.

One thing to consider doing: Look for reservations the night before, or the morning of. People have to cancel ADRs 24 hours out or be charged fees. But you will have more reliable service if you walk up with a reservation. You may find yourself eating counter service more often than not without.

Last edited:
For 4 people your options are more limited, but if you're willing to eat at "off" times like right at opening or late night dinners that will help a lot, also if you eat at less popular but still delicious places. Also I've generally found it easier to get last minute reservations at resorts than at parks just because there's less people trying to go to them. Animal Kingdom Lodge might be a great option for you, off peak I can't imagine Boma being booked up and it's amazing, Sanaa is great too although I always say for lunch so you can see the safari.

Also consider options at the Swan & Dolphin, they're much less visited but really have great food. We ate at Bluezoo on our last trip and I can't stop raving about how amazing it is (second best meal I've had on property only topped by Victoria & Albert's), Il Mulino was good too, they have a supposedly great sushi place and steakhouse I haven't tried but will soon.

Don't forget checking out Disney Springs. It tends to have availability when other places are sold out (I saw a party of 6 get a Christmas dinner reservation at Bongos less than 24 hours before on our last trip and they had other DS options). There's lots of new places to try out there and lots of live entertainment at night too.

I actually just posted a big list of my top ADR tips (both for 180 days out and for closer to the date) so if you want some more ideas they're there. All of that said, I wouldn't stress too much. I know it's different when it's 2 people but hubby and I have had no problems making crazy last minute reservations even during spring break. With 4 people it'll be a little tougher but going off peak I think you'll be fine
:)

Last edited:
- I think you will be fine finding something at Epcot and Disney Springs as walk up.
- While resorts are a great option, you won't want to make the trip if not sure so I suggest you get on your MDE app in the morning and see if something is open you can book and know for sure on arrival.
- MK is going to be difficult, although for now Skippers Canteen is walk up only.
- AK you should be able to do Rainforest and maybe Yak & Yeti.
- DHS never know, sometimes they work you in but I see lots turned away.

I think my one worry for you is you prefer two TS a day and I wouldn't want to leave that many meals a gamble - so if you have gotten your FP+ you should know about where you will be so why not try to book some now. I leave in two weeks and am just now booking a few too.

Last edited:

When we were there in Sept/Oct I was able to change some times and some restaurants while we were there for a party of 4. I had great luck at Boma for breakfast and dinner, Via Napoli, and there was one other I moved I can't remember. Most of the moves I did were later in the evening the day before I wanted to go. I think because of the cancellation charge people are making sure to cancel before midnight. Good luck!

You can also go online and check for cancellations. With the $10 per person cancellation fee many will cancel within a few days of a reservation so if you know which park you'll be visiting a day or 2 or 3 in advance you can check to see what is available in the park or nearby resort and make a reservation then. We've also had luck making reservations on the day of.

In a nutshell, "It will be hit & miss" finding something. The really popular places may be hard to get, but there are places, as mentioned in previous posts that should be easy to get in to. I know that we got turned away at a lot of our first choices and had to settle for what we could find that had room for us. Good luck.

I would start looking for openings now, and as you get closer there may be some you want. Also, as others have pointed out, the day before may work because folks cancel then to avoid the fee.

I do not think that the lounge can provide an adequate dinner for your family, but you can have a nice light breakfast and be on your way. WE liked the appetizer selection because we tend to eat late, and the offerings were great way to hold us over (and let the rest of the slow pokey family get ready) til dinner. Also, the concierge may be able to assist in securing meals for you, especially since you are not looking for the same time most folks like to eat. Late lunches or early dinners may be easier to get and they can be on the look out if you ask them.

We are going to WDW in 2 weeks. I didn't make a lot of dining plans ahead of time. We don't do buffets (we just don't get our moneys worth out of them). And, honestly, I have been so busy with a cross country move, I haven't had a lot of time to plan. So I am just now getting to it (luckily my travel agent took care of fast passes and a few other things for me).

That said, we prefer table service meals usually for lunch and always for dinner. Some quick service is fine for breakfast and a few lunches, but it always feels hectic and I feel like I am juggling everything. Hubby enjoys a beer or wine with his dinner. And I think a table service place would be a nice break from a busy day.

But now I am nervous. Did I mess up by not reserving our meals? Can we find table service places we can walk into and be seated relatively quickly in most parks? It will be 8 days at a low crowd time.

Also, we are staying in the contemporary on club level. Looking at pictures, it doesn't look like we can do full meals (even as light eaters) with what they offer. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks so much. You disney gurus are my heros!

Yes I think you messed up not reserving your meals. It sounds like you would like lunch & dinner most days and with DH in a WC travel will be more difficult. IN PARK ADRs will be very difficult. As PP have stated look the night before as folks do cancel then.
Good Luck

We have had luck checking for reservations the night before. Some things seem to open up.

it works in your plan, you could take a boat to Wilderness Lodge for the Whispering Canyon or to Fort Wilderness for Trails End. We really enjoyed our last minute decisions to eat at both for lunch.

I was just looking at possibly changing ADRs for the four nights we are there (1/19-23) and EVERY restaurant I checked had many openings for a party of 2 (Saana, H&V, Sci-Fi for breakfast, 50s, Rainforest at both locations, and more). I am very surprised. If we are only a week out, what are the chances that will change? If its going to be that open, I'd just as soon cancel what we have and make the ADRs the night before.

I was just looking at possibly changing ADRs for the four nights we are there (1/19-23) and EVERY restaurant I checked had many openings for a party of 2 (Saana, H&V, Sci-Fi for breakfast, 50s, Rainforest at both locations, and more). I am very surprised. If we are only a week out, what are the chances that will change? If its going to be that open, I'd just as soon cancel what we have and make the ADRs the night before.
Why not just hang on to what you have now? Check the night before your ADR's and cancel/make changes at that point if you find a more desirable ADR restaurant or time. There's no point in cancelling now and then not getting anything you want.

First let me say as long as you are willing to be flexible you haven't made a mistake at all. We don't typically make ADRs (I don't know what I want to eat tonight let alone what I'll be craving 3 months from now) and instead make day of dining reservations based upon what is available and what we are hungry for. We are usually a party of three and have had no issues at all with getting into a ton of "hard to get" restaurants. You can check out my signature for details, but using this style we've eaten at California Grill, Sanna, Via Napoli, Kona, The Plaza, Jiko, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Flying Fish, San Angel Inn, and Teppan Edo to name but a few.

You can also make reservations via Open Table for the non-Disney owned restaurants like Raglan Road, Morimoto Asia, and a few others and not have to worry about a cancellation fee.

- I think you will be fine finding something at Epcot and Disney Springs as walk up.
- While resorts are a great option, you won't want to make the trip if not sure so I suggest you get on your MDE app in the morning and see if something is open you can book and know for sure on arrival.
- MK is going to be difficult, although for now Skippers Canteen is walk up only.
- AK you should be able to do Rainforest and maybe Yak & Yeti.
- DHS never know, sometimes they work you in but I see lots turned away.

I think my one worry for you is you prefer two TS a day and I wouldn't want to leave that many meals a gamble so if you have gotten your FP+ you should know about where you will be so why not try to book some now. I leave in two weeks and am just now booking a few too.

This! I was going to respond, and then I realized HopperFan said exactly all the points I was going to say.

I would say that going in January, you should be okay at a lot of venues on Sunday night and the weekdays--Mon to Thurs. It's the Friday night, Saturday all meals, and Sunday break & lunch you may have to worry about, especially if your week includes the Martin Luther King holiday weekend--then Sunday night and Monday will be busy as well. Overall, the only things I would worry about at this point is if you really are set on Be Our Guest and Cinderella's Royal Table--you can probably forget either of those. You might still be able to get lunch at Be Our Guest. I'm jealous--wish I were going again that soon--have to wait until April--poor me:sad1:!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter